Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member and new to the Transporter world

Hi guys,

Came across this forum through Facebook on my hunt for my very first van.

Been a VW fan my whole life owning a range of cars from the VAG scene.

Recently had an idea of getting myself a van, although also in the process of saving for a mortgage - so funds are stretched. Also the missus is on my case lol.

I recon it's do able though, do the hunt goes on.

I'm going to view a van at the weekend. A 2003 T4 888 special x pack. Currently sat at 84,000k. It's currently a panel van too.

Looks great from the pictures, going to view and test drive at the weekend.

My plans are to insulate and carpet the back. And get some windows in. Not sure whether to window both sides and the rear? Or just one side and the rear. Or not the rear at all!

I'm doing plenty research and seeing what I can do. Would love to be part of meets and shows too so I'll get around to as many as I can once I have a van!

Anyway, that's me.

Cheers folks.

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

Hi Mike, welcome on board. Keep us updated and I'd definitely get some windows in the back, up to you where though mate. Once windows are in and a couple of other jobs done, get it converted to motorhome with DVLA, cheaper insurance, Low emission zone compliant and speed limits on A roads will be the same as a car.

Comment

welcome and good luck with the hunt

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Nozzle View Post
        Hi Mike, welcome on board. Keep us updated and I'd definitely get some windows in the back, up to you where though mate. Once windows are in and a couple of other jobs done, get it converted to motorhome with DVLA, cheaper insurance, Low emission zone compliant and speed limits on A roads will be the same as a car.
        That was on the list to do in time, I didn't realise that as a van it had different speed limits?

Sent from my iPad using Just T4s

Comment

Welcome mike how about some pics

Comment

Originally posted by mikemassey90 View Post
            Hi guys,

Came across this forum through Facebook on my hunt for my very first van.

Been a VW fan my whole life owning a range of cars from the VAG scene.

Recently had an idea of getting myself a van, although also in the process of saving for a mortgage - so funds are stretched. Also the missus is on my case lol.

I recon it's do able though, do the hunt goes on.

I'm going to view a van at the weekend. A 2003 T4 888 special x pack. Currently sat at 84,000k. It's currently a panel van too.

Looks great from the pictures, going to view and test drive at the weekend.

My plans are to insulate and carpet the back. And get some windows in. Not sure whether to window both sides and the rear? Or just one side and the rear. Or not the rear at all!

I'm doing plenty research and seeing what I can do. Would love to be part of meets and shows too so I'll get around to as many as I can once I have a van!

Anyway, that's me.

Cheers folks.

That'll be JPs van then?

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
              That'll be JPs van then?

I'm not sure lol

It's from the T4 Facebook group

Comment

I'm not sure lol

It's from the T4 Facebook group

White one in Kettering?

Comment

So, if the V5 says it's a camper then it is exempt from the requirements of LEZ? No matter which engine you have?

According to the TfL website, when I enter my reg it says that the fee is payable on my 2.4 Caravelle that the V5 states is a camper van.

Comment

Originally posted by Burgmeister View Post
                    So, if the V5 says it's a camper then it is exempt from the requirements of LEZ? No matter which engine you have?

According to the TfL website, when I enter my reg it says that the fee is payable on my 2.4 Caravelle that the V5 states is a camper van.
                    You have to downplate the vehicle first, i.e. get a new VIN plate made up that states your Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) is under 2500kg (I went for 2495kg), You can get a VIN sticker that you just put over the old one under the bonnet then take a photo of it and email TfL with the photo attached, along with a photo of your V5, stating your vehicles GVW is under 2.5 tonnes and registered as a motor caravan. They amend it almost as soon as receiving it and update their database accordingly.
                    I hope that makes sense, if not, just ask.

Comment

That was on the list to do in time, I didn't realise that as a van it had different speed limits?

Sent from my iPad using Just T4s
                      Goods vehicles under 7.5 tonnes can only legally do 50mph on national speed limit single carriageways and 60mph on national speed limit dual carriageways.
                      There's been a few drivers at my work who've been caught by ANPR camera's that instantly know you're driving that class of vehicle. Notice of prosecution to the employer then fed down to the driver.
                      I'll do a separate thread now stating the legislation.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                        White one in Kettering?

No not that one - although sounds appealing lol.

Comment

You have to downplate the vehicle first, i.e. get a new VIN plate made up that states your Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) is under 2500kg (I went for 2495kg), You can get a VIN sticker that you just put over the old one under the bonnet then take a photo of it and email TfL with the photo attached, along with a photo of your V5, stating your vehicles GVW is under 2.5 tonnes and registered as a motor caravan. They amend it almost as soon as receiving it and update their database accordingly.
                          I hope that makes sense, if not, just ask.
                          How do you get a new VIN plate made up and doesn't that look rather dodgy when you go to sell it again?
                          What does the GVW mean? Isn't that the how much the vehicle weighs? So you just pluck a value out of mid air?

Seems odd that you can do that.

Comment

There's loads of companies that will make a VIN sticker for you. Have a google search, I used vintagsuk.com you just stick it over the old one. The Gross Vehicle Weight is the total weight of your vehicle including everything you carry. LEZ is for vehicles with a GVW of + 2.5tonnes, if you lower it 2.4 tonnes you are not allowed to exceed that weight. I weighed mine fully laden with camping gear, full tank of fuel and it came in under 2 tonnes. It's called downplating a vehicle. You can also up plate too. [emoji106]

Comment

great information Mr Nozzle

Comment

Working...
                              X