Newbie to bee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie to bee

Hi all I am looking at purchasing a T4 camper van, I am hoping you guys can help me with the assistance in buying a van. Is there any tell tail signs you can advise me of while am searching for a van. It would be more mechanical things really. Don't want to buy a van that needs a full engine rebuild. Also What sort of mileage should I stay away from. All the help give would be much appreciated.

Thanks Gee

Welcome mate, your in the right place for advice. Some of the guys and gals on here can probably offer more advice than I can but here are the things I have learnt along the way.

Rust- sills, arches, sliding door runner, windscreen( which I'm sorting at mo)

Service history- goes alone way, take your time to go through it don't feel under pressure.

Personally I think the 2.5td engines are better,

How does the gear box feel and sound.

If nothing else follow your gut instinct.

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

Comment

Originally posted by chally69 View Post
      Welcome mate, your in the right place for advice. Some of the guys and gals on here can probably offer more advice than I can but here are the things I have learnt along the way.

Rust- sills, arches, sliding door runner, windscreen( which I'm sorting at mo)

Service history- goes alone way, take your time to go through it don't feel under pressure.

Personally I think the 2.5td engines are better,

How does the gear box feel and sound.

If nothing else follow your gut instinct.

Exactly what chally69 says. I've got a 1.9td, but wish I had a 2.5tdi. Also, Don't be put off by things going wrong though. These are old vehicles and parts need to be changed, sooner or later. There's a good social community with this group. My van has been off the road for a quite a few weeks and I miss driving it.

Comment

If you're happy to plod along, 1.9TD will do you fine, slow on the flat, even slower on the hills!
        2.5TDI is a better engine, but more complicated, more to go wrong...
        Yep with the rust, poke around lots.
        Drive it (drive plenty...), you'll soon know what a good one feels like. Check the gears engage easily, and you can find them! Clunks, clicks, knocks, creaks? Beat them down on the price - those things will cost to put right (goes without saying really!).
        Lastly, most importantly;
        - Chasis numbers check out
        - HPI check
        - Has is it been a write-off?
        Sadly there's a few out there that try and capitalise on our scene.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Just T4s
        '00 1.9TDI LWB, '87 Mk2 Golf 16v

Wheel or tyre question? Just ask, it's what i do!

Comment

Hi Gee, welcome to the forum. As above really, check service history, you're looking for new cam belt and water pump at recommended intervals. Check if it smokes on start up. Check it fires up ok from cold. Have a look under the bonnet and get your head right in looking for oil or water leaks. Test drive and aim for the odd pot hole to check for anything naughty. Don't be afraid to walk away from a suspect T4 because there's plenty of good one's out there.

Comment

Thanks everyone it's much appreciated, I'll let you know how am getting on.

Adventure Van. where will I find the chassis number ?

Comment

Stamped in the scuttle panel - can't remember which side (the bit between the bonnet and the windscreen - you may have to look quite hard).
              There's a plastic plate with it on the dashboard, passenger side (I use mine for car park tickets!&#128077.
              And of course, in the V5.

Wheel or tyre question? Just ask... it's kinda what I do! 👍
              '00 1.9TDI LWB, '87 Mk2 Golf 16v

Wheel or tyre question? Just ask, it's what i do!

Comment

Right guys hopefully found a van looks like it has had some mechanical work done and going to have a look at it tomorrow what advice I would like is how much do you think it is worth hopefully the link works below

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/222271061893...&ul_noapp=true

Comment

If the above doesn't work here's description

Here for sale is my 2003 VW transporter t4. I am having to sell this due to new cr and job I just haven't got the room and think wont have the time to fully enjoy anymore.
                  she had a BRAND NEW engine fitted in 08/07/2013 at a cost of 5k this is a NEW engine from VW and various new parts fitted at the same time. since fitting the engine has only covered 13.935 miles so many thousand good miles left it in yet.
                  she has a full width rock & roll bed fitted at streamline in Wolverhampton at a cost of £1000. this is stitched with red diamonds. front seats are stitched the same and the drivers set has a tear in the side. where it has come away with getting in and out of the van. it has led lights fitted in the roof and Van-x blinds fitted inside.
                  also it has had new discs & pads fitted all round with four new wheels and tyres. new track rods and recently new master cyclinder. I have a few bills from the work I have had done.
                  the van has some age related comestic marks but it is sound.

Comment

Looks like a good'n. An honest starting price there too. I see the listing ended last night, did you get it?

Comment

No I didn't but off to have a look tomorrow not far away fro me, so what do you reckon it's worth?

Comment

Impossible to say without a thorough examination. A couple of questions I'd be asking - it's advertised as a 2.5tdi but only 88bhp, is it really a tdi? Check the v5 document and under the bonnet should be your intercooler. Is the air con standard or aftermarket? Check that it works.

Comment

Cheers

Comment

88s don't have intercooler and they are 2.5tdis

living the dream

Comment

Thank you very much guys would like to say ian am a proud owner of a T4 picking to up next friday

Comment

Working...
                              X