• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Its always time for a cider.

Comment

• Originally posted by Adventure Van View Post
      Sennen Cove... Best parking spot in Cornwall! [emoji106]

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Just T4s
      Another for the calender we will never get round to doing. Stunning.
      Me cago en la madre que te pariĆ³!

Comment

• Is that Africa in the distance?

Comment

• Originally posted by S49 View Post
          Is that Africa in the distance?
          Depends how far your looking

Comment

Cracking place - nearly died there when I was about 15. Though I was a decent body-boarder, but got rinsed by a huge wave and stuck to the sea bed by the current. Got a bollocking from both my dad and a lifeguard.

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

Comment

• Hope you've told the lifeguards your moving down there.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sirfbum View Post
                Cracking place - nearly died there when I was about 15. Though I was a decent body-boarder, but got rinsed by a huge wave and stuck to the sea bed by the current. Got a bollocking from both my dad and a lifeguard.

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
                Loved body boarding in Watergate bay!! Cheapo bit of polli irene that someone moulded into a suitable shape and hours of fun!!!!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Just T4s

Comment

That parking spot is almost in the Atlantic looks great.
                  Tis a great spot...

Camped here a few years back, in the very same space - as we rolled into the car park this morning it was empty... Perfect! Spent the day there, walking the coast path, then chilling... Watching the waves on the rocks and listening to some music. [emoji106]

'00 1.9TDI LWB, '87 Mk2 Golf 16v

Wheel or tyre question? Just ask, it's what i do!

Comment

Yep - you aint kidding - Love Sennen

One of the main reasons I got my first T4 was to shoot down to lands end on a whim

Click image for larger version

Name:	rooby@sennen.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	263554

Had a week long stag do around Levant - just love that region of Cornwall
                    Last edited by regcheeseman; 8 April 2018, 11:25 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Greeny gtc View Post
                      Loved body boarding in Watergate bay!!

Better than waterboarding in Guantanamo Bay.

Reg. Is that your first t4? If so, got anymore pics? Enough for a mini build thread?

Comment

• Originally posted by arfur fox-acre View Post
                        Better than waterboarding in Guantanamo Bay.

Reg. Is that your first t4? If so, got anymore pics? Enough for a mini build thread?
                        Not wrong Arf!!!

Comment

Is that Africa in the distance?
                          No it's the scilly isles [emoji23]

Sent from my vernee_M5 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Okay, so I've been starting some engine mods, which means some dismantling was needed... And it's produced a question, a question for those with turbo experience - you know who you are!

First pic is the compressor housing from my ABL turbo - very rough on the inside, has something beaten it up? Compressor wheel is perfect, no dents to the blades etc. Or is it just poorly finished from the factory?

Second is the compressor housing from the AHU turbo - smooth internal surface, it done less miles, about 50k less.

The only thing different, from what I can tell is where the pressure for the N75 feeds from.

Shall I take this opportunity to swap the housings over? Even though the ABL turbo was boosting fine? [emoji848]

Last edited by Adventure Van; 14 April 2018, 10:18 PM.

Comment

• Reads like the ABL compressor housing has been worn by the compressor wheel. Should be smooth. Check the compressor wheel blade tips. Pinch each blade and draw your pinch off of it . It should not catch and be super smooth. Was there a large rubber 'O' ring recessed in the housing? Check the shaping of the two housings. They look different in the pics, be careful when trying the AHU over the ABL compressor wheel. Don't worry about the boost feed but make sure the mounting bracket for the wastegate actuator is located in the same spot otherwise your pre-load tension will change. You'll need to try and match the ABL to AHU tesion possibly from a new angle, mounting position etc. So mock it up first! Might need boost pipes...

Sent from my SM-G901F using Just T4s

Comment

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
                                Reads like the ABL compressor housing has been worn by the compressor wheel. Should be smooth. Check the compressor wheel blade tips. Pinch each blade and draw your pinch off of it . It should not catch and be super smooth. Was there a large rubber 'O' ring recessed in the housing? Check the shaping of the two housings. They look different in the pics, be careful when trying the AHU over the ABL compressor wheel. Don't worry about the boost feed but make sure the mounting bracket for the wastegate actuator is located in the same spot otherwise your pre-load tension will change. You'll need to try and match the ABL to AHU tesion possibly from a new angle, mounting position etc. So mock it up first! Might need boost pipes...

Sent from my SM-G901F using Just T4s
                                Cheers Activ8... [emoji106]

No sign, or feel of any damage to the compressor wheel blades (could it have been rebuilt at some point?).

Pictures are a bit misleading in terms of sizes - but I will check with a vernier caliper. Part numbers are the same except for the last letter (VW part no. that is...).

Outlets are the same diameter (a very awkward 36mm), but I am redoing the boost pipes/elbows - trying to make the flow smoother and less restrictive. I'm fitting a PD130/150 inlet manifold, to improve air flow and to help make the hose runs shorter - manifold is from a Passat/A4 so the inlet is on the gearbox side.

Because of the taller manifold design, I will have to 'clock' the turbo upwards slightly to clear it (didn't want to go downwards as I want happy running the boost pipes past the hot exhaust manifold). Had to modify the inlet slightly for clearance on the compressor housing...

Should still be enough room to put part of the OE ABL heat shield back in though.

Last edited by Adventure Van; 15 April 2018, 07:34 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X