No announcement yet.

Adventure Van Build Thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Staying in Fortrose tonight... No pics yet.
    Was on the shores of Loch Ness last night, after some mountain biking and sight seeing.

Site was pretty much empty, apart from a few hired motorhomes and a red high roof T4.

John O'groats tomorrow all being well! [emoji106]

Thought I'd throw up a few more random photos for Scotland...

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Just T4s
    Last edited by Adventure Van; 21 November 2018, 09:43 PM.
    '00 1.9TDI LWB, '87 Mk2 Golf 16v

Wheel or tyre question? Just ask, it's what i do!

Comment

• Looking good there bud. Hope it's been relaxing? Keep the pics coming.

Comment

• lush. I love Scotland. I remember opening the lock in Fort William when i was about 8 years old (38 now) such an awesome country. the scenery and people are amazing.

Comment

• About 6 months back I bought a cheap 'tuning' box off of fleabay - I didn't have high hopes, and it didn't even come close to breaking them... No discernible increase in power, just a slight fluctuation to tickover speed. Tried winding it up (down?), but not much change, adjusted again - not much to shout about. Now I've read about the 'evry mod', seems quite popular - champagne performance increase, on lemonade money!
          So, I took the tuning box apart ..

Inside was this... Which is kinda what I expected.

It's essentially an 'evry mod', in a posh box with a switch. I tested the variable resistor, and it actually took a lot of turns to drop the resistance down to a level where it would have made a noticeable difference. No wonder it didn't work that well - instructions suggested only turning it a few times!

So, I've picked up some bits to make my own version, hopefully using the original box, and extending the wiring so it can offer some 'on the fly' adjustability.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Just T4s
          Last edited by Adventure Van; 21 November 2018, 09:13 PM.

Comment

• What does it do?
            Me cago en la madre que te parió!

Comment

• Originally posted by arfur fox-acre View Post
              What does it do?
              It either fools the ECU regarding fuel temperature, or does something to the injection quantity...

A remap would be better, but you can't map my ECU, only socket and chip it - and there ain't many people left in this part of Devon with the expertise to do that (and the price is a bit steep at the mo!).

Comment

• Originally posted by Adventure Van View Post
                It either fools the ECU regarding fuel temperature, or does something to the injection quantity...

A remap would be better, but you can't map my ECU, only socket and chip it - and there ain't many people left in this part of Devon with the expertise to do that (and the price is a bit steep at the mo!).

The ECU despite its 8 bit brain just reverts to its maps and adjusts accordingly. So, all it will do is adjust the air fuel ratio so you'll be rollin coal. It will add more fuel in the lower rev range to warm the fuel to get to temp. Assuming your particular 1.9tdi map is similar to the 2.5tdi then the timing will be adjusted for the driver controlled "temp" but the airmass is unchanged. The fuelling at the top end will be reduced as the engine is not at "temp", the timing of the delivery of the fuel will be more advanced. It's safe as the ECU will be looking at the appropriate maps but it's inefficient and still uses ALL the OEM parameters.

Last edited by Activ8; 22 November 2018, 11:37 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
                  The ECU despite its 8 bit brain just reverts to its maps and adjusts accordingly. So, all it will do is adjust the air fuel ratio so you'll be rollin coal. It will add more fuel in the lower rev range to warm the fuel to get to temp. Assuming your particular 1.9tdi map is similar to the 2.5tdi then the timing will be adjusted for the driver controlled "temp" but the airmass is unchanged. The fuelling at the top end will be reduced as the engine is not at "temp", the timing of the delivery of the fuel will be more advanced. It's safe as the ECU will be looking at the appropriate maps but it's inefficient and still uses ALL the OEM parameters.
                  Yes, I totally understand that it's a 'bodge' as opposed to a 're-map'...

Rollin coal - not sure I'll go that far (well, maybe once for a laugh!) but to increase the fuel delivery amount to make the most of the increase in air volume (from the intake modifications) - [emoji106] Too much black smoke and I'll dial it back, I don't want to waste fuel, just gain an increase in performance... Until either funds, or the right person comes along to socket and chip an ECU for me. [emoji846]

Comment

Yes, I totally understand that it's a 'bodge' as opposed to a 're-map'...

Rollin coal - not sure I'll go that far (well, maybe once for a laugh!) but to increase the fuel delivery amount to make the most of the increase in air volume (from the intake modifications) - [emoji106] Too much black smoke and I'll dial it back, I don't want to waste fuel, just gain an increase in performance... Until either funds, or the right person comes along to socket and chip an ECU for me. [emoji846]

I did a map for Sausages last year. See if I've still got it on file.

Comment

I did a map for Sausages last year. See if I've still got it on file.
                      Isn't he running a newer style ECU?

Comment

Isn't he running a newer style ECU?

What's your ECU part number?

Comment

• I've got this one (early, no immobilizer, but messed up the glow plug cycle...).

And this one (immobilizer - working, but goes into limp mode on full boost - working on that!).

Last edited by Adventure Van; 24 November 2018, 05:47 PM.

Comment

• AV what engine code & what size of MAP sensor are you running?

Comment

AV what engine code & what size of MAP sensor are you running?
                              Engine is an AHU - with the standard internal MAP sensor (2 bar iirc, mounted inside the ECU).

Comment

Engine is an AHU - with the standard internal MAP sensor (2 bar iirc, mounted inside the ECU).

I'll check that. Leave it with me.

Comment

Working...
                                X