No announcement yet.

Builders Van to Camper- well that's the plan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Woohoo! Just a quick update - sent all the necessary off to DVLA - new V5 back today and I no longer own a panel van but a own a Motor Caravan...........

Martin

Comment

Nice one! Looks spot on mate.

Comment

Well done mate, what did you have to supply to get that?

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s mobile app

Comment

Cracking build, I wish I had the skill to build my own units...

Comment

Brilliant, love the overall look. You all done now or is there more to come ?

Comment

Thanks everyone for the comments.

Dave T - more to come! I've just fitted some re-upholstered seats - I'll get some piccies taken tomorrow and post them up. Then I've got stuff to do in the cab and more ideas on audio kit... then exterior and wheels.... I guess it will end one day!

I'll do more of a write up on building the cabinets in the next few days.

The DVLA process is straightforward as long as you follow their rules!! - they have a good help page on their site. Basically you have to have a built-in cooker, "fixed" table, a bed, at least one side window, a minimum of 1 storage cupboard and some means of carrying water (which can just be a jerry can!). You send photographic evidence along with a marked up V5 and fingers crossed. I think the more you send them, the better. I'll find the DVLA page and then do a proper post on the site for future reference.

Cheers

Martin

Comment

That would be great Martin, thanks. I keep meaning to do mine but my self built cupboards are just bare mdf at the moment. Did you change the number of seats in the van if your rival and roll can carry two ?

Comment

Hi Jonny

I've just done a write up in the Technical section. Yes I did change the number of seats to 5 at the same time.... ( I have a double front passenger seat)

I don't think it would matter that the cupboards are bare MDF - as long as they have doors and the cupboards are clearly fixed. Process was very straightforward.

Cheers

Martin

Comment

New seats

So here are a couple of pictures of the newly re-upholstered seats:

Click image for larger version

Name:	seats-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	257708
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	seats-2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	257709

Very pleased! They now match the RnR bed.

So, door cards next........

Anyone done a electric window upgrade?

Martin

Comment

That looks great mate.

Comment

Love the seats who did those for you?

sent from the van

Comment

Loving the seats were they the original t4 ones before?

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

Comment

Originally posted by tesan-man View Post

Anyone done a electric window upgrade?
                            I have...

Picked up some mechanisms from a caravelle that was being broken, but no switches...
                            Used 2 Mk2 Golf style switches, but from an Ibiza Cupra Sport (so they light up red not green). Mounted them in the switch blanks on the dash, so both sides can be reached - euro toll booths friendly! 👍
                            Made my own loom, using the Mk2 Golf as a template, powered from a fused feed from the fusebox. Used some door rubber bellows from a Mk3 Golf to hide the wiring (speaker wires, and door lights in there too). Fairly easy stuff, but fiddly and took some time... ☺☺

Wheel or tyre question? Just ask... it's kinda what I do! 👍
                            '00 1.9TDI LWB, '87 Mk2 Golf 16v

Wheel or tyre question? Just ask, it's what i do!

Comment

Love the seats who did those for you?
                              They are original T4 seats - recovered by Cannons Forge - the RnR company - to match the bed.. Really pleased with them.

They replace some of the foam which has made a huge difference to comfort.

Thanks for the feedback

Martin

Comment

They look spot on matey nice and subtle...

Comment

Working...
                                X