Ness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Greeny gtc View Post
    28psi this is an abl that would send the turbo and inlet into the atmosphere lol

Sent from my SM-G981B using Just T4s
    Exactly, ARL ones will be more than enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
    #vanlife

Comment

• Originally posted by TommyP View Post

Get yourself a set of Mk4 Golf ARL head bolts. They’re higher rated and about the same price as T4 ones. They’re too long and just need cutting down to 110mm iirc, just double check against the old ones or I could find out if you want. Not strictly required but they’re better rated and it never hurts to over engineer a job. Both my vans have these.
      I drilled my block 12.5mm deeper , the theory is the extra thread stops the head from lifting under excessive boost .

Comment

• Originally posted by Fruitbat View Post

I drilled my block 12.5mm deeper , the theory is the extra thread stops the head from lifting under excessive boost .
        Surely it’ll stretch in the section between the head of the bolts and the block itself and not where it’s threaded into the block? This is your area mate, I’m just thinking out loud, seems logical to me?

#vanlife

Comment

Surely it’ll stretch in the section between the head of the bolts and the block itself and not where it’s threaded into the block? This is your area mate, I’m just thinking out loud, seems logical to me?

More thread for the bolt the better , less chance of the thread stripping or being pulled out .

It was a modification Ford btcc team did in the mid 80’s on the rs500 due to the head lifting under high boost ,engine tuners still carry out the mod today .

Also the Arl bolts which are of a higher tensile 12.9 wont stretch as much as the standard 10.9 bolts
          Last edited by Fruitbat; 12 April 2022, 06:56 AM.

Comment

• Unless you intend to swap your ABL turbo out for something seriously upgraded you don't need to upgrade head bolts and then it's questionable that you'd run 27-28psi as most turbos don't handle that level of spec or are they designed for those boost peaks.

For belt and braces yeh why not but most T4 owners will never stretch anything close to standard ones.

ARP have built a great brand on the sheep mentality, they sell higher tensile bolts at 3x the going rate but made it easy and packaged it accordingly. Do your own homework and look for the work arounds.

I recall the size of TP's grin and fear in his eyes when we were mapping his TDI conversion. He sheepishly returned when the over boost went off the gauges scale at 32psi.(?) Did we laugh - hell yeh!

Comment

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
              Unless you intend to swap your ABL turbo out for something seriously upgraded you don't need to upgrade head bolts and then it's questionable that you'd run 27-28psi as most turbos don't handle that level of spec or are they designed for those boost peaks.

For belt and braces yeh why not but most T4 owners will never stretch anything close to standard ones.

ARP have built a great brand on the sheep mentality, they sell higher tensile bolts at 3x the going rate but made it easy and packaged it accordingly. Do your own homework and look for the work arounds.

I recall the size of TP's grin and fear in his eyes when we were mapping his TDI conversion. He sheepishly returned when the over boost went off the gauges scale at 32psi.(?) Did we laugh - hell yeh!
              It was 34 psi and felt like something was going to break. Driveshafts or god knows what else. I liked it very much, the sound was nearly as insane as the smoke.

Also, I recall you getting the arse as I wasn’t outwardly excited, probably due to my resting bitch face. Which you pointed out and that made me laugh like fuck. It was, and still is, much appreciated. Despite my initial face saying otherwise, I was actually thrilled, partially by the map but mainly from your annoyance. I think this was the the visit before the one where you made my other half piss themselves by stating “you’re a ****” to me. You don’t often swear but I was overjoyed that I brought this out of you.

How’s the next map going anyway, I trust you’re working on it during your down time in Portugal?
              #vanlife

Comment

• Arp are cos mates have used them in their race engines, and recomended by the guy that tuned my scimitar a very well known engine builder for thunder saloons. But yes I am thinking keep it cheaper than splurging money on stuff she ain't gonna need, not after loads of power she is quick enough for what I need.
                Strangely she hasn't used as much coolent as usual on this trip which is really odd and I am wondering if trapped air could cause this kind of symptom? Thing is its been months since I did the coolent change and I have been through loads of both water and coolent?!?!?!?

Sent from my SM-G981B using Just T4s

Comment

• Exactly Greeny, with diesel prices likely to rise yet further at the year end, (forward rates remain high), I think not over doing it is key to ride out the current circumstances.

Comment

It was 34 psi and felt like something was going to break. Driveshafts or god knows what else. I liked it very much, the sound was nearly as insane as the smoke.

Also, I recall you getting the arse as I wasn’t outwardly excited, probably due to my resting bitch face. Which you pointed out and that made me laugh like fuck. It was, and still is, much appreciated. Despite my initial face saying otherwise, I was actually thrilled, partially by the map but mainly from your annoyance. I think this was the the visit before the one where you made my other half piss themselves by stating “you’re a ****” to me. You don’t often swear but I was overjoyed that I brought this out of you.

How’s the next map going anyway, I trust you’re working on it during your down time in Portugal?
                    Still makes me grin when thinking about it. Ah yes the sound....You had shock and fear in your eyes, computing and assessing the "34" event!
                    If I was "annoyed" its probably that you're trying to tell me about mapping with your extensive experience. The fact you are a **** high-lights it. The feedback is always good though.

Comment

Still makes me grin when thinking about it. Ah yes the sound....You had shock and fear in your eyes, computing and assessing the "34" event!
                      If I was "annoyed" its probably that you're trying to tell me about mapping with your extensive experience. The fact you are a **** high-lights it. The feedback is always good though.
                      PaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahHahahahaaaaa! I fucking LOVE it!

You’re always trying to put me off learning to map as deep down you fear me ascending to greatness within the industry of mapping what Bernie Boehm is to the world of spinning a basketball whilst surfing.

#vanlife

Comment

• Well that's a lie.
                        My advice was to take a pro course rather than guess what the interplebs advise or just have a go.

You're great already without the circus acts, hmmm may be I need to rethink and rephrase that statement. Lol. ;-)>

Last edited by Activ8; 13 April 2022, 01:18 PM.

Comment

Well that's a lie.
                          My advice was to take a pro course rather than guess what the interplebs advise or just have a go.

You're great already without the circus acts, hmmm may be I need to rethink and rephrase that statement. Lol. ;-)>

How about an Activ8 crash course? Then you get to spend quality one-to-one time with me over the course of hours and hours. What could go wrong?

I could remunerate you with the gracious offer of 12 months of PV solar panel output data?

Last edited by TommyP; 13 April 2022, 03:04 PM.
                          #vanlife

Comment

How about an Activ8 crash course?

That's the one installed currently.

Comment

• Mapping is a piece of piss , just re-wrote mine

Comment

• Originally posted by Fruitbat View Post
                                Mapping is a piece of piss , just re-wrote mine
                                You should be up to 100 brake now Kev, well done.
                                https://youtu.be/3cinD3oSkJc
                                Last edited by Activ8; 13 April 2022, 09:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X