No announcement yet.

Ness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sounds interesting Greeny, what is it at the hospital - a trial involving speeding doughnuts?

Jokes aside , best of luck to you all.... it sounds like it's all falling into place.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Just T4s

Comment

• The hospital job is based around safety and security of staff and patients. Reducing violence theft, so same as I did for years but from the hospital side.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Just T4s

Comment

• This all sounds like a very exciting time for you and your tribe. All the best with it and good luck to you bud.

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
        #vanlife

Comment

• Thanks,
          Just hope I get a job,,,, at some point

Comment

• Hello all.ans long time no type

I am now living in anglesey but still working in Manchester, so each week I travel 120 miles each way..... yes I am spending a fortune on diesel at the moment and I can't get cooking oil as it seems others have had thst idea and bought it up.....

I am however having another issue,,,,, ness is using coolent like its water in a marathon!!!!!
            I have replaced the water pump twice as I saw leaks and couldn't stop it...
            It seems like it's over pressurising and I can't put the coolant to "max" in the expansion tank as it spews the lot quicker

The very odd thing though is that the heater blows hot until you turn the knob for a cooler flow (even just a little bit) the heater goes dead cold after a few mins and stays like that until you turn the knob right up and after about 5 mins hot air comes out again.
            New stat
            Fans working
            New cap
            I have done a chem sniff test and all clear

In desperation I even tried rad weld type stuff and it blew the lot out of the over flow

The mad thing is she is otherwise running sooooooo well it's scary

I did have an odd breakdown though
            3 of the 4 bolts that hold the steering rack in place sheared!!!!!!
            Replaced last week

Comment

• Be head gasket i spect, wont always show with a sniff test.First thought was the impeller fallen off the pump but if you've fitted two waterpumps it shouldnt be that.

Comment

• Hi greeny, good to hear the move went well

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Just T4s

Comment

• Howdy Dave.

Over pressurising does sound like head gasket. How did the sniff testing go? Was it with the engine hot? Can be tricky as when you try and seal the tester in the pressure blows all the fluid out. Not that a head gasket leaking into the coolant would be affected by a hot or cold engine but when I’ve done them I’ve had to carefully not seal the tester or the above happens and I end up with a tester full or coolant and a bonnet covered in testing fluids.

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
                  #vanlife

Comment

• Move took 6 months and we still have 1 house to sell as we lost the buyer and now the second buyer has lost their buyer (oh shit you could say) we have given them a couple of weeks to find a buyer so we shall see....
                    I am however still working in Manchester for now as being an over 40 male I am not exactly prime pickings!!! Can't even get a job doing what I have been doing for 15 years and teaching for 10

Sniff test was done hot and cold and nothing but as I am not able to put the engine under load whilst I perform the test I am thinking it may not show.

The garage we are going to in anglesey is a t4 fan and has had a few, he is thinking that yes head gasket is on its way out but only showing when under boost. So
                    I am in anglesey for the week from Tuesday when I am going to have a last ditch pop at finding the issue and then bite the bullet and have the head gasket replaced and the head skimmed as well as the Cam belt and tensioner replaced.

Cam belt is one of the only jobs that really scare me!!! Having buggered one up that cost me a fortune to sort bent valves smashed shims shattered woodruff key etc etc

Comment

• On the topic of head gasket kits bolts etc any recommendations as to good ones to fit?

Comment

• Originally posted by Greeny gtc View Post
                        On the topic of head gasket kits bolts etc any recommendations as to good ones to fit?

Elring are very good .

Comment

• Originally posted by Fruitbat View Post

Elring are very good .
                          I’m pretty certain that elring are OEM. I only stick to Elring, Victor Rienz, Febi and INA. All good quality. I’d go for INA for the timing belt kit.

Sorry to hear you had trouble doing the belt before. I really love engine work like this to be fair, it’s my favourite. Costs a fortune at a garage but can be done for roughly £300 yourself. We’re here to help if you do change your mind and decide to go for it and you e got my number and are free to call whenever for info or help of any kind.

Get yourself a set of Mk4 Golf ARL head bolts. They’re higher rated and about the same price as T4 ones. They’re too long and just need cutting down to 110mm iirc, just double check against the old ones or I could find out if you want. Not strictly required but they’re better rated and it never hurts to over engineer a job. Both my vans have these.
                          #vanlife

Comment

• Thanks folks
                            Was thinking arp for the bolts and as she is quite a stressed engine (spends most of her life on the a55 at high revs) she also has the fuel and turbo turned up a little.... she needs to be as strong as I can make her

Comment

• Originally posted by Greeny gtc View Post
                              Thanks folks
                              Was thinking arp for the bolts and as she is quite a stressed engine (spends most of her life on the a55 at high revs) she also has the fuel and turbo turned up a little.... she needs to be as strong as I can make her

The ARL bolts will be perfect and a fraction of the cost. To be fair, you’d be fine with standard bolts, it’s only when you start running higher boost (2bar/28psi onwards) that you need them so you’ll be more than covered with the golf ones. Then with the money saved you can find an AAZ K14 turbo and really get her to start shifting!…….
                              #vanlife

Comment

• 28psi this is an abl that would send the turbo and inlet into the atmosphere lol

Comment

Working...
                                X