No announcement yet.

Ness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Those who have been here a while or read my thread will know I have a massive solar panel on my roof and I also have a victron charge controller. Over winter my split charge relay packed up and for what ever reason probably poo weather and lack of light my panel wasn't doing much so I have had to link out the cables to delete the split charge, and i also had low voltage so had to put a charger on my leasure battery.....
    But with a little light and running about she is back to looking after herself!!
    Screenshot of the victron app history file, showing
    White is charging mid broad line is absorption and the blue colour is float.

I have stuff in standby in the van and run my head unit and amps from the leasure battery hence the charge sections.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Just T4s

Last edited by Greeny gtc; 15 February 2021, 03:54 PM.

Comment

• Cheers Greeny.
      Does your Victron unit auto notify you of low leisure battery levels? I assume you have no led to indicate the van charging circuit is on/functioning?

Comment

• No there is no auto notification (or maybe that is due to me not being close enough to the unit for bluetooth all the time.
        There are lights on the unit to indicate what it's doing and its very clear as to what to what controller is doing. You can get add ons so you can see on an led display what the unit is doing but they seem very expensive for what they are.
        Blue is on and flashing is not enough light to charge.
        The other thing with victron is you can add onto the package. So not only can you have a screen but you can have a 240 charger a shunt and other stuff to really get your geek on

Comment

• My above post with the image has been edited cos i am a dip shit and got the colours wrong......

Last edited by Greeny gtc; 15 February 2021, 03:57 PM.

Comment

• Ness has developed a new issue....
            After a long run she blows cold air out of the heater when you sit at idle for any time at all, now I originally thought this was an air lock somewhere as the water level seamed to have dropped a little. I haven't had chance to check water level but this is odd. It only seems to be after a long run eg over an hour and as far as I Dan tell its only done it 2 or 3 times?!?!?
            I am thinking impeller not spinning? But she doesn't over heat!?!?!?!?

Comment

• Originally posted by Greeny gtc View Post
              Ness has developed a new issue....
              After a long run she blows cold air out of the heater when you sit at idle for any time at all, now I originally thought this was an air lock somewhere as the water level seamed to have dropped a little. I haven't had chance to check water level but this is odd. It only seems to be after a long run eg over an hour and as far as I Dan tell its only done it 2 or 3 times?!?!?
              I am thinking impeller not spinning? But she doesn't over heat!?!?!?!?

This sounds similar to a motor with low coolant level. The fluid dropping a bit would be more of a sign that the air has reached the expansion bottle or a leak. My work one had a coolant leak on the flange and when the level dropped enough, the heater would get cold. When the engine is revving the pump is pushing the water into the heater rad but when you idle the pump isn’t working so hard and you loose the heater first so I’d check your level, you may have developed a small leak somewhere. I’ve found that most motors behave the same way when the coolant level drops, heater is usually first to get affected.

Impeller, my experiences with plastic impellers on other motors is that when they spin faster with the engine they then start to slip on the metal pump shaft and the temp starts to climb but back at idle it settles itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
              #vanlife

Comment

• Will check the level again in the morning but it doesn't happen over time just long run,,, I drove to anglesey around anglesey and only on the way back did I develop an issue, fluid checked before setting off in both directions...

The water pump is metal (pressed not cast) as I fitted it a few years ago..

Comment

• Originally posted by Greeny gtc View Post
                  Will check the level again in the morning but it doesn't happen over time just long run,,, I drove to anglesey around anglesey and only on the way back did I develop an issue, fluid checked before setting off in both directions...

The water pump is metal (pressed not cast) as I fitted it a few years ago..

Yeah I figured the pump would be. My point (poorly made) being I doubt you’d have that issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
                  #vanlife

Comment

• Yea not sure it's that but always thought that was a week spot compared to the cast impeller that was in before

Comment

• Yep, heater temp often the first casualty when the coolant level drops.

Comment

• Had to take my pops to hospital this morning 35 mile round trip and heater fine full and proper heat, not had chance to check levels but proper heat and no going cold....

Comment

• It's nothing to do with the aux pump is it? Coolant flow will be reduced if that's packed up

Sent from my SM-A202F using Just T4s

Comment

• That is something I wondered, will be putting a supply to it and checking in a little bit

Comment

• OK so water level hasn't moved and is still at the max mark
                              The aux pump seems OK at the moment. But as the issue is only after a long drive it occurred to me that that the pump may be binding up due to heat of the motor?

Comment

• Took a little time but we'll chuffed with this

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X