My 2003 T4 Camper Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dave T View Post
    As I have already said earlier in your blog you and your dad are doing a grand job. Just keep pushing on.
    Thanks mate, still finishing her off at the moment, this thread transfer is about 30% transferred from the old forum where the thread had racked nearly 54 000 views. ��

Comment

Looks like a labour of love mate but it's going to be mint when it's done!! I can't wait to see the finished beast!!

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s mobile app

Comment

Cheers Buddy, shouldn't be too long now

Comment

more updates from the old thread.

06/09/14

Well, been a very busy day today, went to the unit to work on my van. Started by changing the front wheel hubs and bearings. Have also changed the front shocks and with the help of my younger sister she managed to paint all the front suspension and hub carriers for me so that they look smart and tidy. I then finished off the night by mounting one of the 2 hub assemblies and made the 2 fiddly pipes which join the caliper to the flexi hosevon the front of the van. Got to build the other side tomorrow and fit both new calipers, then it is onto bleeding the brakes and checking all connections etc. T:

front suspension painted

Brake pad carriers painted and brake dust shields.

Shock mounting plates painted and new shocks installed.

one side rebuilt and new brake pipes made

and new hub installed for the other side.

07/09/14

Finished both sides of the suspension today, fitted new brake callipers abd connected them to new flexi hoses , all that needs to be done now is bleed the brakes and check drive shaft bolts once back on the ground.

14/09/14

Bit of an update, new wheels came yesterday with a big thanks to dantro for all his time and help, they are 7j x 16 merc steels et 42. Tried them on the van and like how they sit. Then last night me and my dad bled the brakes and clutch and checked all the new brake pipes for leaks and not a drop anywhere. Well happy T: heres pics

20/09/14

Cleaned the cab out today whilst waiting for payday next week.

28/09/14

Big thanks to my dad today, finished the repair on my tailgate and also got it mounted on the van. Looks so much better than doors . He folded the lip of the new panel using hammers and dollys etc. Also new bonnet, front grill , mirrors and lights on order and old windscreen being removed tomorrow by local windscreen company. Here's pics.

Cheers for looking

04/10/14

Some stuff turned up in the week, 2 new mirros, de badged grill, 2 new rear fog lights with bulbs and bulb holder and a bonnet cable. Just waiting for another bonnet as my first one got damaged in transit.

11/10/14

My new bonnet arrived in the week, so decided to fit this morning. Bonnet fits fine and is virtually identical to my original 2003 bonnet, all i have noticed in difference is the seal which directs airflow into the pollen filter is slightly smaller on the 90-95 bonnet but has room to cut the extra few cms of steel to allow the seal to sit correctly and their are 2 little rubbers that are pushed onto my 2003 bonnet which just aid the bonnets resting postion when locked, there are no holes for these but holes can be cut. Also i dont know whether its possible but i have an ajt 2.5 van which doesnt have an intercooler but for anyone who has a top mounted incercooler there is a vent cut into the bonnet thats sits over the turbo area therefor in my thought providing air to an intercooler. Very good quality bonnets, just make sure you ask for your bonnet to be heavily packeaged and padded as this is my 3rd replacement due to couriers dmaging them in transit. Also fitted a new bonnet cable. Heres pics.

bonnet vent in the picture below is towards the middle of the windscreen. You cant see it very clearlh but there is a large rectangular hole which directs air.

and also the next picture shows the pollen filter duct which will need modifying if fitting to a 96 onwards van.

im extremely happy with the quality of the bonnet and especially the value for money as they are only 80 quid . Well worth it and took me an hour and a half to fit including swapping eevrything over and setting the bonnet relase back up

12/10/14

Windscreen took out today and dine the boring job of removing all the old sealant. Windscreen cracked when removing.

26/10/14

Done some more work today, started cutting the side windows out .

Started by removing all the sealant between the panels, drilled each corner using a hole saw.

I then used air shears to remove the majority of the panel and then allow me to focus on the small pieces next to the inner lip. I then panel beated the outer panel to sit flush against the inner lip and then bonded them together.

Got the sliding door to do next weekend and also finish my passenger step

01/11/14

Pay day last week so i ordered some more gadgets to put into my van. I ordered a electric window conversion kit, insulation, new aerial, new rear lights, new t4 bonnet air vent, new speakers, waxoyl and a few other little bits n bobs. I also ordered a central locking and alarm kit from campertronic who were very helpful with any questions i had bout the kits available and also choosing the correct kit for my van. The drivers side window cut out has bonded nicely and il be moving onto the sliding door soon. So heres pics.

thanks for looking

02/11/14
          More work done today, can has been sound deadened , sliding door window cut out today and it is bonding whilst I'm at college and holes in the floor have been welded up.

07/11/14

Done some more work on my van today after getting back from college in Nantwich. Started by removing both door glasses and both window regulators and fitted the new electric ones. Plugged all wiring in and tested and works a treat , then started fitting central locking motors etc. I also re-arranged the fuse box wiring in the engine bay as I could not aceess battery clamp. So with that 're-arranged it was time to go home. Also brand new heater controls from vw with heater cables, control valve and dash centre panel for my other dash turned up aswell.

Thanks for looking

08/11/14

75% complete with the central locking now after fitting the sliding door motor and bending my own rod to operate the lock, and the same for the tailgate. Due to the position ofthe tailgate lock i had to bolt the motor to a plate and then fix this to the inside of the tailgate. Easier said than done. Heres pics

09/11/14

More work done today on the van, finished sound deadening the large panels of the van to reduce the drumming effect, sound deadened the tailgate, cleaned the sliding side door or excess sealant and had a tidy up inside the van. next is to remove and repair the sliding door and then start bodywork.

Large panel under drivers side window

Far rear window panel

Far rear quarter panel

Tailgate

Far rear window panel p/s

Far rear quarter panel p/s

Top half of sliding door

And yesterday my younger sister who helps me work on the van to earn pocket money, done a fab job on cleaning back the rear bumper support with a wire brush and then giving it 2 coats of hammerite black.

16/11/14

Done more work on my van today, thanks to my dad for linishing all the welds on the passenger step and prepping it ready for bodywork, masked and sheeted the step and filler cap off so i could schutz the remaining area under the van and whilt i was under there i schutzed the front crossmember, chassis legs, both front arches, sub frame, both top and bottom suspension arms, and the inside of the chassis legs. So left that to dry and then cleaned the side loading runner panel as this requires the seal seam replacing as its rusted out. Coated the rest of the step in rust converter and that requires another coat, and got the diesel tank ready to fit. Next is to waxoyl the chassis legs inside.

Heres pics

30/11/14

bit of an update, sanded the passenger side step down last weekend got a few little things to finish that, fitted the diesel tank back under the van as this was a pain trying to store it. then today me and my dad have been to local selco using his t4 to fetch my plywood boards for the floor and side walls. also collected my insulation and some other bits and pieces. then once we got to the unit at mid day, i then cut all the batons for the floor, just got a few small ones left to cut. also stripped my 3 front door locks down as a friend of ours is getting them powder coated for me as a trade for something i had that was no longer of any use to me. also have my carpet arriving this week for the floor, my interior lights are also on their way and have a few little things left to order. T:

07/12/14

Got the floor cut out today with thanks to my dad and cut and fitted the d/s rear arch floor piece. I could of finished it if the battery drill didn't go flat 😠.

Here's pics

Comment

13/12/14

More work done today, finished the remainder of the floor and insulation, cut and fitted the side panel under the side window on d/s and cut, smoothed andfitted rear panel including insulating it and also cutting gap for rear vent

29/12/14

More work completed on the van over the last 2 days. Moved my van from the back of the workshop near the shutter to allow greater space for starting the bodywork so due to nice weather yesterday, I took it outside whilst we cleaned the workshop up and allowed it to air for a bit. Then moved the van back in to the appropriate position ready for today's work.

So to say been to the unit, removed the sliding door and mechanisms/ guides / locks etc and my dad ( superstitch) started replacing the side lower panel of the side door due to the door skin being crunched. Whilst he was busy doing that I sanded the side window surround on the drivers side ready for it to be sprayed the same colour as the exterior, sanded the top half of the drivers door as I could not open the door enough to finish the bottom. Removed the old sealant from around the tailgate window, ground the area clean ready for the panel to go in , and then began sanding the main body of the tailgate down.

Lots has been done today so here's some pics

31/12/14

Been and done some more work on my van over the last 2 days, sanded the passenger door shut, sanded the front passenger wing, front passener door, and then sanded the passenger rear quarter panel from arch lip to roof line. also been and confirmed my colour code and choice today after going to local paint shop with a smaple card with no idea of colour and the guy on the counter found a exact match.

Also my dad has smoothed my tailgate for me removing the wiper hole and removing the badge recess by cutting metal discs and welding them in and sanded the tailgate ready for primer and then today templated, cut and welded the big steel panel in the tailgate where the glass pane should be therfore making the tailgate a solid type rather than glazed. that panel is now beeing fettled to create a nice smooth consistent curve around the panel to maake it look as close to factory as possible. i have created my own solid tailgate as i cannot get hold of a factory solid tailgate for love nor money and vw want a grand for one so this was my only option. Also ordering my deadlock kit in the next few weeks once i hear of a near friend. also my dad has removed and replaced the sliding door seal lip as mine had rusted out where the water catches at the bottom so he cut the rail out and replaced with new steel section. Well heres pics

01/01/15

Finished the passenger side door shuts, and inner areas of the door, sanded the sliding door shut and also helped my dad fettle my tailgate panel. Still a bit of sanding to do but she's 50% sanded and all repairs are now finished. the tailgate has turned out better than I thought and I myself am happy with it. Here's pics

you are right there bud, vw want a grand for one without delivery and colour match and you have to give 4 weeks for it to come from germany and then of course youve got to hope it isnt damaged.

i am as you say absoloutely itching to see it in paint and be able to put it back together rather than taking more bits off lol LOL:LOL:. hopefully she will be sprayed the first week in march if the sprayer is free. im well excited, then onto interior and to get my dad to do my retrim then. slowly but surely. T:

04/01/15

more work done yesterday, sliding side door shut has now been sanded, tailgate is about 90% finished, and we refitted side door aswell. sanded the top roof panels aswell, just have the centre of the roof and other side to do. a little more work is required to the lower filler cap panel as this was majorly pushed back, confirmed my van is to be sprayed the first week in march aswell. well excited.

09/01/15

been to the unit today as i was owed a days holiday from last year so started sanding the drivers side of the van down. moved the van into the centre of the workshop, sanded the drivers door, drivers side front wing and the panel where the sliding door would be on the drivers side. ground the front wing arch down and the arch leg to remove surface rust and bubbled paint.

10/01/15

More sanding done to say, drivers side of the van is now finished, drivers door shut sanded, drivers rear quarter panels sanded and the higher panel that meets the roof. Also sanded 1/2 of the first roof panel. Drivers door is placed on the trestles ready for tomorrow.
            Also my door handles which have been powder coated by a friend have been returned and look ace.

21/01/15

More preparation work done over this weekend, finished sanding the roof apart from the rain gulleys, sanded the side sliding door, including all the door insert and shuts between door and body, sanded the top of roof ribs, and sanded the front lower grille panel today back to bar metal as due to all the stone chips meaning this requires etch primering and then high build primering etc. Also thanks to a friend of ours I now have a full deadlock system ready to fit aswell and after doing a trade with a friend for some mtb tyres, I had my door locks, fuel cover and soon to be door guides and sliding rail in gloss black which look ace.

31/01/15

More prep done today, roof channels have been keyed and sanded as requested by spray shop, windscreen scuttle and inner lips of the wings have been sanded, finished a few little marks on passenger door and began sanding tailgate door shut. Also front lower panel has beeen ground back ready for treatment. Also my little sister has spent all day vacuuming and cleaning the inside of my van from all the body dust and has cleaned all the workshop aswell and has done a superb job.

10/02/15

more prep work done on my van this weekend, took the tailgate off, keyed the door shut on both the tailgate and the roof of the van. sanded the gulley between tailgate and mounting points and have cleaned the inside of the van from all the junk. also my dad fixed by lower b post this weekend below the filler cap as this had been pushed in more than first expected. this was cut out and a new piece welded in, still have to get pics of that. T:

16/02/15

Had a very good day yesterday on my van with the help of my dad. He was sanding the tailgate and finishing a few things with it and whilst he was doing that with his guidance on the installation of the first lock, I fmcut out and fitted 3 of my deadlocks. Got to say I looked at them and thought there's no way I'd be able to fit them but had a go double checking all measurements before drilling and cutting and once the first one was in I felt more confident so continued to install the other 2. I still have the tailgate ones to do but that needs finishing first. So anyway here's pics

22/02/15

nessecary areas on the van, fitted the tailgate deadlocks and striker plates including keying them so they can be painted, fitted the tailgate gas strut mounts after a very nice friend of ours sorted the equipment and rivets as a favour and also rivnutted the headlights as these commonly rust out with self tapping screws. Also fitted sliding door contacts, then today been to unit taken the van our side and blew it out to within an inch of it's life, then sheeted all of downstairs off to prevent dust travelling and then broomed 3 times mopped 3 times and then dad Superstitch @ Mid England Retrims then panel wiped my van twice and then we both masked off the nessecary areas. Then it was onto my dad again mid England retrims with him putting a high build primer on to find the highs and lows so i final sand and cut back can be carried out. The main body of the van has been primered but the doors are the only ones left to be primered. Not long now. Can't thank my dad enough for all his work today when he could have been doing better things.

01/03/15

Finished getting the van ready for paint to say thanks to my dad, pushed her outside in the dry and covered her up just in case and my dad superstitch peimered my 2 cab doors, my sliding side door and my tailgate. The only part left is the front lower valance left to do. We then baked the doors and then refitted to the van and bought her back inside the warm and dry unit. She has also been requested by the paint shop to be dropped there on this Saturday coming. So excited it's unreal I can't wait to see it in colour.

Cheers for looking guys Josh

05/03/15

Been to the unit today a d sorted all the parts out to go with the van to paint. Just have bumpers left to go with it . Can't wait

07/03/15
            Took the van to the paint shop this morning thanks to my dad superstitch for taking it there and helping me get her ready. The next post will be her transformation once I get pics. A:T:

30/03/15

Your certainly right there mate, all the torx heads on mine were shot so it were a no brainer. I cant wait either bud its driving me mental not seeing it in the workshop and having to work weekends to get airbrush money together. Im so excited to see how its going to turn out. Then i get the added joy of attempting to put it back together lol T:LOL:LOL: trust me the weekend i bring her back there will certainly be plenty of photos to upload. Will keep this updated with any news i hear.

12/06/15

Hi guys here's a picture of the main body of my van in paint. The tailgate, sliding door and surrounding area where the most damaged was caused had to have a fair bit of extra attention and work as they were not quite right. Also as per I decided to go for a more expensive paint job which meant more work by the body shop. There's still a few bits left to be painted this week but should be collecting her next Saturday. Can't wait. What do you think?

20/06/15

Been to collect my van from Matt Arnold at Hinckley Body Wrx. Been so eager to get my van back and see what the finish was like with the colour combination and i can say i was not let down and the paintjob by matt is absoloutely stunning and the hard graft can be seen in the finish. The van has been painted in a bmw sorrent blau with a gloss black roof and bonnet. My mirrors have been painted black along with my grills and the outer lips of my wheels, the tailgate handles have been painted in the blue and so have my hub caps and centres of the wheels along with the front lower panel. Its nice to see my van look tidy and one colour for a change.

Time to start putting it back together ready for the next lot of work to be done. But a very big thanks must be said to my old man Superstitch @ Mid England Retrims for carting my van around and puttingnhis aside to allow mine to take shape and working hard on the weekend of fathersday.

heres pics

21/06/15

Fitted the front lights and grills today. Couldn't wait to get started.

28/06/15

Been very busy this weekend fitting door catches and guides, locking mechanisms, exterior handles, sliding door contacts, rear tailgate locks, locking rods and guides, fitted the new number plate lights and fittings from vw, and fitted the exterior tailgate handle cover and changed the pins over from my barn door lock barrel to allow my key to work in the lock, fitted my rear tail lights and rear fog lights all with the help of my little sister earning pocket money. T:

Here's pics

13/07/15

Got my wheels back from the paint shop today looking sweet.

22/09/15

been a while since i last posted on here, not had a lot of time with the van since we got it back from the paintshop as she was sent to airbrushing for just over 4 weeks, so only had her back around 2 weeks and have been fitting all the finicky bits such as sill caps, rain gutter seals, locks, grills etc. the interior will be started in the next couple of months but as we have decided between me and my dad with the response we have had so far to the amount and quality of work carried out we have decided to reveal her once completely finished as a show promotion vehicle for the family business. the interioir will be themed along with the airbrushing so all will tie in but at the moment the workshop downstairs is all secured and blocked off to prevent customers seeing her. there will be a select few photos posted when she is finished but also looking towards putting her in a magazine. i thought i was flabergasted by the paint job but the airbrushing is undescribable and was carried out by one of the best guys in the business. i have no pics at the minute of current work but will do soon once work begins again. thanks for the response so far, hopefully we will ge the same when she is revealed aroun Christmas time along with fellow companies involved in her transformation.

04/01/16

A little update, my dad once again has proved me wrong and has manged to get the original t4 hubcaps to fit the merc vito steels. The r&r bed has been 80% fitted into place ad the interior work has begun as money and time didnt work out as planned and i decided to go for a more expensive bed for useability and comfort and also the fact i wont need to change it for many years to come. The kitchen is being custom designed and hand built by my dad and me to suit the short compact space of a swb t4. Also a few small modifications have been made to house speakers in the front of the van, nothing overboard just subtle changes that suit the style of the van. The van has been treated to new headlights, fog lights, indicator lenses, stereo system and a full stainless twin exit exhaust. The upholstery is currently having my dads magic fingers work their magic with something new and not done yet, a few more months and she should be on the road. Unfortunately i dont have pics on my computer to post but once all is complete i will transfer and upload.

Thanks for looking guys, shes still a work in progress, still eager for my first drive T: Josh :ILU:

21/01/16

Thank you for the kind comments, she has been a labour of love I've been building 3 years whilst doing my apprenticeship. I work every weekend on her flat out trying to get her finished. She's like a new van and still have a lot planned for her once she is on the road. Long awaiting my first drive and hopefully we should be revealing her in May and then hopefully showing her at camperjam if the finances allow. As soon as she's revealed il put some pics Up. :ILU:👍

22/02/16

little update, side windows and windscreen were fitted by vandoc on Friday, so now actually starting to re-obtain the van shape not the shell shape LOL:, kitchen is around 90% complete and ready to fit into the van, upholstery items are also ready to be covered, seats are near ready for re-trimming by my dad superstitch and so is my rib bed. just got my stereo install to finish before everything can have final touches done and be fitted for good. not long now hopefully. thanks for looking at the thread guys T:

Comment

So that's all of the old thread not copying kind comments from members, as the last post states the current status of the van as listed:

# dashboard is out awaiting trimming, seats and rib bed are awaiting trimming along with custom lining etc of the inside of the van.

# Van has had side windows and windscreen fitted and looks a lot smarter.

# Kitchen is about 90% complete awaiting spray job and final fitting. The kitchen is completely custom built using our materials and a lot of challenges to achieve the end result.

# Seat bases are awaiting modification, along with custom concept stitching design that has not been stitched as of yet,

# Carpeting of the floor, cab, throw mats etc is near completion.

# Van has also been airbrushed by one of the best award winning artists in the uk and has led to him becoming a great friend. It is a shame really as he requested her not so long ago to put her into a show but unfortunately she isn't finished. he has asked for her in the near future aswell.

headlining also needs finishing an the van needs a relaquer as the painter left it soft due to re-assembly and kitchen fitting luckily he did . she also needs a remap as she is overfuelling, tracking and a few couple other things but should be finished in the not too distant future hopefully.

So i do have a load of photos but wont put them up until she is revealed as they wont have the same effect. we shall have to see

Thanks for all the comments guys, its nice to hear peoples opinions on your hard work and see the appreciation for the attention to detail i have been able to put into my van. As dan will know i wouldn't have had the oppourtunity to create such a unique van if it wasn't for my old man( he hates me calling him that lol) as he has put his Bedford cf custom van aside and his vw t4 to allow me to create this and for also being such a clever clogs( aint that right dan) . he refused to accept rent etc from me for the unit so he will have the same time and effort put into his project from me.

let us know what you think guys?

Cheers
              Josh

Comment

WOW! And I thought I had a lot to do. What a van that is going to be!

Comment

thanks for the kind comment bud

Comment

It's basically a new van mate, you and the 'old man' should be proud!! [emoji6] How did you get on fitting the central locking on the tail gate? Was it a lock mechanism that had central locking as standard? I've put an older tailgate on mine but the lock mech won't accept a second lock point. I can only imagine they are a fair few quid from vw!! Unless you know of a cheap clever solution!!

Comment

Thanks mate we are very proud of our achievements, we're not professional or trained at any of the things we have done other than me being a mechanic, but with research and time we done a good job.

Regarding the lock mechanisms, my tailgate was a 95 to 96 crossover, it had aspects of a 95 but was majority 96. The lock I bought was from eBay Germany, I paid 45 Euro for it, but the caravelle lock compared to the panel van lock has a extra arm. I had to make a mounting plate for my actuator to sit horizontal, bought a set of central locking rods on eBay and did this setup. Hope this helps.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG4303.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	257425

Comment

That's great mate cheers I will go on the hunt for a caravelle lock!! [emoji106]🏻

Comment

Josh you don't know what the part number was for the caravelle lock do you?

Comment

Hi bud, I can find out for you once I get back from work bud

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0712_1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	257429

Here you go buddy ��

Comment

Josua, you poor old must be on the rocks, he cant have earned any money for the past three years. he always appears to be sorting out your motor..But I must say the work that's been done is fantastic, its also nice to see a few people shots, these are the ones where you or dad are visible, it adds life.
                                From what you say the end is in sight and we all look forward to seeing the creation. All the best.

Comment

Working...
                                X