Page 2 of 154 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast
    regcheeseman's Avatar Privileged
    Thanks
    The painting continues - A plan of attack...

hi-build on the primered areas of the van and a coat on both bumpers

There's been a random little scab of rust behind the drivers door that's been bugging me, not sure how to get to it

To start with I went in with a small wire brush in the dremel but there was still a patch I couldn't reach, I toyed with undoing the hinges a touch to drop the door.

Then I thought I might undo the rear bolts on the wing and pull it away a touch and see if that gave me better access.

At this point I realised the wing wasn't bonded in any way to the van and only held on with 7 self tapping bolts, so of it came to reveal my mobile compost heap

Yes - that is a tree growing in there! I've cleaned the wing out, ground out the rust, electrox primed and then some shultz before bolting the wing back on. I left the foam out between the wing vent and the airbox inlet, not sure if that was a good idea or not?

I've planned my paint job and broke it down into 4 sessions

First up the shuts....

1- rear doors
    2- drivers door and engine bay
    3- passenger door and slider

And then

4- the rest of the van.

My plan today was the rear doors, but today dawned grey and rainy and cold, as the day went on it got warmer and sunnier and at long last the wind has dropped.

I left work at four, peddled like mad to get home and crack on, it's still cloudy and colder at home - regardless I crack on with the prep work.

Some time later the rear aperture is prepped and mostly masked ready for paint but the mist has rolled in and it's no go.

I decided to plan to paint tomorrow and with this in mind I started on the prep for stage 2- drivers door and engine bay

The following day by 12:30 the mist has cleared, no wind and it's warming up nice....

Started masking up some more and stripping door hardware off, wishing I bought some decent masking tape whilst I was in town as the cheap tat is rubbish, peeling off ten minutes after application.

I dust a first coat on, realise a few spots I didn't mask, wait for the paint to go off and mask up properly.

I mix up a second gun load, pour it into the gun which promptly falls over and dumps half a litre into my workshop drawers..... fudge!

Another mix and a proper coat goes on

Bonnet underside will probably be better than the top.

Door frame - yes I know I've missed a bit

Few more coats on and there's a few seeds about, not as many as the roof painting day

That's stage 1 and 2 done, Not looking too bad

Remember the masking tape that wouldn't stick? Now the stuff on the roof wont come off, it's tearing off in strips and leaving a white stripe behind!

Despite the flatting on the roof stripe you could still make out the edge of the stripe in a few places, on the roof I'm not too bothered but if it shows up elsewhere on the van it's not ideal. The blue stripes are completely flatted off the bonnet but not on the rear doors.
    The rear doors had a few dents in it that have been filled, but they needed some final finishing so I thought I'd spray on a few heavy coats of hi build to cover slight imperfections and the remnants of the blue stripes.

That'll do it.

kaz's Avatar You need to get out more (Gold)
    Thanks
    Loving this post cant wait for next update.What a transformation already
    dyslexics are teople poo

Thanks
    No need to wait - here's what happened next...........

Another fine dry saturday - stage three and a bit is go!

Doesn't look too bad, but the blooming stripe edges are still there - should have hi-built the bonnet as well

Should be fun trying to get this one back on

With a keen eye on the fact I want to use this van for Summer I best up my game, I booked a day off on the friday for painting, time to formulate a plan...

This week I need to

flat both sides, doors and wings of the van
    remove side windows, attack any rust and prime
    flat bumpers, and add more hi-build if required
    remove door windows and seals
    remove lights
    wash down + panel wipe
    mask up
    erect gazebo
    remove door handles + mirrors and prep for satin black

all to be completed before thursday evening.....

It's now Monday afternoon, best get cracking

flatted down one side last night

Made half a start on the rear bumper, not bad progress and I think I'm ahead of the game

On the downside, a few large sections of paint that were done during the second batch of painting have reacted slightly, took a few days to appear and it manifests as a light crazing/bubbling, you can see it in this photo because the dust from the sanding has settled on it

It's not occurred on any of the areas where the paint was laid on thick, just on the edges where the paint was feathered out, areas that would have got sanded down and painted again anyway.

Well the weather ruined my plans for the Friday

But it brightened up for the following weekend

Got the van nestled in it's temporary new home

Bumpers flatted and setup on the trusty workmates, one borrowed from my neighbour hence the sheet to protect it

Rigged up a board to hold the mirrors and handles by screwing them in place

Two guns on the go, alternating between satin black in my trusty mini bergen and anthracite grey (brown) in the finex fx3000, worked well giving enough time between coats.

The bumpers looked pretty good after a couple of coats

Another three coats later

Van not too shabby either

Closer inspection shows enough peel for a peugeot, still, six coats on leaves me enough to wet sand

And one almighty run

Still, it don't look too bad at 10 yards

Time for some paint correction.....

4. The Following User Says Thank You to regcheeseman For This Useful Post:

kaz (24th February 2016)

kaz's Avatar You need to get out more (Gold)
    Thanks
    Great work love the colour
    dyslexics are teople poo

StitchMyRide's Avatar Now you're learning (Copper)
    Thanks
    Mate I'd pay you to do my roof in black!!

Dave T's Avatar Moderator
    Thanks
    That's a brilliant thread, a lot of detail backed up with photos. You can fully appreciate the work that has gone in up to now.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Dave T For This Useful Post:

Dan (25th February 2016)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kaz View Post
    Great work love the colour
    I had my doubts when I saw it in the tin - but I love it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by StitchMyRide View Post
    Mate I'd pay you to do my roof in black!!
    It's not too bad a job to do, I found the prospect a bit daunting but once I formulated a plan and cracked on with it - it went fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    That's a brilliant thread, a lot of detail backed up with photos. You can fully appreciate the work that has gone in up to now.
    Cheers! All my own work - done on the drive as it wont fit into the garage.

Wet sanding

Any really bad areas can be worked on with 1000 grit but it’s better to start with 1500 as the 1000 may do more damage than good.
    Using a bucket of clean soapy water and keeping the paper wet and clean, you rub down the very top layer of lacquer.
    I use a cork block or a stiff rubber pad to hold the paper, and work in straight lines to get rid of the orange peel and leave a uniform level surface. It’s very tricky to tell if you’ve gone far enough because the water forms a shiny layer on the panel and it all looks fine, Once the panel dries again you may see shiny circles that are low spots in the orange peel and you need to go over it again – what you are looking for is a dull uniform finish.
    Repeat the process using a 2000 grit and then you can use a compound and polisher to restore the shine.

Wet sanded and polished the first of many panels, got a decent unrippled reflection going on

wet sanding. I've done one side, bonnet and wing and door on the other side -

about 4 hours work just to get it vaguely flat this far, still have to finish and then go over the whole lot again with 1500 grit and then 2000 before it's ready for the G3.

hours and hour and hours of sanding.

I've pushed myself to try and get it done, I've not really wanted to but I've done the 1000, the 1500 and I'm halfway round on the 2000

washing the van at every stage means I'm pretty damn bored of washing it as well

Still - nearly there now - burnt through in a couple of places on the rear doors and I'm not happy with the bonnet, faintest shadow of the stripes and a few stone chips and two fisheyes - I have a thing about bonnets, they have to be spot-on as it's the one panel that draws the eye the most I think. So the rear doors will see a few patches blown back in and the bonnet will get a few more coats.

This is the matt look after 2000 grit stage and a wash down

I removed the runs using the filler technique which I was dubious about but it worked really well however it's left a shadow - ever seen this effect?

The photo doesn't show it very well, it's quite obvious.

more wet sanding happened, then it was time to get out the G3.

I have a set of ebay cheap compound foams, which were a bit pants, so I bought a fast mover set containing a soft waffle and a firm foam and a velcro backing pad

The firm pad was far better than the stuff I had before and worked well and stayed intact.
    I used up the remains of my G3 paste and then switched to some G3 liquid which I found much easier to use than the paste, with a bit of guidance from a mate I used the following method.
    G3 on the foam and on the panel, bit of water and a slow speed to begin with, working it in. Then tweak the speed up and work the compound about with regular water added, keep moving it about and allow the paste residue to dry out and start to buff to a shine. Swap to the waffle, no paste just the odd spray of water and buff to remove the paste residue off the panel.

Seemed to work for me, I'd really recommend the final rub down with 2000grit instead of trying to G3 after 1500 grit.

It's not looking too shabby

Remember that peely panel? Reflections are a whole lot better now,

Needs a good clean up and then a proper waxing

(even months later I’ve not given it a good clean up and a proper waxing – maybe when we get a fine day and I have 4 hours to waste)

It may only be a small panel but it was an important one, finally got the front of my van looking how it should

I'm very chuffed with how it the paint has turned out - cheap spray job, probably owes me 200 tops in paint and materials

Slammed the van into the weeds, quite literally
    Last edited by regcheeseman; 25th February 2016 at 06:04 PM.

JonR6's Avatar You obviously just chat rubbish (Silver)
    Thanks
    Its hard to believe its the same van! Looking good!

Jonnybigballs85's Avatar Unemployed (Platinum)
    Thanks
    I dread to think the hours that have gone into that!! But looking at her in the sun it was well worth it!! I hope your pleased with it!! When are you putting those lovely stripes back on it?

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s mobile app

Thanks
    Hours? yeah one or two - Apparently "far more hours on that sodding van than you spend working on the house"

Stripes....yeah, they well make a reappearance....

Next up, getting rid of the last of the chav touches - Too big rims, they've got to go, max power was just soo nineties!

RIMS!

Was thinking that I might not to run the monoblocks I bought months ago, then spotted some different wheels for sale and the seller was after some monoblocks - so we arranged a swap.
    Booked the collection with Paisley freight monday evening, they picked up Tuesday and delivered Wednesday

As I'm not sure if they need to be orange, gloss black or silver I put one up against the van

Still don't know, was surprised how much bigger the 17/55 was in comparison to the 18/45s I have fitted
    My red neck whitewalls

A serious clean with some scotch pad and a wipe with panel wipe and a dusting of etch primer

The wheel centres were badly oxidised so I attacked them with the wire wheel on a bench grinder and then filled them to remove the pock marks from the corrosion, this had the added advantage of obscuring the audi four rings emblem (nearly)

Got a decent coat of jet black base, needs a bit of a flat down and another coat of base before I clear it.

Flatted the wheels down a bit and fitted the centres in with rhino seal, then gave them a second coat of base

Clear going on

And finished

Yes I know audi wheels are done to death - because they look good; nice clean simple lines.

I'm thinking a set of mk1 gti stripes along the sides might set it all off nice
    Whilst I'm on about stickers, you may have spotted these