Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gearbox/clutch question

Hi all,

A question for the more power hungry among us. I am fitting a 1.8T 20V engine into my van at the moment and will be mating it up to the standard clutch and gearbox. Im going to go easy when its running as I dont want to eat the clutch/gearbox. What have you all done regarding this? Are you still stock or have you put new parts on? if so what?

I'm running my 210bhp/330nm 1.8t with a 260k 02b, so far it hasn't exploded! I've done a SMF conversion using a g60 fly and vr6 clutch with no slip issue, although doing it again I'd probably just fit a new 1.8t dmf and clutch as I'm worried the extra vibration I get using a smf will lead to premature wear on the engine and box

Comment

Same here totally standard box running 225 and loads or torque, been fine for 6 years so far but I don't drive like a dick which helps.

Comment

There is a company called black box transmissions who will upgrade the standard box for around 1k if needs be though

Comment

Well my we are aiming for a minimum of 250. My engine has had some extra work done to it and my friend who is installing it for me is getting excited to say the least. Personally I am hoping to make a run at the fastest time list! *evil grin*. Having said that, as I know what stress that will put on the box I am planning in advance...

Comment

Most important thing with the 1.8t gearbox is ratios, I am running a standard 2.5 petrol box with a mk3 tdi 5th and am pulling about 3500rpm at 70, which means I'm on boost and using fuel. Also makes it a bit frantic. Longer box is going in when I have the time and money.

Comment

Originally posted by d-9 View Post
              Longer box is going in when I have the time and money.
              any idea what box or ratio?

I know its not 20vT but I looked into 02G for my 1Z tdi, couldnt find exact answers but some 'should fit mate?' comments, ended up trying 02g on a spare ahu......

no Faaaakin chance, the bellhousing bolting only lines to a 5 cyl block

now looking into 02b final-drive pairs & will build it myself (unless theres a better option?)

Rich.
              Bodger extrodinare...

'95 T4 1.9tdi etc....

Comment

Lol had this exact discussion on fb at the weekend, someone was assuring me an 02g would fit a 4 cylinder! I was fairly sure it wouldn't.

Ideally you want a 02b DUJ box from a 88bhp 2.5 tdi, which is the longest t4 box you can get (apparently). Or fit a 6 speed conversion.

Comment

So where do I stand? the original was a 1.9TD in a 1998 s reg short nose

Comment

Lol had this exact discussion on fb at the weekend, someone was assuring me an 02g would fit a 4 cylinder! I was fairly sure it wouldn't
                    sorta see where it doesn't line up

Ideally you want a 02b DUJ box from a 88bhp 2.5 tdi, which is the longest t4 box you can get (apparently). Or fit a 6 speed conversion.
                    or build a new one with 02B409143H looks to be 17/72 teeth (4.2:1) that I believe is the DUJ f/d?

Rich.
                    Last edited by slimjim; 19 January 2016, 07:35 PM. Reason: Fixed your images
                    Bodger extrodinare...

'95 T4 1.9tdi etc....

Comment

Gearbox/clutch question

Lol had this exact discussion on fb at the weekend, someone was assuring me an 02g would fit a 4 cylinder! I was fairly sure it wouldn't.

The problem with the 6th speed conversion is if liken me you have the .651 5th, you gain nothing at the top end as that's the ratio they use for 6th. Along with no change of the final drive all that it's good for (as far as I'm concerned) is removing the gap between 4th and 5th.

I've learned to deal with it and changed my driving style accordingly. Cheaper than a 1k+ mod and for that kind of money if rather spend a bit more and have the entire box rebuilt using better suited ratios across the board.

At least with the DUJ, there's a longer final drive. So that all gears (including the modded 5th) affected.
                      Last edited by lawanderson; 19 January 2016, 09:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by lawanderson View Post
                        The problem with the 6th speed conversion is if liken me you have the .651 5th, you gain nothing at the top end as that's the ratio they use for 6th. Along with no change of the final drive all that it's good for (as far as I'm concerned) is removing the gap between 4th and 5th.

I've learned to deal with it and changed my driving style accordingly. Cheaper than a 1k+ mod and for that kind of money if rather spend a bit more and have the entire box rebuilt using better suited ratios across the board.

At least with the DUJ, there's a longer final drive. So that all gears (including the modded 5th) affected.
                        I'm not sure that 6th gear conversion info it quite right Law...

i.e. http://www.eurotuning.cz/images/imag...grams_02g.html

And it's not £1k... its £2k!!!
                        Last edited by slimjim; 20 January 2016, 11:37 AM.
                        BONGO FURY - 222bhp - 390lb/ft - 16.7064 1/4
                        Are you quick enough for the T17.club?

Comment

That's for the 02G boxes. If I recall correctly; the 6th for 02B boxes aren't that long (especially my box)...
                          Last edited by slimjim; 20 January 2016, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lawanderson View Post
                            That's for the 02G boxes. If I recall correctly; the 6th for 02B boxes aren't that long (especially my box)...
                            Too many damn codes.
                            Last edited by slimjim; 20 January 2016, 12:16 PM.
                            BONGO FURY - 222bhp - 390lb/ft - 16.7064 1/4
                            Are you quick enough for the T17.club?

Comment

Working...
                            X