Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

JonR6's build (and destruction) thread....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

21/07/12

Well, the new springs are on and now that I have lived with them for a few weeks I have to confess, although im slightly disappointed at how little the van has dropped... I am amazed at the improvement in handling, my local motorway junction has a bend in it which normally makes me leave pinch marks in the drivers seat, but now I can take it an easy 20mph faster with no troubles!

I know shocks are going to be on the list of mods to come, but next in my list of priorities is to sort the cab... the plan for that is soundproofing, painting dash and doorcards black and carpeting the floor.

Comment

In the last few weeks, I have been a busy boy... both in the good way as well as the bad. The good news is that I spent £180 with NoiseKilla on a full soundproofing kit for under the bonnet, inside the doors and under the cab carpet, So im currently waiting for that to arrive and when it does I will let you all know what its like and if its worth the money.

Two days ago, thanks to the roadworks outside my house I have had a problem backing the van onto my drive, so managed to scrape the side down a wall, causing £180 worth of damage. This REALLY annoyed me as I have the annual Beaulieu meet next week and then a trip to Amsterdam the week after, so this money is going to have a bit of an impact on what I can afford to do with the cab (bye bye Audiosport door pockets )... but for now I'm still going to get on with spraying my dash and doorcards from grey to black.

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	257223

Comment

11/08/12

Proof that I dont tend to muck about... the van went into the bodyshop on Thursday and I have literally just picked it up.... REALLY happy with the result!

Name:	dentfixed.jpg
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	257224

Comment

keep it coming

Comment

Good work Jon!

Comment

16/08/12

Ok, this time I admit it.... time wise I seem to have bitten off more than I can chew having spent most of the last two days working harder than if I were at work, in order to get the interour sprayed black from its original grey and to install the last of the soundproofing.

Name:	Interiorrespray16082.jpg
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	257234

Name:	Interiorrespray16083.jpg
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	257235

Name:	Interiorrespray160810.jpg
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	257236

Name:	Interiorrespray160814.jpg
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	257237

Name:	Interiorrespray160816.jpg
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	257238

Name:	Interiorrespray160817.jpg
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	257239

I havent driven the van yet, so will let you all know (probably after Beaulieu) what difference the sound proofing has made. It certainly feels good quality so hopefully will make long drives nice and quiet.

Comment

07/09/12

Its only a small update.... but one im happy about, had the first MOT under my ownership done today. clean bill of health without even any advisories.

(I miss the old certificate though, at least i felt I was getting something instead of paying £40 for a bit of blank A4 paper)

Comment

07/10/12

Well, this week my TV broke.... the only TV in my house, which has left me rather bored and with more time on my hands. So with nothing better to do I had a flick through Ebay and stumbled accross some Alfra Romeo 157 seats both front and rear which had no bids on, so I kept an eye on them and ended up scooping them up for just £36! I honest feel like I have robbed the seller!!

I have plans to put them in the van as soon as I get the chance and replace the captains seats for some comfy leather items.

Name:	Newseats7101.jpg
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	257240

Comment

18/10/12

Well, got the seats in and I have to be honest, I never thought the captains seats were uncomfortable...but these are amazing!! The new drivers seat was a bit of a big to install, that thats only because my good lady isnt to tall so needed a couple of attempts to mount it so she can reach the pedels without stretching. In the end though both are in and looking good.

Name:	Newseatsfitted171012.jpg
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	257241

Comment

12/2/13

Ok, so its been a while since I did anything to the van, mainly because I have been saving up for a few bits and pieces. So I have recently bought an Xtreme van electrics bundle to give me full power where needed and also a leasure battery from Upspex.

Last weekend I went down to my mums house (she has loads of space on the driveway) with the intention of fitting it all. It went a little like this....

Name:	Vanelectricsepicfail09024_zpsaa1d1cc9.jpg
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	257242

Name:	Vanelectricsepicfail09025_zpsf403b1b2.jpg
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	257243

Name:	Vanelectricsepicfail09026_zps38373272.jpg
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	257244

The only problem is that it was like trying to fit a quart into a pint pot and I wasnt able to finish it off.... wiring fuse boxes is beyond my knowledge!! The new plan is that some great people from the forum have agreed to help next sunday and see how we get on, so fingers crossed we will get it all in.

Last weekend wasnt a total waste though, I took the rear floor up:

Name:	Vanelectricsepicfail09027_zpsa6b9ac4c.jpg
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	257245

and stuck down some more soundproofing, eventually my van is going to be as quiet as a tomb!

Name:	Vanelectricsepicfail09028_zpsd6af90e1.jpg
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	257246

Comment

28/02/13

In the last few weeks I met John Payne and Andy Muller, who helped (read: did it for me!- seriously, I would never have managed it without these guys!) the electrics to the van, so now everything is under the passenger seat. There is an electric hook up hidden behind the fake fog light on the rear bumper and there will shortly be a couple of practical double sockets at the rear of the van.

Name:	interiorelectrics15021_zpsb38e9823.jpg
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	257247

Name:	interiorelectrics15022_zps5d35e43f.jpg
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	257248

I have also just gone on a mad shopping spree buying things to get the van ready for the summer, I am going to recover the roof and do a two tone affect with Anthracite and Stone affect to break up the darkness in there. Speaking of which, I also picked up some LEDs to replace all the interior lights and for something a bit more funky, I have a set of party LED's courtasy of Dubflecta on their way. I also decided that if im spending so much time in the van these days it was time to say goodbye to the original cassatte deck, and that is being binned as soon as my new Pioneer with flip up screen arrives!! The plan for that is to install a reversing camera and the beginings of an awesome stereo system.

Turning my attention to the outside, I've also ordered a badgless grill and to hide behind it a set of grill mounted LED's (also courtasy of Mr Dubflecta!). So.... in the last few weeks I have spanked a small fortune on the old girl.... which is not helpful when it decides to do this.....

Name:	brokendown2421_zpsfbab5027.jpg
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	257249

Name:	brokendown2422_zps8a1e1e34.jpg
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	257250

Name:	brokendown2423_zps7f7afcf2.jpg
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	257251

I thought it was a battery as it had been struggling to start on cold mornings, so put in a good quality Bosch unit but it still didnt fire... so I had it recovered to my local garage via the RAC and had a new VW starter motor fitted for £190. The good news is, I got the van back today and it starts better than ever. Although to be fair it should do, bearing in mind it also only had new glow plugs in about a year ago!

Comment

19/03/13

Ok, so some more tinkering has been underway with the van so im nearly getting it ready for summer. I have planned to do a new headlining but I wanted to try and do something a bit different, so I planned to have two, my normal one, and then one that hangs down a little further that I can hide my LED lights etc in so that you dont really see the lights, just the glow from them.

So that way, when you look at it it would look something like this

Name:	Rooflining08032_zpse0e87f46.jpg
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	257252

Having said that, we measured it up and the wood was a bit too thick to be hanging down from the roof, so we went for a slightly smaller and thinner ply. I put baton around the edges to ensure that it sat away from the headlining by about an inch, that way I could also attached the LEDs to it so they were facing the right way.

Name:	Vanheadlining1833_zpscc359473.jpg
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	257253

I then took the original headling and did away with the join that is halfway down the load area of the van, and carpeted it as one whole piece. We then put this back in place (a two man job!) and as we had altered where the headling sat at the rear (due to having removed join) we had to drill fresh holes for the clips to sit into. Once this was up we attached more batons through the headlining to the double skinned areas of the roof.

Name:	Vanheadlining1834_zps988cadca.jpg
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	257254

Once that was done I took the newer smaller bit of ply and carpeted that in a contrasting stone colour to the rest of the van, We also put silver tape around the upwards facing edges of it to help reflect the light from the LED's when they were on. As previously stated, I suck at electrical stuff... so got a knowledgable friend to run the wires for the lights of both the day to day lights as well as the shiny coloured ones.

Name:	Vanheadlining1838_zps85ba08ea.jpg
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	257255

Once these were all laid we used an old car battery to test them out... this is just a couple of the colours that this great bit of kit can produce, thanks to Dubflecta!

Name:	Vanheadlining1839_zpsf48aaef2.jpg
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	257256

Name:	Vanheadlining18311_zpsa0e05804.jpg
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	257257

Name:	Vanheadlining18312_zps108ced4c.jpg
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	257258

Once we had finished playing and getting the wires neat, we then took it outside and screwed straight through batons, the original headling and into the metal voids to make sure it was nice and strong. Due to the way the voids/joins are in the van the ply actually attached further towards the front than the back, but as we batoned around the edges and twice through the middle its still nice and strong!

Name:	Vanheadlining18313_zps9971d22a.jpg
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	257259

My friend (who is the one that knows stuff about electrical jiggery pokery) mounted two switches, one into the metalwork of the van by the back doors, this one switches all the lights between coming on when the doors come on and being perminantly on. There is another switch mounted to the light coloured fabric that turns the spot lights on and off which means the colour LEDs can be on by themselves for mood lighting.

It needs a bit of a tidy but I am really pleased with the result, as I have a few more bits and pieces planned over the next few weeks I will do a video soon and post it up so you can see it all in action!

Comment

13/05/13

Recently I've been doing some more bits to the van getting it ready for another one of our charity fund raising drives... I thought I would kill (or at least wound) two birds with one stone. So I made a video of the van advertising that we are about to go and showing of some of the new bits I have done. As you can see, I mounted a set of grill lights which are REALLY bright after dark (which match the headlining) a new stereo with two ten inch subs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNWqx78cg3Q

Comment

22/05/13

Well, today is the day... I spent all winter preparing for our charity drive accross Europe (www.roguerun.co.uk) and here it is. Many hours have been spent shouting and swearing sorting out the electrics with ALOT of help from friends, and yesterday I fitted this....

Name:	931435_10151897716238998_396272578_n_zps6a241fbb (1).jpg
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	257266

Some of the notes have lifted at the edge slightly so im not sure how long they will last under the laquer, but I have a cunning plan that when I get back im going to fit a clear vinyl wrap.

Anyway, I will put up LOADS of photos and videos when I get back...I just found out that our friend who was taking his BMW 5 has had terminal problems with it, so he is bringing his MASSIVE LT35 with bunks in the cab.

Comment

04/06/13

Well we did our big charity trip around Europe again this year and it was amazing! 1500 miles in four days and the van didnt miss a beat. We are always interested in having people come with us, so if you are feel free to check our www.roguerun.co.uk or pm me.

Name:	RogueRun2013Day12of59_zpsf2d55ce6.jpg
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	257267

Driving through the night...

Name:	RogueRun2013Day15of59-Copy_zpse2673c3d.jpg
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	257268

Camping in the Black Forest, Germany