Operation Daily Driver / Adventure Wagon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Operation Daily Driver / Adventure Wagon

I’ll start with a bit of background, I grew up with my dad having all kinds of camper vans, from VW LT’s to Bedford CF’s. I’d always wanted a van but I never quite got myself round to buying one. Then I met my Mrs and her dad is a T4 enthusiast, he has converted the last 3 T4’s he’s owned. So seeing his van gave me the bug for wanting a van again.
    So last year, I think it was around July, we all went camping, me in my Renault Captur with a tent and everyone else in a T4. It rained hard and the wind blew almost everyone’s tent into a pile (our tent was saved by the T4 shields we had).
    It just so happened that one of the father in laws friends was selling his van, he’d insulated and carpeted the back and built a bed in it just for that specific weekend. We liked the look of it and agreed that me and the Mrs would have it for our little lad because he loves his grandads van.

I got round to insuring it in September ‘18 just in time for my birthday and we headed out to the Peak District, pulled up in a lay-by and spent the night, it was one of the best feelings in the world, the next morning I cooked our breakfast on the road with a little portable gas stove. Click image for larger version

Name:	ADFC6110-0A78-4E1E-8AE9-83B20F422CB7.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	171.7 KB
ID:	272722
    We mooched around in it for a bit and chilled. Click image for larger version

Name:	040E1C9F-EFD8-4790-8C9A-7AD38EF19BA6.jpg
Size:	174.6 KB
ID:	272724
    The following month we had our first camping trip with the van, felt so good to be in a van and not a tent.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	18645FAF-3A55-4DA6-BF6A-54EEEABECD2A.jpeg
Size:	149.7 KB
ID:	272723
    In the next post I’ll talk about the plans for the van ����
    Last edited by Iamgrh; 20 April 2019, 06:23 PM.

Brilliant photographs. Looking forward to following this one

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

Comment

Look forward to the updates [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
      Slowly slowly catchy monkey!

Comment

That really captures the spirit of it for me. Will be following with interest.
        Last edited by S49; 20 April 2019, 08:20 PM.

Comment

Looking forward to the updates .

Comment

So, the plans. Since late last year, the van has sat on my grandads drive, I didn’t have the time nor the money to use it, but this month I made the decision to sell my car and use the van as my daily driver as I feel I’ll be more inclined to work on it.
            The MOT ran out while it was sitting, but it only failed on the wipers, mechanically it’s had a lot of work done, it’s super clean underneath, new suspension etc...
            We had our last day out in the van as a trio, the baby, who is now a week overdue is the main reason for needing a rebuild, I need to be able to carry 2 car seats and the gaffer safely. We sat with a cuppa and talked about what work needs doing on the interior. Other than the seats, the top priority is a countertop and a cooker.

Name:	86A78CA1-E10B-4EFA-A13F-0F7C85886821.jpg
Size:	164.3 KB
ID:	266937

Name:	26C02E51-4A99-4BF0-8DA4-B177885D11F4.jpg
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	266938

The RnR bed with seatbelts is a must, I plan on getting 2 single seats up front so we can have a lovely walk through gap. We currently have the double bench on a swivel base, we have a buyer lined up for the base, so the money from that will pay for the seats, happy days.
            The father in law has Hyundai coupe seats in his which I quite like, but I’m open to other options so who knows what seats I’ll end up getting. All I know is, I want comfort, these standard seats, which I believe are slabs disguised as cushions, did a number on my lower back on the last big journey.

For the most part, we’ve been lucky to get a van with work already done on it, insulated, carpeted, leisure battery, lighting, power ports (no 3 pin plug sockets though).

I plan to strip out the back and start from the ground up, taking my time and not rushing it so we have it exactly how we want it.
            We need a window in the sliding door, still undecided on whether or not to put a window in the other side, but the second window isn’t a priory for now.

Progress will be slow because I don’t have a fortune to throw at it, but like I said, if I take my time, everything will be done properly. We don’t plan on any camping trips until our baby is at least 12 months old anyway so that gives me a nice timeframe to get the basics done.

(I tried uploading more photos but they just wouldn’t work)

Comment

We've had ours 2 years and done all the work ourselves. The rear is just standard 4 way carpet retrim and we have caravelle seats in the back on mushroom bolts. We are happy to make do with camp bed or airbed as we don't get many(none as yet) nights away as our youngest(24) is autistic. But now the wets rooms done we'll manage a few this summer hopefully. What i'm trying to say in my usual round about way is do it how you want at your pace, but I expect like us you'll take shed loads of inspiration from the great folk on here.

Comment

P.S I do like a white van with barn doors.

Comment

Another good build thread brewing...can't wait.
                  Me cago en la madre que te parió!

Comment

Originally posted by S49 View Post
                    We've had ours 2 years and done all the work ourselves. The rear is just standard 4 way carpet retrim and we have caravelle seats in the back on mushroom bolts. We are happy to make do with camp bed or airbed as we don't get many(none as yet) nights away as our youngest(24) is autistic. But now the wets rooms done we'll manage a few this summer hopefully. What i'm trying to say in my usual round about way is do it how you want at your pace, but I expect like us you'll take shed loads of inspiration from the great folk on here.
                    I feel you, Rome wasn’t built in a day. I have an uncle and step brother with autism so I know where you’re coming from.
                    I’ve been reading through build threads until I fall asleep lately, I just want to have all the ideas and options covered so I can choose which way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by arfur fox-acre View Post
                      Another good build thread brewing...can't wait.
                      You and me both buddy

Comment

Originally posted by Iamgrh View Post
                        You and me both buddy
                        I read through them all and it was time well spent.
                        Steer clear of mine though, unless you want a rolling crap-shack.

Good luck with it.
                        Me cago en la madre que te parió!

Comment

Great to see another build thread.May be stating the obvious but when you get your seats re register it with the dvla, I’ve done mine as a five seat kombi but sent photos of part numbers,how i’d Fixed the seats etc as I knew I would be carrying my kids in the back.Now it’s registered as a 5 seater,I can carry five people and still be covered.God forbid if an accident happens and yr vans saying 3 seats and your carrying more.I don’t think plod or the insurance would be to impressed.Do it once and do it right.Think that’s the expression but could be back to front lol.

Comment

Originally posted by arfur fox-acre View Post
                            Another one brewing...can't wait.
                            Yeah I’ve got one brewing , ahhhhh to late ,I’ve let it go

On a serious note , good luck with the build , it’s great to look at other people’s builds and see how theyve developed the van to suit their needs , everyone’s different , so many lay out options to chose from .

Comment

Originally posted by Eagles02 View Post
                              Great to see another build thread.May be stating the obvious but when you get your seats re register it with the dvla, I’ve done mine as a five seat kombi but sent photos of part numbers,how i’d Fixed the seats etc as I knew I would be carrying my kids in the back.Now it’s registered as a 5 seater,I can carry five people and still be covered.God forbid if an accident happens and yr vans saying 3 seats and your carrying more.I don’t think plod or the insurance would be to impressed.Do it once and do it right.Think that’s the expression but could be back to front lol.
                              Yes! On the insurance it’s currently a diy conversion in progress. I take it the rnr bed with seatbelts will be classed at 2 seats?

Comment

Working...
                              X