Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    7or8's Avatar Maybe you actually know something (Bronze)
    Thanks
    Anyone got any tips on how to put the exhaust clamps back on?

Tried swearing at it a lot but that doesn't appear to be working....

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 7or8 For This Useful Post:

AndyLeach (21st April 2019)

Activ8's Avatar Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,475 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7or8 View Post
    Anyone got any tips on how to put the exhaust clamps back on?

Tried swearing at it a lot but that doesn't appear to be working....

Make a steel wedge... pic to follow...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Activ8 For This Useful Post:

7or8 (21st April 2019)

S49's Avatar Privileged
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,312 Times in 2,721 Posts
    That's it and it works.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to S49 For This Useful Post:

7or8 (21st April 2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by S49 View Post
    That's it and it works.
    Got my mate on the case to make a couple... handy knowing a sheet metal worker!

Thanks
    Couple of issues with the routing of various pipes / cables.

The coolant pipe running from the left hand end of of the cylinder head - this had a couple of standoff brackets from the inlet manifold to run it along the top of the rocker cover but without touching it. No such mounting points on the acv inlet. Similar for the loom the ran through the U part of the AAB/AJA inlet.

After reading through half a dozen lengthy 2.4 turbo conversion threads, it seems that people just leave the coolant pipe to flop about and don't seem too concerned about it touching the rocker cover. I was a bit worried that it may be too hot for it if it was touching, so might re-use the standoff brackets and attach the to the bottom two mounting bolts for the elbow going into the inlet. Should keep it away from the hottest parts.

For the loom, I think I'm just gonna zip tie it up to the bulkhead or scuttle panel out of the way. There seems to be enough length on it to run the extra distance.

Thanks
    The brake servo vacuum pipe is another problem. With it being shaped to snake around the AJA inlet, it just won't go round the ACV one properly, and leaves some ugly bends that will potentially end up failing. Thinking I'll need to get a 2.5tdi one to replace it, as that should be preformed with the bends in the right place for my setup.

I'll put a wanted up but if anyone can suggest a source (or has one lying about) then please shout.

Activ8's Avatar Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,475 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7or8 View Post
    The brake servo vacuum pipe is another problem. With it being shaped to snake around the AJA inlet, it just won't go round the ACV one properly, and leaves some ugly bends that will potentially end up failing. Thinking I'll need to get a 2.5tdi one to replace it, as that should be preformed with the bends in the right place for my setup.

I'll put a wanted up but if anyone can suggest a source (or has one lying about) then please shout.

Fit new for the best seal possible.

Thanks
    The most annoying bit so far though. Bloody slave cylinder doesn't fit. The hole in the gearbox casing is much smaller on this one, so it just won't go in. It's less than 1k old as well.... If I'd noticed the size difference I'd have switched the gearbox casings round - or at least changed the slave when the bay was empty!

Have seen a few online without the rubber boot and they're just a metal pin. Currently wondering if I can just change the boot and plastic end cap, rather than changing the full thing and having to re-bleed it. Either way, I think I should be able to do this through the passenger wheel arch if I drop the engine a touch on that side.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Activ8 View Post
    Fit new for the best seal possible.
    Fair enough. Can't see them being horrendously expensive anyway. I've done ok on bits I've had to buy so far - was expecting to have to shell out for a PAS pump and didn't in the end, so still have a bit in my back pocket.

Thanks
    After a couple of weeks waiting for bits and doing other stuff, made some more progress this evening.

Brake vac pipe is now on, got a used one cheap but seems to seal better than my old one.

Re-routed some of the electrics and coolant pipes so it's all a bit tidier - and hopefully keeps the electrics away from the hotter places.

Fitted the air intake pipe - this was a right bugger to get by the dipstick. Needed to bend the dipstick bracket to get it to fit, but it's in and not going anywhere!

Replaced a load of old rusty hose clips with stainless jubilees, on both the PAS and coolant systems.

Chopped a D-shape oil sensor connector into the loom, so it'd fit the incorrect sensor I bought (FFS).

Added a manual boost controller.

Fitted the intercooler and pipework (what an absolute bugger the rear bolt on the top bracket is!!!)

Feeling productive and more importantly, the end is in sight.