No announcement yet.

Timmy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, just bolted off. Pretty straightforward once i was told it was two-piece. I have a high torque impact wrench, so 450Nm was no trouble... I didn't use a new bolt though. Google now tells me they're the stretch type but at the same time, the 65mm 2.4 one has now been discontinued. Anyone know someone who still carries these in stock?

(Thanks for the nudge/reminder, Reg!)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by 7or8 View Post
      . I have a high torque impact wrench, so 450Nm was no trouble... I didn't use a new bolt though.
      You have a manual torque wrench that goes to 450Nm, I wouldn't trust a windy gun on a crank bolt.

There's two reasons crank pulleys fail so often.....well, actually three, but you can't do much about the piss poor design.

You normally get a new bolt in the cambelt and tensioner set - did they not supply one?

Comment

Wouldn't trust a buzz gun on getting to a torque of that amount. On the crank of the Volvo 2.4d we used a great big Britool torque wrench with a toque multiplier on the drive square. Your asking for trouble just buzzing it up.

Comment

Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
          You normally get a new bolt in the cambelt and tensioner set - did they not supply one?
          Cambelt was changed less than 1k ago so have left it. Just swapped the ancillary pulleys over.

Comment

Originally posted by S49 View Post
            Wouldn't trust a buzz gun on getting to a torque of that amount. On the crank of the Volvo 2.4d we used a great big Britool torque wrench with a toque multiplier on the drive square. Your asking for trouble just buzzing it up.
            Buzz gun is rated to 500Nm (more for unfastening) dewalt dcf899 - it's a beast!! Not got a torque wrench that goes that high to check it!

Comment

Trouble is what they state they can achieve and what they actually can are very often 2 different things. Also depends on your compressor output. Too many variables for my liking. I'd hire either a wrench with the right toque capacity or use a torque multiplier.

Comment

It's a battery powered one. Pretty much brand new, with only one recharge to date. All the independent tests I've seen gave consistent results, so I'm happy it'll give that output in the real world.

Comment

Thanks for this 7or8.

I’ve got the 2.4 aja, and if I ever need a new engine I’d like to have the option of either an AJA or AAB.

So this thread is now firmly in my favourites.

Thanks for the updates and photos.

Keep ‘em coming.

Frenchy.

Comment

Originally posted by frenchdna View Post
                    I’ve got the 2.4 aja, and if I ever need a new engine I’d like to have the option of either an AJA or AAB.
                    As far as I've seen there's no significant external difference in the block itself. Things that ARE different so far:

1. V-belt pulleys on the AAB. Can be changed over but it's an all-or-nothing scenario - can't mix and match. I've gone with the pulley setup from my AJA... figured that the newer setup would be an improvement, or they wouldn't have changed it.

2. Power steering pump is on the back of the AAB and underneath at the front of the AJA. All the right holes to mount the bracket and pump were present on each block for either option.

3. Tied in with the above, the cambelt side engine mount and bracket are different (the bracket on the AAB holds the PS pump). The mount itself is much shorter on the AAB and someone else has said that the whole unit it at a slightly different height, so I used both the mounts and brackets from the AJA to make sure. I measured the gearbox side and there was only 2mm difference overall though.

4. Gearbox steady on the AJA is a big forked bracket from the front subframe to underneath the gearbox. On the AAB the mounting point is at the very back of the gearbox and goes straight into the subframe, doing away with the forked bracket. Seems more solid. This may be a gearbox specific variation though, so could be either type attached to either engine for all I know!

5. Alternator is higher up and further in on the AJA. Puts the belts at better angles and uses one ally bracket rather than two heavy steel ones. I've used this as part of the pulley change over.

Will add to this list as I carry on. No doubt I'll come across other stuff...

Comment

Trouble is what they state they can achieve and what they actually can are very often 2 different things. Also depends on your compressor output. Too many variables for my liking. I'd hire either a wrench with the right toque capacity or use a torque multiplier.
                      Just looked into a torque multiplier... there's a thing I never knew existed! Could use one of those in conjunction with my existing torque wrench (300Nm max). Ends up being a bit of a guess though, given they all seem to have estimated % losses. Proper rated wrench would be best but they're crazy money!!

Comment

What torque setting is needed?

Comment

Its what your happy with at the end of the day mate. At Volvo they didn't want any come backs so it was always by the book. Our foreman was a very clever old school engineer so we always took his advice on board.

Comment

Its what your happy with at the end of the day mate. At Volvo they didn't want any come backs so it was always by the book. Our foreman was a very clever old school engineer so we always took his advice on board.
                            Cheers Si but what should the torque be.... out of curiosity as I've got a multiplier but never used it. Mates garage has got it on loan.

Comment

Not sure Rob, 7or8 was talking in the region of 450 Newton metres I think. Always safer to use pounds feet I reckon.

Comment

Cant find the crank pulley bolt torque in the Haynes for the 5 cylinder. Says the ABL is 66 pounds feet plus 90 degrees. Thought it was higher but I never touch it when doing the belt.

Comment

Working...
                                X