No announcement yet.

Timmy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah gotcha. I thought the old one was just the standard '98 spec wheel. If not, I have no idea!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Comment

Currently a bit confused about the engine mountings. The AAB has a much thinner mount and is threaded for bolts, with the AJA mount having protruding threads for nuts to go on.

I think I need to keep the AAB bracket as that also supports the PS pump - which means I also need to use the AAB mount to keep the overall bracket+mount height the same. Do I just need to get the bolts for the AAB mount?

Comment

Quick call to Cali campers and I'm sorted (in principle!)

Turns out I CAN use the old PS pump, I 'just' need to switch the pulleys and then the drivers side engine mount and bracket. All the ancilliaries are interchangeable, but it's an all or nothing deal due to the different pulley arrangements.

Both engines are sat on pallets in my garage now, so at least I have plenty of dry space to do this.

Need to do this without messing up the timing on my new motor though, so can anyone point me in the right direction of a timing lock tool set that'll let me do this? Prices vary massively... don't want to pay over the odds for something that has loads of unnecessary stuff - but similarly, don't want to get a cheaper one that is missing stuff I need.

Comment

Timmy

Why would you mess up the timing when you’re only changing the ancillary pulleys? I may have missed something but the crAnk sprocket is on a woodruff key and you’ll only be swapping the harmonic dampener to be anywhere near the timing?

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
          #vanlife

Comment

I have to switch the crank pulley. Surely (if not locked) that will screw with my timing since it drives the main toothed belt behind the larger, outer v-belt lip?

Comment

Hang on... does the outer ancillary belt sprocket bolt onto the cam belt pulley behind it? I thought it was one piece...

Comment

It bolts on. The 4 bolts and the main Uber tight one. Release all 5 and carefully remove the pulley away from the sprocket.

#vanlife

Comment

Awesome. That's my job for tomorrow sorted then!

Comment

How did it go?

#vanlife

Comment

Pulleys switched over, engine mounts and brackets switched, now in place. That gearbox steady was a bitch to line up but it's in. Happy with my progress for the day. Now the light has gone I'm gonna go drink some rum!!

Thanks for the advice everyone [emoji106]

Comment

Still need an AAB cam belt cover. I couldn't use the AJA one for two reasons: would have had to take the top cam pulley off, and the side plate on the two engines are different, so the covers at the bottom wouldn't fit.

Comment

Great progress mate

Comment

Wow that’s a great days work. Won’t be long till it’s fired?!

#vanlife

Comment

Originally posted by TommyP View Post
                              Wow that’s a great days work. Won’t be long till it’s fired?!
                              Only swapped pulleys and manoeuvred it in. Now onto the fun part..... the 'what's this pipe and where the hell does it go' part.

Oh, make some space in your inbox too, Tommy [emoji106]

Comment

Originally posted by TommyP View Post
                                It bolts on. The 4 bolts and the main Uber tight one. Release all 5 and carefully remove the pulley away from the sprocket.

sure?

long time since I did a 2.4, but do you need to move the centre bolt - best to never ever undo the centre bolt, but if you have...... good luck trying to get the bloody thing back up to torque, and remember to replace the bolt.

Comment

Working...
                                X