Timmy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timmy

About time I started a thread instead of the splattergun approach with questions everywhere.

This was Timmy when I got him

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

...And here he is now lol

Comment

Mega build thread coming up hopefully.................love it.

Comment

Are those standard wheels banded?..............not to be confused with standard wheels that are the new banded.

Comment

Originally posted by S49 View Post
          Are those standard wheels banded?..............not to be confused with standard wheels that are the new banded.
          Erm. The first one I believe. Puts a bit of a stretch on the tyres but not too bad.

Comment

Looks a decent van mate, what’s the reason for the strip down....?

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

Comment

Originally posted by S49 View Post
              Mega build thread coming up hopefully.................love it.
              Not like some of the ones on here. Engine swap was a necessity as the old one was fubar. Just hoping the one I've bought doesn't turn out to be as bad a purchase as the van!

My 'build' will only be as far as keeping it functional and making it more useful. The interior has already been done and is lovely but I will be looking to make some improvements / additions over time, given the body holds up.

The shell isn't the best - but far from the worst I've seen! Needs some work on the front arches and there are a couple of holes in the sills that need plating up. The previous, previous owner sent me a load of pics from when they repaired the floor and rear quarters... they seem to have done a thorough job.

The running gear is tired but he's done 320k so is to be expected. Ultimately it can all be replaced and I'm starting with the biggest part of that - stuff like brakes, steering and suspension are basically consumables as far as I'm concerned.

I guess my view is that as long as it goes and does the stuff I want a camper to do, I'm not too fussed about how it looks.... it's the fun we have along the way that matters.

Comment

Originally posted by Ross.b View Post
                Looks a decent van mate, what’s the reason for the strip down....?

Piston rings were dead - eating oil like no tomorrow. Worked out the price of a rebuild and it was going to be a LOT more than I picked the replacement engine for. The fact it had been turbo'd already was a massive plus.

Comment

Here's the inside. All custom made from old pallets. The RX8 seats are ace and work well for me as my other car is an RX7... actually thinking of getting another set for that as they're so comfortable.

Comment

Can't take credit for any of the above. That was all the good work of another member on here (I think).

The only thing I've done so far is about 20k miles to find out what it needs and what we want from it. Oh, changed the steering wheel too as the old one was gammy and starting to disintegrate. Just a cheap second hand one but looks and feels much better.

Comment

Nice , I’m guessing it’s a 2.4d engine ?

Comment

Originally posted by Fruitbat View Post
                        Nice , I’m guessing it’s a 2.4d engine ?
                        Yep. Was an AJA and the one going in is an AAB. Means I need a few bits though. Was missing the power steering pump and pulley, plus the outer cam belt cover. Pretty sure I can't use any of those parts from the AJA on the AAB.

Comment

What are you doing with the old AJA? I wouldn’t mind a spare AJA and ABL. I’ll rebuild myself. Also what was the original steering wheel out of? I like that.

#vanlife

Comment

Originally posted by TommyP View Post
                            What are you doing with the old AJA?]
                            Got to figure out if I need to steal any bits first. Having a bit of a head scratch around the PS pump (was missing from the AAB) and the engine mounts. Not sure what is interchangeable at the moment. Once I've sussed that, the AJA will be available for cheap.

Originally posted by TommyP View Post
                            Also what was the original steering wheel out of?
                            The replacement wheel is just a barchetta one on an eBay hub. £27 all in.

Comment

Originally posted by 7or8 View Post
                              Got to figure out if I need to steal any bits first. Having a bit of a head scratch around the PS pump (was missing from the AAB) and the engine mounts. Not sure what is interchangeable at the moment. Once I've sussed that, the AJA will be available for cheap.

The replacement wheel is just a barchetta one on an eBay hub. £27 all in.
                              I’ll have no need for any ancillaries anyway just the main stuff so that sounds perfect. Just let me know when it’s available and we can chat again.

What was the other wheel out of? The plastic one? Looks VAG?

#vanlife

Comment

Working...
                              X