Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VCDS (or other similar diagnostic software)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VCDS (or other similar diagnostic software)

Anyone got tips on whether I should get a VCDS cable and software?

Pretty sure I need it to configure my new instrument cluster when I put it in. But as I've got a 1997 1.9td, I don't think it will have any other diagnostic use on the van.

Ross tech online seems to sell the vcds cable and software but seems pretty steep.

Cheers.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Just T4s

No its a case of the lights on but nobodies home. No fault code memory on the ABL. You may be able to "correct" the mileage reading via the obd plug.

Comment

If that's all i can do via the OBD plug then it sounds like it's probably just worth paying someone else to correct my mileage? haha

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbungla View Post
        If that's all i can do via the OBD plug then it sounds like it's probably just worth paying someone else to correct my mileage? haha
        If it's just your mileage I can do it for you. pm me. [emoji106]

Comment

Awesome, cheers Activ. Here are some pics of my cluster. I've got the loom with it as well if that helps?

Comment

Yep I can do that for you.

Comment

Awesome, cheers. Here are some pics of the old cluster coming out.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbungla View Post
                Awesome, cheers. Here are some pics of the old cluster coming out.

Hold the horses.... completely different clusters bud . You cannot fit your replacement , compare the two !

Comment

Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
                  Hold the horses.... completely different clusters bud . You cannot fit your replacement , compare the two !
                  Unless I'm missing something, all that's missing is the "surround" for the newer style clusters... The cluster itself should bolt in and work with swapping over from the old to new style harness.

Comment

Originally posted by lawanderson View Post
                    Unless I'm missing something, all that's missing is the "surround" for the newer style clusters... The cluster itself should bolt in and work with swapping over from the old to new style harness.
                    "If" you have the harness conversion ...

Comment

"If" you have the harness conversion ...
                      Fair point.

It's been a good while since I first messed with clusters. I don't recall having to modify the new style harness much if at all (don't get me started on the CAN Bora ones!). I though that I saw that the OP had the loom. I probably made that up.
                      Last edited by lawanderson; 21 March 2019, 01:18 PM.

Comment

I hope I can!!! haha.

Had a look at a few guides online and it seems the upgrade to this newer cluster is fairly straightforward. I also have the new loom to go with it. I've found a guide that says what wires need to go to what wires between old and new, and i'm and electrical engineer so i'm really hoping the transfer shouldnt be too much of a ballache.

I've got the surround to go in as well.

Only thing i don't know is if there will be any software tweaking on VCDS to "set up" the new cluster for my van - i.e. turn off sensors that my van doesnt have... Although reading into it it looks like you can just ground wires that dont have a sensor to go to and the cluster shouldn't alarm.

Does this sound about right Activ?

Comment

Oh and i've checked and my new cluster isnt CAN - so good on that front.

Comment

What is that dash out of, I have one from an 03 plate 2.5tdi thinking now should I have had the loom to?

Comment

Sounds good. I'll switch the sensors off in VCDS for you. [emoji106]

Comment

Working...
                              X