t4 -5speed gearbox strip down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• t4 -5speed gearbox strip down

have looked on u-tube but not seen quite a t4 strip down but a Golf GTI is on there.....
    is this a good guide or totally different ...?
    I want to change 2nd, 3rd and 4th synchro rings.....my g/box is perfect in every other way.....using Synthetic oil......
    already done the 5th gear overdrive mod....very happy with that.....
    any help please....
    thanks clogs

What's the gearbox code of the Golf GTI?

Comment

will try to find out this weekend..........
      the only problem I see is the grey selector mechanism, not very clear on the vid.....
      I live in the boonies of a foreign land, there's no help around......
      did think of getting another used gearbox but the add's on the bay were talking nearly £1000.....most add's from Holland......
      my box is very quiet , doesn't leak oil...it's just the sacra's are weak.......
      my wife drives it a lot (with which I'm very happy) but she finds double de-clutching quite hard.......
      BUT it needs fixing......
      thanks for the interest.....clogs

Comment

seem to remember being asked for the g/box code before......
        I tend to leave chassis numbers on my computer as I get them but cannot find it.......
        so is there an ally tag or some certain lump/thing/bolt etc etc that will tell me what the code is by it's style.......

as it failed it's MOT for fuel emissions (1.9TD manual cold start), was thinking of
        ripping the entire lump out, get the pump and injectors rebuilt..
        replace all the water hoses and do the box at the same time......

thanks for the help.......

Comment

Underneath the fuse box there should be a cover plate that slides out when pulled towards you. This cover contains the original van build spec including the gearbox code (3 letters). Example of mine ...gearbox code EWB.... pic to follow.
          Last edited by Activ8; 9 February 2019, 11:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
            Underneath the fuse box there should be a cover plate that slides out when pulled towards you. This cover contains the original van build spec including the gearbox code (3 letters). Example of mine ...gearbox code EWB.... pic to follow.
            Great information ℹ️🤙🏽🤙🏽🤙🏽

T4ism is not a Dis-ease Just T4s

Comment

T4. 5speed gearbox strip

Originally posted by AndyLeach View Post
              Great information ℹ️🤙🏽🤙🏽🤙🏽

T4ism is not a Dis-ease Just T4s
              Many thank, will look at the sticker when I get home....clogs

Comment

Originally posted by clogs View Post
                as it failed it's MOT for fuel emissions (1.9TD manual cold start), was thinking of
                ripping the entire lump out, get the pump and injectors rebuilt..
                replace all the water hoses and do the box at the same time......

thanks for the help.......
                That's completely overboard for emissions failure, turn the fuel screw down 1/4 turn an MOT again.

Pump and injectors are fine

If you are using the cold start then your timing is out.

Stripping the box is easy enough - Undo the bolts and gently ease the casing apart.

Replace bits as required, the gearbox shop sell a rebuild kit that will contain all/most of the required bearings and seals - I recall the diff outrigger side bearing and seal might be wrong if you don't buy the specific T4 kit.
                Synchros will have to be bought separate - there's probably a kit as the same ones always go on the T4

The Golf guide will be fine - as long as you go for an 020 series gearbox guide

Comment

Working...
                X