Suspension..there, I've said it!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suspension..there, I've said it!

I've been reading a lot of posts on here and other forums about suspension. I've owned my van for over 2 years now and suspension was near the top of the list of things to do. So here goes!

Ever since owning the van its been a very harsh ride, I feel every little bump / hole in the road. Everything is amplified like I've hit a huge pothole every time. Even to the point that the bang will sometimes feel like the screens going to crack!

I have Vito 17" steels with standard tyres and I know the van has been lowered but I dont know by how much. Here lies my quandary. My question is where do I start? - do I replace front shocks and Shocks and springs on rear and guesss the spring (if its 40mm / 60mm) or should I look at those adjustable ones? However the whole thing will depend on the cost (as always! I also have a service including cambelt/waterpump etc to get done this spring). I've seen entire kits as cheap as £135 on ebay but I guess its a "you get what you pay for scenario" there?!

Could it be I can adjust something to make the ride less harsh for now? Any help or advice regarding this would be really appreciated.

Sounds like your on your front bumpstops mate.Get a torch and with the van on it’s wheels.Looki n behind front wheels.You should see the shock and just in front the swing arm and a cone looking black rubber bumpstop.My guess is that the swing arm is to close to the bumpstop.You need about a 30mm gap.Jack it up and with the wheel off,get a junior hacksaw on the bumpstop and cut horizontally across.Take 15mm off each side and go for a drive.Reckon that should sought it.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagles02 View Post
      Sounds like your on your front bumpstops mate.Get a torch and with the van on it’s wheels.Looki n behind front wheels.You should see the shock and just in front the swing arm and a cone looking black rubber bumpstop.My guess is that the swing arm is to close to the bumpstop.You need about a 30mm gap.Jack it up and with the wheel off,get a junior hacksaw on the bumpstop and cut horizontally across.Take 15mm off each side and go for a drive.Reckon that should sought it.
      I think I understand most of that! So am I just shaving off 15mm of the rubber cone bumpstop on each side? I'll take a look over the weekend.

Sent from my E6633 using Just T4s

Comment

Yep.do this first.It’s cheap and easy and you won’t harm anything in the process.

Comment

Yep.do this first.It’s cheap and easy and you won’t harm anything in the process.
          OK cheers mate

Comment

This black rubber bit mate..

As the above said yours will be cone shaped, as I’ve already cut mine down...[emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

Comment

Originally posted by Ross.b View Post

As the above said yours will be cone shaped, as I’ve already cut mine down...[emoji1303]

Thanks for the photo. So am I right in saying that a previous owner has adjusted torsion bars to bring front down? From reading up as far as I found thus appears to be the way it's lowered at the front? If this is the case can I adjust bars to bring it up a bit? Then on the rear I'll look at replacing the springs.

Comment

Yes you can wind the torsion bars back up. 27mm spanner

Sent from the Midlands by pigeon

Comment

Originally posted by rjhoy02 View Post
                  Yes you can wind the torsion bars back up. 27mm spanner

Sent from the Midlands by pigeon
                  I agree with Roy, might it be cheapest for the time being to get it on a level surface and firstly measure the ride height and make some adjustments?
                  Not disagreeing with other advice but your ride is probably different to my townie drive, we're all in different locations and use our vans in different ways with different loads.
                  Find your ride height for the road and conditions you drive.
                  Adjust the front torsion bars with a 27mm spanner , there plenty of advice about how to do it here and elsewhere.
                  If you need to adjust the rears a little, check your rear springs are they fitted with the rubber spacers/underlay top and bottom of the springs, those could give you 5-10mm.

Comment

Originally posted by Ross.b View Post

Watching this with interest as I'm in the same boat.

Ross mate, where did you get your new front sus mounting plate? Did you make it up yourself?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Just T4s

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbungla View Post
                      Watching this with interest as I'm in the same boat.

Ross mate, where did you get your new front sus mounting plate? Did you make it up yourself?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Just T4s
                      Not my work mate, Supplied by Scarface Lowriders aka "Dave Sausages" from this forum, quality bit of kit in my opinion if you want decent lows, and no crashing/banging on the front end anymore, As you can see I also went for adjustable short Gaz shocks and the ride is low but lovely now.

Give Dave Sausages a shout as he is the resident suspension guru on this forum and a really helpful bloke.

Comment

Ok 888,this is a picture of my van when 1st lowered on 55mm springs,front down the same.The ride at this height was shocking until I realised I needed to trim the bumpstop.Have a Look at the arch gap compared to yours.if it’s there or there abouts.Turn your steering full lock on the ground and look at your bumpstops.For a simple check like that,costs absolutely nothing.Click image for larger version

Name:	CDBE85F6-9AB5-4256-9E09-81A372CF9F1E.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	266385it’s worth doing first.Remember it’s got to be approx 30mm gap.My bet is,it’ll be more like 10mmClick image for larger version

Name:	1A95F07C-3700-4694-BEF9-7EE984CD3ED1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	266386For the record,this is my van at 110mm wither the Dave sausage mounts that have been mentioned already.Still no banging.!!.

Comment

Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
                          I agree with Roy, might it be cheapest for the time being to get it on a level surface and firstly measure the ride height and make some adjustments?
                          Not disagreeing with other advice but your ride is probably different to my townie drive, we're all in different locations and use our vans in different ways with different loads.
                          Find your ride height for the road and conditions you drive.
                          Adjust the front torsion bars with a 27mm spanner , there plenty of advice about how to do it here and elsewhere.
                          If you need to adjust the rears a little, check your rear springs are they fitted with the rubber spacers/underlay top and bottom of the springs, those could give you 5-10mm.
                          Thanks Activ. so from what you have said I'm assuming I could buy some of those rubber spacers too?

Comment

Ok 888,this is a picture of my van when 1st lowered on 55mm springs,front down the same.The ride at this height was shocking until I realised I needed to trim the bumpstop.Have a Look at the arch gap compared to yours.if it’s there or there abouts.Turn your steering full lock on the ground and look at your bumpstops.For a simple check like that,costs absolutely nothing.[ATTACH=CONFIG]11319[/ATTACH]it’s worth doing first.Remember it’s got to be approx 30mm gap.My bet is,it’ll be more like 10mm[ATTACH=CONFIG]11320[/ATTACH]For the record,this is my van at 110mm wither the Dave sausage mounts that have been mentioned already.Still no banging.!!.
                            Yes my van sits similar to your first photo. Can't see any gap!

Comment

Originally posted by 888_special View Post
                              Thanks Activ. so from what you have said I'm assuming I could buy some of those rubber spacers too?

Sure can. Might be enough to level it all up. Are both currently fitted?

Comment

Working...
                              X