Unwin rail mounting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unwin rail mounting

I'm looking at using low profile Unwin rails in the back and I'll sort my ply flooring at the same time.
    As the van floor isn't flat, what's the best way of mounting the rails? Would it be best to have some steel plates that span the ridges in the floor to give a flat surface to lay the rails on?

Thanks
    James

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Just T4s

Lay 'em on the ply? Router some grooves in the ply?

Comment

Not keen on having the rails on the ply... tightening the bolts to an acceptable torque would be difficult if you add a compressible material into the mix, so should the worst happen, the shear stress through the bolts could have them snapping.

Comment

What does Unwin recommend for fixing that particular rail? Must be a common question?

Comment

From their PDF, the low profile rail needs to be mounted directly to the vehicle floor, the ply flooring sits under the rail edges.
          Interestingly though, the surface mount rail can be laid on top of the ply, but I can't see how you can get an even and accurate torque (11nm iirc) with a material that can be compressed under load - I've had a seat break loose because aluminium box was used to raise the seat. In the impact (stock car racing), the aluminium box compressed so the torque on the bolts was reduced, the seat could then move a bit and the bolts sheared. Not fun!

Comment

Are there any "clues" in their floor kits? What's the minimum length of rail as it has a M10 (?) fixing every 10cm(?) - assume it's to the nearest 10cm or fixing. Is the rail for a R&R bed? Some of the R&R bed builders offer it as an option so could be worth a chat about their specs??

Comment

It's an M8 every 10.16cm, the minimum rail length would be around 11-12cm as each rail needs a minimum of two fixings.

I finally got hold of Unwin who were really helpful once I got through to the right person - my first attempt at contacting them last week was less than successful lol.
              They have said it is safe to mount the rail on to ply and bolt through that to the vehicle floor/chassis, provided all the fixings are used at the correct spacing.

I'm still not sure personally, but if the manufacturer says it's ok, then I'll go with that.

Comment

Originally posted by V&J T4 View Post
                It's an M8 every 10.16cm, the minimum rail length would be around 11-12cm as each rail needs a minimum of two fixings.

I finally got hold of Unwin who were really helpful once I got through to the right person - my first attempt at contacting them last week was less than successful lol.
                They have said it is safe to mount the rail on to ply and bolt through that to the vehicle floor/chassis, provided all the fixings are used at the correct spacing.

I'm still not sure personally, but if the manufacturer says it's ok, then I'll go with that.

I ripped some out of my van when I got it and that's how they were installed in there. Except they hadn't used large enough spreader plates under the van just some big washers!

Sent from my E6633 using Just T4s

Comment

Unwin spec 30mm washers for the fixings. The spreader plates are used for angled flooring where washers can't lay flat. I expect I'll need a few of those lol

Comment

Our rails are in the floor then we cut out a gap the length of the rails and a bit narrower in the ply floor so it fits under the lip of the rails. If you get what I mean.
                    Up there for thinking, down there for dancing.

Comment

Originally posted by caravellvis View Post
                      Lay 'em on the ply? Router some grooves in the ply?
                      Do you work for Unwin? [emoji23] That's what they have now told me to do lol.

The very helpful technical chap from Unwin got back to me again and said they've never noticed the difference in the pictures between mounting low profile and surface mount on their instructions. He didn't understand why they would be different.

Anyway, his suggestion for the low profile rail is to use 18mm plywood and route 12mm deep groves (maybe slightly less depending on flooring finish) for the rail to sit in.

Comment

Originally posted by V&J T4 View Post
                        Do you work for Unwin? [emoji23] That's what they have now told me to do lol.

The very helpful technical chap from Unwin got back to me again and said they've never noticed the difference in the pictures between mounting low profile and surface mount on their instructions. He didn't understand why they would be different.

Anyway, his suggestion for the low profile rail is to use 18mm plywood and route 12mm deep groves (maybe slightly less depending on flooring finish) for the rail to sit in.

That's great customer service from Unwin , thanks for posting and letting us all know. Had a couple of strips in the garage for ages that might be useful - thought I might use it on one of those folding centre rail T5 tables.

Comment

Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
                          That's great customer service from Unwin , thanks for posting and letting us all know. Had a couple of strips in the garage for ages that might be useful - thought I might use it on one of those folding centre rail T5 tables.
                          My plan is to use the rails for the seats and also to secure my bikes and other loads when the seats are removed.
                          I hadn't thought about using it for a table, that's a great idea.

Comment

Working...
                          X