Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Activ8's Avatar Privileged
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,872 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rjhoy02 View Post
    I feel a project coming on......

Sent from the Midlands by pigeon
    I doubt with diesel Roy, an electric conversion is the way forward... battery technology is making huge leaps. A friend of the Mrs is head of RR E-Fan X Project. Our vans are ideal for a full conversion or a hybrid system downsizing the diesel engine to say a 1.6tdi!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Activ8 For This Useful Post:

Snowrider (16th March 2019)

rjhoy02's Avatar Privileged
    Thanks
    Electric isn't the way forward. No way of disposing of spent traction batteries, they remain very explosive if not treated with respect. We've got hybrids that are being converted back to conventional diesel buses due to the cost of replacing the battery pack. (£40000+). Also the scarcity of the ores used to produce them. Hydrogen fuel cells are the way to go

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rjhoy02 View Post
    Electric isn't the way forward. No way of disposing of spent traction batteries, they remain very explosive if not treated with respect. We've got hybrids that are being converted back to conventional diesel buses due to the cost of replacing the battery pack. (£40000+). Also the scarcity of the ores used to produce them. Hydrogen fuel cells are the way to go

Doesn't that read more like poor financial planning & purchasing or a bad lease contract on the Bus Co's part Roy? & after how many miles 1000000 (?) or 4p a mile . They probably got some Government /Local Authority Grant, awarded up front to blind their common sense to go carbon neutral early and then failed to do the maths.

Jonnybigballs85's Avatar Unemployed (Platinum)
    Thanks
    So, my wifeís much loved beetle lasted 4 weeks until some cock pulled out in front of her on a bend and they they had a corner to corner head on if that makes sense... the insurance company have scrapped it now so I have bought a new one for her which is the slightly more powerful 1.6. Itís using the BFS engine but it has a rough idle on it. Iíve put it has no lights up but it has chucked out a few codes, since clearing them they have come back. Iíve checked the egr which seemed clean, and the actuator tests show its working. Iím thinking it could be maf sensor. Has anyone had any luck just cleaning it? The car is 2008 but only has 41k on so I would imagine it must be a sensor issue or vac leak. Iíve sprayed some easy start about some vac pipes and itís not shown anything.

Do any of you guys know much about this engine?

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

S49's Avatar Privileged
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,022 Times in 2,522 Posts
    Sorry to hear this hope all are ok.

Fruitbat's Avatar Unemployed (Platinum)
    Thanks
    You can try cleaning the MAF sensor with brake and clutch cleaner , remove the sensor first , sorry to hear the beetle has been written off .

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnybigballs85 View Post
    So, my wifeís much loved beetle lasted 4 weeks until some cock pulled out in front of her on a bend and they they had a corner to corner head on if that makes sense... the insurance company have scrapped it now so I have bought a new one for her which is the slightly more powerful 1.6. Itís using the BFS engine but it has a rough idle on it. Iíve put it has no lights up but it has chucked out a few codes, since clearing them they have come back. Iíve checked the egr which seemed clean, and the actuator tests show its working. Iím thinking it could be maf sensor. Has anyone had any luck just cleaning it? The car is 2008 but only has 41k on so I would imagine it must be a sensor issue or vac leak. Iíve sprayed some easy start about some vac pipes and itís not shown anything.

Do any of you guys know much about this engine?

Shame , nice looking car but hope all's well. What codes is it throwing out?

Thanks
    My daughter was fine but the wife is suffering! Iíll post the codes up soon

Thanks

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnybigballs85 View Post
    My daughter was fine but the wife is suffering! Iíll post the codes up soon

My Mrs would say the same without a car accident!