My winter project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jonny888 View Post
    Would like to end up ride height as similar to this photo as possible[emoji106]
    That's a nice look. [emoji106]

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	AE9DCCA5-3A4D-42F1-A0F0-0A0FA74FDFB7.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	266092this is mine with 5inch Faulkner’s,10mm rubber top mounts 17’s and 205 55 tyres.Just to give you an idea.Looks like 4inch springs to achieve where you want to be mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagles02 View Post
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]10948[/ATTACH]this is mine with 5inch Faulkner’s,10mm rubber top mounts 17’s and 205 55 tyres.Just to give you an idea.Looks like 4inch springs to achieve where you want to be mate.
        Thanks for your advice mate, it's good to be able to see what others are running to make a better decision on what I need. I think you're right about the 4" faulkners, but I am gonna see how I get on with the front first, looking at a subtle double notch, and I have to think of sump protection too. Don't want to get into engine raising if I can help it as it doesn't seem easy on a 2.5TDi. Watch this space[emoji1]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Just T4s

Comment

It’s more the gearbox mount than sump you have to worry about.Have scraped mine a few times,but got away with it and that’s at my height,not wound right down at the front.10mm of thread left.If an when you take a break from bodywork and you haven’t already.’great thread by the way’.I’d have a good read of the lowering thread by Dave sausages in the suspension section on here.

Comment

So both rear barn doors removed and the glass taken out to check the condition around the apatures. The driver side one is either needing a patch repair or new door. Rust has attacked a section of seam right where the internal lock pins, is that common?
            After looking inside the door I found it totally rust free, so I will cut the rusted part out and butt weld a new piece in. You won't even see this area once glass and seal fitted.

Comment

Our doors are a bit like that. But being the hoarder I am we have two spare pairs. Toying with fitting the grey ones on to match the roof and bonnet, or will that be too much?

Comment

Did you get them out intact? As we have dark glass in ours so i'd like to swap into the grey pair and I wont want to loose the Just T4's posting stickers.

Comment

Next I have removed the windscreen, and I'm glad I did with the amount of surface corrosion I found. I had wanted to remove it because of a few stone chips at top, and also because it didn't look like it fitted right. The seal round my caravelle screen is a snug fit all the way round, but this one had a gap all round about 5mm. After removal I have found the cause of the gap...a fitter must have replaced the screen at some point, but instead of removing the old sealant first there is evidence of two seperate layers of sealant and in some areas in is over 10mm thick!
                  This job is a nightmare, over 3 hours to remove all the sealant fully and then to sand it all back with a flap wheel. Gave it a couple of coats of Fertan rust converter just for good measure.
                  Unfortunately the windscreen didn't survive, so a claim on the insurance will be needed. Does anyone know if they supply a new trim strip with a new screen?

Comment

When I did mine in the spring i bought a windscreen surround off fleabay,. It was a complete one with no join. Anyway I bust the screen so when they came and fitted the new one he used the one I had but they kept it on a roll. Glad I got one as I have seen so many where the joint has shrunk and left a gap in the seal. If I hadn't broke the screen I had the bonding "in stock" to refit myself. They fitted ours for 120 all in.

Comment

Originally posted by S49 View Post
                      Did you get them out intact? As we have dark glass in ours so i'd like to swap into the grey pair and I wont want to loose the Just T4's posting stickers.
                      Yeah Si, came out no problem. They must go due to condensation as it's only the lower edge corroded. The rest of the surround is mint.

Comment

Originally posted by S49 View Post
                        When I did mine in the spring i bought a windscreen surround off fleabay,. It was a complete one with no join. Anyway I bust the screen so when they came and fitted the new one he used the one I had but they kept it on a roll. Glad I got one as I have seen so many where the joint has shrunk and left a gap in the seal. If I hadn't broke the screen I had the bonding "in stock" to refit myself. They fitted ours for 120 all in.
                        It was funny because once I had the correct tool the removal went great until the last pillar and the inevitable crack, no warning. What I didn't know was each pillar has two raised pressings to aid correct fitting, and I had obviously caught one and this put pressure on the glass. At least an excuse for a brand new windscreen now[emoji106]
                        Good tip about the trim seal, I'm going to buy a complete one too,

Comment

Yes it was on the little raised lump that I broke ours.

Comment

The screen's got to come out of the crash repair project as its already bust but there's scabs to do on the aperture.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonny888 View Post
                              Next I have removed the windscreen, and I'm glad I did with the amount of surface corrosion I found. I had wanted to remove it because of a few stone chips at top, and also because it didn't look like it fitted right. The seal round my caravelle screen is a snug fit all the way round, but this one had a gap all round about 5mm. After removal I have found the cause of the gap...a fitter must have replaced the screen at some point, but instead of removing the old sealant first there is evidence of two seperate layers of sealant and in some areas in is over 10mm thick!
                              This job is a nightmare, over 3 hours to remove all the sealant fully and then to sand it all back with a flap wheel. Gave it a couple of coats of Fertan rust converter just for good measure.
                              Unfortunately the windscreen didn't survive, so a claim on the insurance will be needed. Does anyone know if they supply a new trim strip with a new screen?

Yes mate. I used Auto glass and it came with a new seal in one piece. I did same as u. £75 excess for coloured with sun visor. Same problem as yours. Some Muppet scratched all the metal by removing the screen but didn't remove the glue. Seems to be the same problem for replaced windows

Comment

Missed the best

Comment

Working...
                                X