No announcement yet.

My winter project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I feel for you mate, only us who have attempted this can understand how it feels once the screens out and the satisfaction turns to horror. But at least we know the job will be getting done right and even the screen fitter will have a nice easy job too[emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Just T4s

Comment

Another winter with ours and we would have been looking at repairing the surround. Cleaned with wire wheel on grinder to bare metal. Red oxide, then grey primer then a grey roof and pillars. I'd recommend any one with scabs around the screen to get it done or have a go , just don't leave it.

Comment

Originally posted by S49 View Post
        Another winter with ours and we would have been looking at repairing the surround. Cleaned with wire wheel on grinder to bare metal. Red oxide, then grey primer then a grey roof and pillars. I'd recommend any one with scabs around the screen to get it done or have a go , just don't leave it.
        100% agree with you there Si, even the newest T4's are now are approaching 16 years old, and with our climate too.
        Also the rubber screen trim is a great idea to protect the aperture, but again rubber deteriorates with age and I believe compounds the corrosion process as it becomes a moisture trap. Stone chips will advance into major rot quite quickly and you can't see what it's doing under the trim!

Comment

I thought about to mastic round with black acid free silicone instead the rubber seal wich traps water as u mentioned,
          ??

Comment

Originally posted by Hans View Post
            I thought about to mastic round with black acid free silicone instead the rubber seal wich traps water as u mentioned,
            ??

I have thought about that too Hans, but I can't help thinking it would be difficult to get a nice finish. My preferred option which I think I am going to do is 3M clear cavity wax lightly injected around the trim...weekly[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Comment

A lot of the trouble I think is when the screens are replaced the fitter just cant help scratching some paint off when removing the old screen. Ours now has layers and layers of paint on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonny888 View Post
                I have thought about that too Hans, but I can't help thinking it would be difficult to get a nice finish. My preferred option which I think I am going to do is 3M clear cavity wax lightly injected around the trim...weekly[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

To finish mastic of is easy. At least for me. Don't use your finger. Use a ph neutral washing up liquid and a wooden stick from a magnum ice cream. Put more mastic as u need and don't lock air in. Then spray washing up liquid mixed with 2 parts of warm water on it and scoop of the excess mastic off.
                I will do mine. But its only primed. Needs painting first

Comment

Originally posted by Hans View Post
                  To finish mastic of is easy. At least for me. Don't use your finger. Use a ph neutral washing up liquid and a wooden stick from a magnum ice cream. Put more mastic as u need and don't lock air in. Then spray washing up liquid mixed with 2 parts of warm water on it and scoop of the excess mastic off.
                  I will do mine. But its only primed. Needs painting first

Interested to see once you get it done mate[emoji106]

Comment

Originally posted by S49 View Post
                    It’s on my 2019 too do list

Comment

Working...
                    X