Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    S49's Avatar Privileged
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,111 Times in 1,845 Posts
    Our doors are a bit like that. But being the hoarder I am we have two spare pairs. Toying with fitting the grey ones on to match the roof and bonnet, or will that be too much?

S49's Avatar Privileged
    Thanks
    Did you get them out intact? As we have dark glass in ours so i'd like to swap into the grey pair and I wont want to loose the Just T4's posting stickers.

Jonny888's Avatar Now you're learning (Copper)
    Thanks
    Next I have removed the windscreen, and I'm glad I did with the amount of surface corrosion I found. I had wanted to remove it because of a few stone chips at top, and also because it didn't look like it fitted right. The seal round my caravelle screen is a snug fit all the way round, but this one had a gap all round about 5mm. After removal I have found the cause of the gap...a fitter must have replaced the screen at some point, but instead of removing the old sealant first there is evidence of two seperate layers of sealant and in some areas in is over 10mm thick!
    This job is a nightmare, over 3 hours to remove all the sealant fully and then to sand it all back with a flap wheel. Gave it a couple of coats of Fertan rust converter just for good measure.
    Unfortunately the windscreen didn't survive, so a claim on the insurance will be needed. Does anyone know if they supply a new trim strip with a new screen?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Just T4s

S49's Avatar Privileged
    Thanks
    When I did mine in the spring i bought a windscreen surround off fleabay,. It was a complete one with no join. Anyway I bust the screen so when they came and fitted the new one he used the one I had but they kept it on a roll. Glad I got one as I have seen so many where the joint has shrunk and left a gap in the seal. If I hadn't broke the screen I had the bonding "in stock" to refit myself. They fitted ours for 120 all in.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to S49 For This Useful Post:

Jonny888 (Yesterday)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by S49 View Post
    Did you get them out intact? As we have dark glass in ours so i'd like to swap into the grey pair and I wont want to loose the Just T4's posting stickers.
    Yeah Si, came out no problem. They must go due to condensation as it's only the lower edge corroded. The rest of the surround is mint.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by S49 View Post
    When I did mine in the spring i bought a windscreen surround off fleabay,. It was a complete one with no join. Anyway I bust the screen so when they came and fitted the new one he used the one I had but they kept it on a roll. Glad I got one as I have seen so many where the joint has shrunk and left a gap in the seal. If I hadn't broke the screen I had the bonding "in stock" to refit myself. They fitted ours for 120 all in.
    It was funny because once I had the correct tool the removal went great until the last pillar and the inevitable crack, no warning. What I didn't know was each pillar has two raised pressings to aid correct fitting, and I had obviously caught one and this put pressure on the glass. At least an excuse for a brand new windscreen now
    Good tip about the trim seal, I'm going to buy a complete one too,

S49's Avatar Privileged
    Thanks
    Yes it was on the little raised lump that I broke ours.

S49's Avatar Privileged
    Thanks
    The screen's got to come out of the crash repair project as its already bust but there's scabs to do on the aperture.