My winter project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
    I lived above carnoisseur in Leeds (Dewsbury Rd) for a year in the early 90s, literally everyone who came into the shop left with a set of three spoke TSWs (this was pre-venom era)
    Remember them well, very first car that i saw with 17" wheels was a mk3 cavalier gsi dark blue with custard yellow Smith's 3 spokes. Funny looking back now, but I suppose clothes from a given era are similarly remembered.
    Yes, TSW Venoms were another wheel that everyone had at a certain time, never saw a set that hadn't had the spokes trashed. Any wheel where the spokes stuck out 2" past the rim were always asking for trouble.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Just T4s

Comment

Bit more deconstruction today. This time driver side front at h and sill. Baffled how the outer sill could be so badly corroded yet all the inner structure is perfect!
      Digging a bit deeper to remove all the rot has meant taking a piece out of the step, this is where the plastic step panel clips to. Inner wheel arch is as bad as the passenger side but in different areas.
      Looking into the vans past I noticed it was first used in the north east, this is usually the cause of accelerated corrosion in my experience. Cooler damp climate than the South and lots of road gritting in the winters.
      But were dealing with it piece by piece[emoji106]
      One area I am a bit dubious about is the base of the B pillar, after cutting the rust out it has left a gap of about 80mm between the top of the new step panel and the pillar. Some creative fabrication will be needed here, and even the profile of the new step is wrong at the rear edge, may end up chopping it up a little🤤

Comment

You're doing a cracking job there mate! [emoji106]

Sent from my vernee_M5 using Tapatalk

Comment

That's going great guns mate.

Comment

Every time i see the pictures i wonder what's hiding under my bubbles. I start to worry........

Sent from my SM-T810 using Just T4s

Comment

Originally posted by Hans View Post
              Every time i see the pictures i wonder what's hiding under my bubbles. I start to worry........

Sent from my SM-T810 using Just T4s
              Glad I ainā€™t the only one [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

Comment

Nice work

Comment

Well a little more rust chasing tonight, this time the rear end. Some areas worse than expected, the off side rear bumper mount panel has almost completely rotted away. Rear chassis is mint so that's better than expected [emoji106][emoji106]
                  Won't be long before we crank the welder up and get cracking.
                  Also need to decide if I'm going to repair the corroded area on the rear bumper support or find a good one.
                  Overall I think this van has been rescued just in time, probably another MOT would have seen it at the scrap yard.[emoji1]

Comment

Following with great interest they are always worth saving. The back bit under the bumper does look familiar Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0843.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	266084

Comment

Originally posted by S49 View Post
                      Following with great interest they are always worth saving. The back bit under the bumper does look familiar [ATTACH=CONFIG]10938[/ATTACH]
                      Looking like we have a pair of twins [emoji23]

Comment

Great thread this. Thanks. Filling the void in my life left by project binky.
                        Me cago en la madre que te pariĆ³!

Comment

Glad you're enjoying it mate[emoji106]
                          Managed a couple of hours this afternoon while the missus was out with the kids at a birthday party. Just a little bit done...but every little helps. Decided just to tackle removing the ply floor just in case any horrors lay beneath. Got quite a shock once I had taken it out, is it normal to find this much crap underneath?
                          Anyway after much scrubbing and sweeping I can confirm all is good. Makes a nice change, and gave me some time left so quickly cut the sealant out for the offside window and then cut the panel out.
                          Some advice needed by one of you window fitters, do the inner and outer panels need flattened and bonded together?

Comment

I believe they do, yes. Although I have never done one.
                            Me cago en la madre que te pariĆ³!

Comment

I think you tap the outter panel gently to meet the inner? Some bond the two some spot weld.

Comment

Originally posted by S49 View Post
                                I think you tap the outter panel gently to meet the inner? Some bond the two some spot weld.
                                Typical...just sold my spot welder on EBay couple of months ago as I had only used it twice in 5 years[emoji33]
                                Won't be today though, 12 hour shift awaiting 10.30am-10.30pm. Perfect Sunday I think not.

Comment

Working...
                                X