Project Multi Sunroof

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dan View Post
    Would love to know what the internal dimensions are and the total flat surface is as been thinking about doing this on my Doka. Just not sure if it would fit in length.

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
    Reckon it would be a squeeze - hole cut is 1225x765mm IIRC, though if you look about you could get one from say an MGB GT as they’re 30”x30”? Not sure about Doka roof profile ie ridges, but Paris Beetles could make one to fit definitely.

Comment

Originally posted by Mickandsej View Post
      Reckon it would be a squeeze - hole cut is 1225x765mm IIRC, though if you look about you could get one from say an MGB GT as they’re 30”x30”? Not sure about Doka roof profile ie ridges, but Paris Beetles could make one to fit definitely.

Yeah I did ask before and they want silly money, 1200mm might fit as I can sleep in the cab no problem.

Comment

I’ll get you better dimensions ASAP Dan. This roof does have a very slight curve front to back but I have dialled that out during the refurb work using careful leverage and wooden blocks. It’s clamped down nicely onto my roof and adjusted in on the side cables. Have you considered a MINI panoramic? Flat as a pancake they are and about the same size.

Comment

Started work on the headlining. Going to use the rear 800mm of the Caravelle liner and blend in a row of T5 blowers and lights.
          T5 roof is about 20mm deeper than T4 so plenty of tweaking ahead. Should end up with three downward T5 vents, courtesy lights and integral reading lights for bedtime, also looks like I can add 3 T4 vents to face forwards in the cabin.
          Off out for squirty foam and gaffer tape...

Sunroof seems watertight still, a couple of drips from the steel patches so all going to plan with a few snags to sort out.

Comment

Plus

How did we ever manage before they invented the multi tool??!!!! Never had a gadget so damn useful. Mines a Milwaukee 12v [emoji106]

Comment

Plus

How did we ever manage before they invented the multi tool??!!!! Never had a gadget so damn useful. Mines a Milwaukee 12v [emoji106]

The multi tool is handy to get into those difficult places and to get nice square corners .

Comment

Project Multi Sunroof

I’ve had a tough time this week trying to iron out the problems this project is throwing up. To be honest there’s nothing occurring that couldn’t be dealt with if I had more time and space, I’m basically working at the side of the road and every task seems to entail dragging out all the kit, put it away, road test and report.
                Yesterday I took it for a cross town run in heavy rain and several leaks occurred. Not from the sunroof but from the patches although there was some ingress near the motor.
                I’m starting to regret selling off the glass sunroofs but no turning back on that one and can’t do that now due to the big hole.
                So yesterday I phoned Stuart in Dudley cap in hand to discuss the side lifter pop top. His roof despite being the cheapest available seems universally recommended. I have done nothing so far that prevents him fitting one except for the front sunroof, luckily I kept the cut from that so all I need to do is rivet that in so he can fix the gas ram to it.
                I know I’ve been trying to build a day van but it’s still needed for camping at least 4-5 times a year and the head height, overnight storage and I’m guilty of saying the cool factor of a pop top appeals greatly.
                Overnight I’ve mulled over a high top too as ditto all the above, but I can’t find one I like the look of - I don’t want a stepped roofline.
                I’ve given everything my best shot so far but right back when I bought the Velle I intended to pop top it but got hooked on the minibus aspect of it.
                It’s s keeper, it’s an experience, it’s time I let the professionals do the major work!!
                If anyone has opinions or pics on any of the roofs out there or even any for sale please let me know!

Comment

I don't profess to understand what the problems are, neither how your feeling about them, but what I'm sure we've all seen over the last few weeks is that your quite capable of doing a damn good job of resolving them and doing a great job in doing so. Keep the faith and sort it!

Comment

I’ll get you better dimensions ASAP Dan. This roof does have a very slight curve front to back but I have dialled that out during the refurb work using careful leverage and wooden blocks. It’s clamped down nicely onto my roof and adjusted in on the side cables. Have you considered a MINI panoramic? Flat as a pancake they are and about the same size.

No I haven’t really looked in to things in detail yet, it’s going up Scotland to have a load of custom work done to it next year so was considering all options, I’ll have a look at one and see what they like [emoji1360]

Comment

Sorry to say I’ve now pulled off this project and on the plus side I’m excited to have booked in for a Westdubs on 15th January. They have a deal on so I ordered a candy white roof with pillar box red scenic canvas. Had a good chat with Chris and we’ve ironed out the issues with my work so far and hopefully may even be able to have my preferred grey velour lining on the actual roof. I’ve not gone for a bed as we’ve no need for one and I didn’t want to lose the headroom.
                      Plagiarism is alive and well here, I’ve copied someone else’s van for this colour scheme:

Thanks for all your interest and support, the Open Air roof will be removed shortly and put up for sale. I may continue the thread detailing my interior fit out as I’m doing that myself.
                      Happy Christmas to all you Dubbers!

Comment

Sorry to say I’ve now pulled off this project and on the plus side I’m excited to have booked in for a Westdubs on 15th January. They have a deal on so I ordered a candy white roof with pillar box red scenic canvas. Had a good chat with Chris and we’ve ironed out the issues with my work so far and hopefully may even be able to have my preferred grey velour lining on the actual roof. I’ve not gone for a bed as we’ve no need for one and I didn’t want to lose the headroom.
                        Plagiarism is alive and well here, I’ve copied someone else’s van for this colour scheme:

Thanks for all your interest and support, the Open Air roof will be removed shortly and put up for sale. I may continue the thread detailing my interior fit out as I’m doing that myself.
                        Happy Christmas to all you Dubbers!

For a moment then I thought you had turned and bought a t6

Sent from my SM-G960F using Just T4s

Comment

Originally posted by Greeny gtc View Post
                          For a moment then I thought you had turned and bought a t6

Sent from my SM-G960F using Just T4s
                          .... its not quite shape shifting more shit shaping.

Comment

I’m T4ever!! Tried the rest now running the best

Comment

Sorry to hear the project didn't go to plan. If you don't try you never know.

Comment

Just put it down to experience

Sent from my vernee_M5 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X