No announcement yet.

Project Multi Sunroof

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Makes quite a difference from the inside. I may have to add some longitudinal bars as there’s still a little flex. I’ve reset the worm drive now, just got the side cable to reattach. Then work out which way the webbing fits as I forgot to take a pic when removing the old skin...
    Plus have worked out a way to fit sectional pieces for the headlining and add additional courtesy lights. The van is still in use 7-up as her Yoga bus and the girls say it’s too dark inside!

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

Comment

Nice day today, bit cold for filler work but thought I’d take her out for a spin...

Comment

Breezy. Like it, a lot.
        Me cago en la madre que te parió!

Comment

Looks great mate, fair play for having the nerve to cut the roof up [emoji106]

Sell my T4 !!! I'd rather stick wasps up my butt.

Comment

Originally posted by Thebigredone View Post
            Looks great mate, fair play for having the nerve to cut the roof up [emoji106]

Sell my T4 !!! I'd rather stick wasps up my butt.
            Seconded. What's it like like to drive with the roof open? Looks good. [emoji106]

Comment

I got up to about 60mph and there was no buffeting at all. May be because I had the front one open too, but then it will always be both open together! Surprising creak free too. It’s only the side cable that’s a leak risk at the moment and I’ll have that sorted in a day or two. It’s still only fixed in temporarily as I’ve got the filling and vinyl to do up top. I’m not convinced the front is wind/waterproof without the factory deflector, but that will really ruin the low lines so I’ve sourced a cheap off the roll thin lip spoiler. Loads of options for fitting P-seals if I have to but I’ll test and try and be minimal with the sealing.

Comment

Going to try and mould this stuff to cover the front edge.

Comment

Reckon that will work but the adhesive strips will probably be a little weak. Stick it down with CT1, run a bead between the two strips.
                  Me cago en la madre que te parió!

Comment

Love it, even after sunroofs in mine. Thinking land tilt and slide in the front and rear, struggled to get anyone to fit tho and not brave enough to do myself

Comment

Project Multi Sunroof

I was even considering a Mini panoramic sunroof - that would be the same sort of prep work, just requires the plumbing of drain tubes. You can pick up a roof cut for as low as £100 all in.
                      Despite the known flaws with the Open Air roof mechanically its very very simple: just an extruded frame containing a cog driven cable system so easily replaced in pieces, a simple enough roof with good parts availability, and of course its a genuine VW part. I’m kind of happy with the way the job is panning out, just a pity I’ve chosen the wrong time of year to do it!
                      Thanks for your interest guys I’ll update as I go along.

Comment

Well it’s had a good static rain test and guess what, it leaks. I’m not over worried as it’s still only temp sealed in so will monitor and deal with it once it’s finally secured. Just a few drips on the screws so probably sleeping under the edge of the frame. No puddles just drops, but enough to do long term damage to lining. Surprisingly the loose side is no worse than the tight one. At least the cover is watertight, should be, it cost enough! I bought the original roof for just £20 complete so it’s on target to be quite a cheap project.

Comment

Had a good weather day so cracked on. Sealed the frame in, then started to fix the cable and it’s being a pain. Header and footer rails just rusty enough to not work. Going to have to fabricate a fix...

Comment

Good downpour last night and all is dry!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mickandsej View Post
                              Good downpour last night and all is dry!!

Well done mate , hats off to you for having the balls to do it - I wouldn’t be brave enuff . Looks cool though.

Comment

Would love to know what the internal dimensions are and the total flat surface is as been thinking about doing this on my Doka. Just not sure if it would fit in length.

Comment

Working...
                                X