Van Anon.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Van Anon.

Well, after a painful but expected MOT bill, our van is finally at home, legal and on the road!

Had a lovely (if incredibly hot) drive down to Morewhenstow yesterday to give it a good run and she performed admirably.

And so, here begins the journey from panel Van to day van!

I'll try and update this as I go and get bits done. It'll be a long process as both me and the other half work full time and don't have many free weekends...

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Just T4s
    2012-2014: Ex-AA 2.5TDi (102)
    2018-Present: 2.5TDi (88) LWB Panel

Little bit of backstory to the van that we know of...

Born in Bury St Edmunds on the 22nd of June.
    Spent it's early working life in Edinburgh, then retired to SE London after she hit 100k in 2002.
    Since retirement, has done 70k (ish) of general pottering around - no evidence to say she's been abroad yet, but that will change with us!
    Previous owners were relocating to central london for work, and had planned on doing her up into a day van / camper and made a start. But since then realised that where they were headed was into congestion zone, and it was going to cost them in the region of £100 per day to keep her on the drive, so abandoned the idea and sold her to us (via a middle man, Lovely guy down in Plymouth - I believe another van on here has come from him too!).

And so we begin stage 1. Checking insulation and floor for any nasties! - rust, untreated holes... etc
    Last edited by bassforce86; 3 July 2018, 07:25 AM.

Comment

Enjoy the journey

Comment

So, after a quick nose in the back to check the floor and a quick nose under the hood to check wiring (I'm a software engineer as a trade now, but was a music studio engineer, and have a thing about crappy electrics!) I was blown away. Floor is spotless! And the engine bar is clean as a whistle. Either, it's had some engine rebuild work done (didn't look like it) or its never had a leak! Pleasent surprises all round!

Comment

And then... Eurgh. Not the worst I've seen. But unpleasant non the less.

Comment

You should see under my bonnet!

Comment

If you don't like crappy electrics you'll get on with Reg. Don't put a window in the tailgate, I've heard they are worth more solid. Looks a great starting point.

Comment

Looks a solid van ,I’m looking forward to the updates .

Comment

Done the same insulation with mine.Makes a world of difference.Good luck with the build.

Comment

Thank guys, I'll try and keep it up to date as we go along!

Unfortunately came across a bit of a snag - nothing major, thankfully, but an annoying problem non-the-less!
                    One of the wheel bolts in the front has been put in at an angle, and has since snapped off in the hub!

So, after today investigations I have 2 top priorities to get done asap.

1, Remove the snapped wheel bolt from the front hub, - hopefully just get it re-threaded and a new bolt put in - but possibly replace the whole hub.. we'll see...
                    2, sort out the squeaky steering column! - This i highly suspect is due to a worn / incorrect bush on the steering column, but when I have a free evening to take it apart, the truth will become apparent I've no doubt!

Suggestions, Hints, gotcha's any advise is always very welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by bassforce86 View Post
                      Thank guys, I'll try and keep it up to date as we go along!

Unfortunately came across a bit of a snag - nothing major, thankfully, but an annoying problem non-the-less!
                      One of the wheel bolts in the front has been put in at an angle, and has since snapped off in the hub!

So, after today investigations I have 2 top priorities to get done asap.

1, Remove the snapped wheel bolt from the front hub, - hopefully just get it re-threaded and a new bolt put in - but possibly replace the whole hub.. we'll see...
                      2, sort out the squeaky steering column! - This i highly suspect is due to a worn / incorrect bush on the steering column, but when I have a free evening to take it apart, the truth will become apparent I've no doubt!

Suggestions, Hints, gotcha's any advise is always very welcome!
                      Coming on great guns! I did loads to mine mate a lot of which was peace of mind. Look forward to seeing it coming along

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

Comment

Update 1

So, the first evening spent out in the van was a success!

First point is now repaired! Goodbye squeaky steering wheel (temporarily anyway).
                        Turned out to be a really simple problem, the centre screw for the column housing was missing and it's hole smashed to bits! (sewer not intended, but duly noted).

This basically meant that the faux leather of the steering wheel and the pastic housing were constantly rubbing together - so as you can imagine - somewhat akin to fingernails on a chalkboard with every slight turn of the wheel!

So, with the donation of our neighbours verniers, we set about making a tiny plastic collar for the housing, and goodbye annoying squeak!

Whilst I was busy looking at the steering wheel problem, Nat was beavering away measuring the back end to we can begin to plan layouts as we plan to make our own interior!
                        So out came the pencil, paper and tape measure and she got to work.

After an evenings work were now planning layouts and figuring out next stages. Electrics (we want campsite hookup as well as leisure battery so looking into split charge relays and how they fit in and work and where to store it before we put the floor in properly (it's not screwed down yet). Seating plans, cupboards & general storage, lighting... The list is long but exciting!!

Later in the week I'm going to get down to B&Q (or similar) to source some thicker plastic to make the steering collar, because it's currently working, but very thin, so is going to need something more substantial to last
                        Last edited by bassforce86; 2 July 2018, 08:00 PM.

Comment

Good start to a promising build thread. Watching with much interest. Thanks.
                          Me cago en la madre que te parió!

Comment

Yes, keep us all updated.

Comment

Repair the top and bottom column casings. Find some bottle caps / injector caps for the lower casing then bond them on place after making a pilot hole. Then a couple of pan head self tappers left and right and an M4 centre should sort it.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Just T4s

Comment

Working...
                              X