The Yellew Peril!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Yellew Peril!!

Thought it was about time to put all my random build bits into one thread.

We bought the van at the end of August last year, gutted it and did some remedial works then left it with Pete at transporter craft to line, and promptly ( bought it quite promptly too, if I’d known then what I know now..) went on holiday for two weeks.

Until May this year it hasn’t really been used for camping but it has been used as a day van and got us out and about a lot more. Its still got a long way to go but at the moment interior wise it fits the bill and is truly a multi purpose van. This forum has been great in regards to the help and advice I’ve received and has provided a lot of laughs ( less now due to the liberals... joke..[emoji102]) and still does. We’ve joined a local Vw group too that is also great and puts on quite a bit for kids.

First days.

Bought a new knob!

Didn’t have much time from purchase to holiday, perhaps a day or two so gutting it was going to be rush job. Then I discovered the rust!!

Ground it out, treated it went away and came back to a lovely rear.

Opened this, closed it. Has stayed that way.

Next we needed a bed. Mrs didn’t want to go full camper and wanted to keep the rear seats and the boy behind us! I’d toyed with making a pull out bed, but pushed for space to make one and with the evenings being short on light I opted to go to Infinity customs in Bristol who made this fold out bed. Mrs loves it as she gets an almost king size to herself in the van. I sleep in the awning.

We had planned to get the seats upholstered in the distant future as it’s quite expensive. Ours were in good nick visually but the foam provided no support on the drivers side and my back hurt every time I drove it. Luckily Scott at Stitch my ride was moving from his base near Bournemouth to Instow and needed a bit of space. Some seats came up for a steal on an exchange basis and we jumped at them. Met him in Barnstaple and we changed the seats over. Passenger was simple, drivers side was an absolute pig as we couldn’t get the nuts off. Decided to remove the whole base but that had the leisure battery in and it wasn’t budging. After nearly an 1hr and a half we had it off and new one fitted minus the battery as that bugger could wait until another day!!

Having a smart repair background I couldn’t live with the holes left by the AA. Ground them out a bit to give a bevelled edge for the plastic filler, sanded back, primed and coated with Rustoleum stone effect. Gloss laquer to finish.

Mrs T promised I could have alloys if I fitted a swivel base. Still waiting on those..

bus was staring to look better. Door cards next. Cleaned with degreaser as were minging, Matt black and carbon wrapped. Carbon was hard to apply to the curves but looked good. Lasted about a week as shrunk back in the minus 10 weather. Bummer!!! Had a meet so needed a quick fix. AA yellowed the handles and they looked ok.

Nearly up to date!! This is taking ages while watching the Grand Prix!!

The arches were a bit dog eared when I bought the van but the winter had got under the paint work and they were really starting to flake and detract from the natural beauty of the yellow monster!!

Quite pleased with how they turned out. Plenty more bits around the van to do now plus the stone chips and the manky roof. The wheels will take a bit of patience and a box of swear words!!

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
    Slowly slowly catchy monkey!

Another new knob!

Comment

Now you have a build thread you need to do more work.

Wait untill you go looking for your thread and it's on the second page....then the guilt kicks in.
      Me cago en la madre que te parió!

Comment

Originally posted by arfur fox-acre View Post
        Now you have a build thread you need to do more work.

Wait untill you go looking for your thread and it's on the second page....then the guilt kicks in.
        This was 40 pages worth condensed..

Comment

Thanks Tommo , that was a good read , I like the way everybody’s van evolves and the individual touches that we all carry out over time , your doing a grand job , what flooring did you use ?

A nice set of alloy wheels would finish it off .
          Last edited by Fruitbat; 10 June 2018, 08:02 PM.

Comment

Must of missed the bed set up before mate. That would work a treat in ours and I could retain the single caravelle seat table we have on the left just behind the slider, top job.

Comment

Like how she has progressed! Love the dash shame about the wheels!!! Get the lady wife to let you get the alloys!!!!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Just T4s

Comment

Originally posted by Fruitbat View Post
                Thanks Tommo , that was a good read , I like the way everybody’s van evolves and the individual touches that we all carry out over time , your doing a grand job , what flooring did you use ?

A nice set of alloy wheels would finish it off .
                Thanks mate. It’s Altro walkway in Coal.

Comment

Originally posted by S49 View Post
                  Must of missed the bed set up before mate. That would work a treat in ours and I could retain the single caravelle seat table we have on the left just behind the slider, top job.
                  See, your threads five minutes old and it's already helping people out. Simon has a cheap yet effective and strong bed solution for his van. Me, all this yellow gave me a custard craving.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	20180610_211115_resized.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	264089

Win win.mmmmmm

Comment

Alloys on back burner due to saving for holiday. Going to refurb the steels in gloss black with a thin yellow outer ring and pos do the new caddy caps in yellow too. Bus a bit high for 15s but lowering might cause issues around our roads here.

Comment

See, your threads five minutes old and it's already helping people out. Simon has a cheap yet effective and strong bed solution for his van. Me, all this yellow gave me a custard craving.
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]9450[/ATTACH]

Win win.mmmmmm
                      Take it to the sewe.......I mean pheasant chips and gravy.

Comment

Originally posted by tommo1366 View Post
                        Alloys on back burner due to saving for holiday. Going to refurb the steels in gloss black with a thin yellow outer ring and pos do the new caddy caps in yellow too. Bus a bit high for 15s but lowering might cause issues around our roads here.

Yea yea holiday shmoliday

Comment

Originally posted by tommo1366 View Post

Drop it 50mm Tommo Devon cant be any worse than Herefordshire.

Comment

Originally posted by Greeny gtc View Post
                            Yea yea holiday shmoliday

Where you going on holiday? You've only just got back. Bet it's somewhere that has dolphins.

Comment

Where you going on holiday? You've only just got back. Bet it's somewhere that has dolphins.
                              Wherever I’m told..

Toss up between Sardinia and Montenegro at the moment.

Comment

Working...
                              X