Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

T4 : Battle Across Time (2010 to present)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
    Typical. Weather is looking poor although dry at the moment. So next stages.... read tins!

Bilt Hamber Electrox requires 2 coats the second applied between 2 and 3 hours but then must be left to cure for 96 hours before applying any surface coats and top coats so Thursday. According to the tin (haven't read the tech spec) it can be left exposed as a standalone finish.

So apply today, primer & paint Thursday!
    U want a gazebo mate. Send some more pics

Sent from my SM-G930F using Just T4s

Comment

• Originally posted by Hans View Post
      U want a gazebo mate. Send some more pics

Sent from my SM-G930F using Just T4s
      Preparation and planning Andreas. The drive is too narrow for mine & my portable garage got nicked or permanently borrowed by someone lent it in good faith.
      Changed the knotted wheel and back on it to clean up a little more and the exposed surfaces left from yestrrday. Hammered the oem cill jacking point straight.

I know I'm blabbing on a bit but this is almost my first experience at tackling rust and paintwork on the crappy van on the drive.
      Whats interesting is the rust pitting the metal sheet and how without treatment you're on a hiding to nothing. Keep on top of it is the moral of this diatribe!
      Last edited by Activ8; 4 August 2019, 12:21 PM.

Comment

• I'm surprisingly nervous, anxious & tired brought on by holding my breath while working on the van with an angle grinder..... don't know why? Masked up like a 3 year old, using Amazon Prime packing paper rolled and recycled for paint jobs and found a couple of old elasticated mattress covers to speed up the 'blanket coverage' [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]....The single slipped over the sliding door perfectly. Another wipe over with a clean.cloth.

Two minutes of shaking the Electrox then a measured 25cm test spray to get a feel and I'm off. It flows lovely out the can and covers just as well, you can see the mist looking for exposed metal to smoother. Rather than spot paint each area I decided and was guided to spray the mirrored 'L' shape to get an even coat.It went on great.

Time for a coffee and wait the two hours 1 st coat cure time.
        Last edited by Activ8; 4 August 2019, 02:40 PM.

Comment

• Mines got various BH primer areas now...been on few weeks. No signs of any rust coming through. It seems to be good stuff.

Comment

• Looks so much better already

Comment

• The second coat needs to be applied after 2 hours and within 3 hours of the first or the can advises to wait 96 hours before the spraying of the 2nd application.

So bare that in mind if you choose this metal treatment. To contrast and compare this with Hammerites Kurust, the second coat can be applied within 1 hour and a top coat applied after 3 hours according to the bottle. I could do a test and use Kurust on the drivers side? Might try it on the arches perhaps?

However, doing "something" is better than doing zip! Get it in the diary and make it a regular part of the maintenance routines!
              Last edited by Activ8; 4 August 2019, 02:58 PM.

Comment

• Compared to other vans of a similar mileage (160k) mine is not looking to bad. It makes me wonder whether having those front mudflaps fitted has spared the cills?

Comment

• I think mudflaps are rust traps.......................i'll get me coat.

Comment

• Here's a couple of pictures of the Electrox after 2 hours cure time and before I applied the second spray coat.

Comment

• Second and final coat, goto wait 96 hours before the next stages.

Comment

• Bloody hell that seems like a stupidly long time to wait I wonder y
                        Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
                        Second and final coat, goto wait 96 hours before the next stages.
                        Sent from my JSN-L21 using Just T4s

Comment

• Started on the fuel filler flap. Sanded it back with various grades of paper, a wipe over and stuck a coat of primer to see how land looked....

Needs a bit of work to smooth out the chips., gouges and previous bodge.

Comment

• Originally posted by damont4 View Post
                            Bloody hell that seems like a stupidly long time to wait I wonder y

Sent from my JSN-L21 using Just T4s
                            Thanks for the visuals and info, I’ll be doing this before the rust worm gets any worse on ours. I’ll be using the same product and rattle cans as well so really good to be able to follow [emoji1317]🤙🏽

T4ism is not a Dis-easeJust T4s

Comment

• As a footnote what area does a can of BH cover?

Comment

• Originally posted by AndyLeach View Post
                                As a footnote what area does a can of BH cover?

My 400ml can now weighs 330g after applying it to the passenger side. Sorry no start weight to gauge. So I'm hoping both sides, same area, two coats with one tin. In hindsight, because it sprays so well I'd just cover the exposed metal and save a load of wasted product but I'm reasonably happy and learned a few lessons.

I need a system as a newbie to preppng and painting. A check & process list and products ready to go almost laid out to be better time efficient. I really needed a masking plan too, on the fly is shit and slow.

Anyway before the rain kicked in again I've left it like this. Advice welcomed - should it be covered for 'x' number of hours. Nothing on the tin but I doubt they're expecting some dumb ass to be applying it in the open! [emoji23]

Tin worm delayed for now!

Comment

Working...
                                X