Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

T4 : Battle Across Time (2010 to present)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MOT Today on my 2001 AJT - it FAILED on Emissions!
    It wasn't helped by the fact that the inspector and assessor had turned up at 8AM and were there all day!

Anyway not one to miss an opportunity I had a chat with the offending official.
    Last year my van would of been tested to 2.50m-1 recorded emissions this year its 0.80m-1 . [emoji44]
    WTF,.... even the inspector was smirking when he oozed that info out!
    He followed the muffled laughter with a comment along the lines of "that it probably would of never of registered that, even as a new vehicle!!"
    As I gritted my teeth and smiled charmingly I asked about the "rules" and he advised me to look here...
    https://www.gov.uk/government/public...mission-limits

He then proceeded to show me the "plate value" showing the manufacturers emissions limit located on the bonnet slam panel.
    Heres a T4 example from a spare plate... look into the bottom right hand corner on this example it shows 1.1m-1. This is the emissions plate value.

Cheekily I enquired what happens if that emissions plate isn't there to show the tester an emissions figure,.... peering over the top of his spectacles he then advised me of the default values....

Vehicle first used , Type , Value

1. First used before July 2008 , Non-turbo , 2.5m-1
    1. First used before July 2008 , Turbo , 3.0m-1
    2. First used on or after 1 July 2008 , All diesels , 1.5m-1
    3. First used on or after 1 January 2014 , All diesels , 0.7m-1

Hmmm I thought,..... what on Earth am I to do?

The mean absorption coeeficient after correction for my van was 1.2m-1 , with the low of 0.91m-1 and the highest reading of 2.08m-1 at 2200rpm.
    At 3.0m-1 it would be a walk in the park.....

Hope this helps others with passing their emissions tests.
    Last edited by Activ8; 5 November 2018, 07:18 PM.

Comment

• So I might be thick ... how you gonna pass ??

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

Comment

• If the sticker isn't there or you use your nicely painted colour coded slam panel (the one with no stickers) the tester will use the default values ie 3.0m-1 emissions level for a pre-2008 turbo'd van.

Last edited by Activ8; 5 November 2018, 09:24 PM.

Comment

• Judicious bit of overspray then.....[emoji6]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

• Ah cool ... 🤙 sorry having a slow day 🤪

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

Comment

• If you read the .gov.uk info - smoke is a major fail too.... its the latest update and must clarify the new emission rules.... I know mine is rollin coal on tick-over until the fuel gets to temp, so I may need to remap the first 1200rpm as well...

Comment

• Yes I noticed that. Fortunately mine is clear[emoji15]

Comment

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
                  If you read the .gov.uk info - smoke is a major fail too.... its the latest update and must clarify the new emission rules.... I know mine is rollin coal on tick-over until the fuel gets to temp, so I may need to remap the first 1200rpm as well...
                  Vw do a good cheat, not letting it rev above 1500rpm when stationary. Volvo truck and bus have the same cheat and have done since the 90s......

Comment

• Originally posted by rjhoy02 View Post
                    Vw do a good cheat, not letting it rev above 1500rpm when stationary. Volvo truck and bus have the same cheat and have done since the 90s......

Really. Mine does.... tester revved it to 2200rpm during the emissions test.... [emoji848]

Comment

• Our golf has the emissions 'scandal' software on it still. Not fixing what ain't broke.

Sent from my vernee_M5 using Tapatalk

Comment

• We had a couple of b10l s that revved to max governed speed but that was only if they'd had their ecu swapped

Sent from my vernee_M5 using Tapatalk

Comment

Fitted the bonnet strut. Which works a treat but it's taken a few lifts to get used to it as I kept shocking myself when it rises automatically.... [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]. Only criticism I have is that the headlight bracket sits skew on top of the top headlight plate as there's a pressed upturned edge it sits on. I stuck 3x large 1mm washers underneath to square it up temporarily but will find something better in due course. I also removed the rubber grommet from the stay and fitted another large washer backing plate to make it solid. Check your bonnet alignment after fitting the top plate. Great for the money.

My kit turned up a while ago, not even looked at it - but from an aesthetic point of view, that bracket is the wrong way round and the strut is mounted the wrong side of the bracket. Poor design if that's the way it should be.

Comment

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
                            My kit turned up a while ago, not even looked at it - but from an aesthetic point of view, that bracket is the wrong way round and the strut is mounted the wrong side of the bracket. Poor design if that's the way it should be.
                            Yep. The lower bracket only fits that way. Fitting it the other side, the bracket fouls the strut when closing the bonnet. A bracket redesign placing the strut in front of the old stay hole would be nice and straight.

Last edited by Activ8; 6 November 2018, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Yep. The lower bracket only fits that way. Fitting it the other side, the bracket fouls the strut when closing the bonnet. A bracket redesign placing the strut in front of the old stay hole would be nice and straight.
                              I was looking at putting the ball in the hole meant for the washer pipe clip and not using the bracket.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Just T4s

Comment

• Originally posted by Greeny gtc View Post
                                I was looking at putting the ball in the hole meant for the washer pipe clip and not using the bracket.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Just T4s
                                For the money it's worth what's provided and works just fine. I'll call in at SGS and have a chat about different fixings for the strut then change it when it needs replacing. Pulled two thinner struts (same length etc. from a scrapped Saxo boot that'll work aswell.

Comment

Working...
                                X