Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

T4 : Battle Across Time (2010 to present)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
    I appreciate all the feedback and inputs BUT you have to ask is it all worth the outlay? Welder £500, Mask £75, Gloves £30, Consumables £60, Welding Tools £50 .... thats some shopping list for making the odd exhaust as without the "projects" I simply wouldn't generate the competency to tackle complicated manifolds ..... is there a budget system that I can start with perhaps and progress to the R-Tech Nirvana?
    In my opinion yes it is worth the outlay , once you have bought the welder that’s your biggest outlay , I’m tempted with getting an R-etc welder myself .

You can buy gloves a lot cheaper but still good quality £15-20 , I don’t normally wear gloves as I find them clumsy to weld with , but if I’m picking up a job I’ve just welded I’ll grab my gloves .

The only time I wear gloves is if I’m using a plasma cutter .

You can get a nice solar powered welding mask for around £35 , local motor factors ( Sealey helmet ) or a generic helmet from eBay , handy to have the grind facility on the helmet .

Once you have the welder you’ll be fabricating all sorts , I don’t use mine for months , but it’s there when I need it plus I begrudge paying a garage to weld something, a plate welded by a garage too Mot standard is , well below the standard I expect .

Comment

• Gloves? You'll soon toughen those hands up. My metal work teacher at school, Mr Cummins said hot metal was at it's dangerous when it had stopped glowing. This he told me after i'd picked my work up off the anvil and did a little dance trying to let go of it.And now 40 odd years later I still burn myself most weeks in the same manner. He'd say that boy don't listen.

Comment

• I just wear nitrile gloves to stop UV skin damage. Leather tig welding gloves are on the shopping list.

I regard making exhausts as a job for an exhaust guy, I'm lucky to have a good one fairly close. Definitely wouldn't give up the welder, so useful for brackets, mounts, plates and random bits and pieces. It opens up a lot of options.

Comment

• Picked this up online over the weekend.... rear bumper diffusor. Another project for the year ahead.

DO NOT DISTURB - I am disturbed enough already

Comment

• Received today from St Fruitbat .... an 18 mm drill bit with 16mm guide to rebore the four mounting holes in the steering knuckles for the larger 313mm brakes. Cheers pal.

Last edited by Activ8; 17 January 2019, 12:32 PM.

Comment

• Plus a set of these....

Comment

• What are the pike nuts for - you building a 70s chopper? - Marking out?

That drill bit looks pretty clever - never seen one before.

Comment

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
                  What are the pike nuts for - you building a 70s chopper? - Marking out?
                  Fruitbats selling them as dust caps and part of his T4 Shop for Machined Components.

Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
                  It was originally a 18mm/10mm guide but Kevs adapted it to 16mm for me.

Comment

• Handy idea that drill bit.

Comment

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post

All Bow to Fruitbat’s engineering genius

Comment

• Originally posted by Fruitbat View Post
                        All Bow to Fruitbat’s engineering genius
                        And your pikey nuts?

Comment

And your pikey nuts?

Now discontinued

Comment

• Originally posted by Fruitbat View Post
                            Now discontinued
                            W...H....A....T.... so they're now rare pikey nuts?

Comment

W...H....A....T.... so they're now rare pikey nuts?

Yep , like hens teeth

Comment

• That would be one scary looking hen! 🥴

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

Comment

Working...
                                X