Page 44 of 44 FirstFirst ... 34424344
    lister's Avatar Now you're learning (Copper)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Activ8 View Post
    Carriers will be different. I've found nothing of the same era build or later that matches the carrier. Even the part numbers being identical albeit for the vehicle model identifier are different. Even some of the stuff online x-referencing is bollocks. I've ordered 13 sets of VAG fronts and not a single carrier "fits". I think Regs' Merc brembo units might be a v cost effective way to go. I've picked up a few sets of 313mm but they're SO heavy. Got a few ideas using Tiguan fronts 312mm (halves the weight) but need to mock something up 1st. Waiting for a stub axle to arrive.
    If you are thinking of going the merc route. Merc ml brembos are dirt cheap. I picked a pair up for £30. The discs are 345mm with a 67mm centre bore. I have machined my mock up hub down by 1mm so the discs are a straight fit. Just need to get round to making up some brackets to mount the calipers. Only been doing them a year....
    Reason i chose the ml is they use a 25.4mm master cylinder same as the vr6 t4 so easy to upgrade.
    Last edited by lister; Yesterday at 09:39 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to lister For This Useful Post:

S49 (Yesterday)

Activ8's Avatar Privileged
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,317 Times in 1,168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lister View Post
    If you are thinking of going the merc route. Merc ml brembos are dirt cheap. I picked a pair up for £30. The discs are 345mm with a 67mm centre bore. I have machined my mock up hub down by 1mm so the discs are a straight fit. Just need to get round to making up some brackets to mount the calipers. Only been doing them a year....
    Reason i chose the ml is they use a 25.4mm master cylinder same as the vr6 t4 so easy to upgrade.
    Cheers.
    I've got the 25.4mm master cylinder (Im sure all 1999- 2.5tdi's have it) downside on the larger discs is fitting the right wheel to suit. Hans kindly sent me his vr6 pics with 19's fitted and they look right with 313mm discs and Regs' 345mm discs don't fit his 17" rim so it's a fine balance if you want to carry a spare.
    I looked at the ML calipers and they're a bargain by comparison but 345mm!!!
    The 300mm T4 / Sharan / Alhambra / Galaxy caliper is an ATE FN3 design but the same as the 312mm early Tiguan fronts. The Tiguan carrier is a no go but the Sharan 300mm carrier looks like it'll work with the larger 312mm Tiguan caliper. Both are v cheap units & Tiguan calipers are a third lighter plus a super easy fit. Like I say - got to wait for the stub axle to arrive and give them a go on the bench.