Longish lay off now black smoke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Up date.
    A thrashing seemed to help a week ago. Today after a week off it was nearly as bad. A EGR blanking plate had arrived and was fitted. Still roughish but after 20 miles or so it seems to have cleared. Can't make it smoke black any way.
    The blanking plate. Millions of posts online, all with pics. However they all used Photobucket which is dead so I guessed. Its been fitted between the valve and the inlet. Is this correct? It could have gone the other side of the valve or down on the exhaust. I guess for tidiness I need to bung another plate on the exhaust end then, correct me if I am wrong. Throw the valve in the skip and unplug the wiring to it.
    So, fingers crossed, it works. Anything else to do whilst I am in the mood?

Comment

Yes.. if you're using Chrome browser you could add the extension "Photobucket Hotlink Fix" as it fixes all the broken photos.
      I believe there are similar things available for Firefox that do the same thing.
      1999 2.5 TDI

Comment

Ah.............

Comment

Did it work for you?
          1999 2.5 TDI

Comment

No idea. Don't know how to use it. If I am in a thread that has the blocked photo bucket pics I am stalled. The what?
            . IT help as well here!

Comment

Originally posted by mattsccm View Post
              Checked air filter. Clean as a clean thing and service record says its about 500 miles old so just stood on the throttle until the fans kicked in (my clue to tell me its warm as the temp gauge isn't working. See incoming thread!). Did this a few times and it improved so went for a thrash. Gradually improved to the point that my hill to home that was 20mph in 2nd and no rear visibility is now 45 in 4th and a bit of smoke. As that's what my Jimny and Land Rover do I'm happy there. Still a bit hesitant when revving hard. May lok at EGR.
              Any reason not to remove it any way? Any benefit?
              Thanks for the help.
              Is it a genuine filter? Some aftermarket filters restrict the airflow quite badly

Sent from my vernee_M5 using Tapatalk

Comment

Filter?
                No idea. Would it have a VW stamp on it somewhere.
                Was running ok before layoff though.

Comment

Check the air filter hasnt got water logged, did have anissue of water ingress on ours. Even with a big square bonnet the engine bay on a T4 isnt the dryest of places. If its soaked would restrict air and you could get black smoke from a higher fuel mixture.

Comment

Originally posted by mattsccm View Post
                    Filter?
                    No idea. Would it have a VW stamp on it somewhere.
                    Was running ok before layoff though.
                    Yes it should. Or make sure it's from an oe manufacturer.
                    When I was a lad we serviced our instructors mk1 golf and put it on the sun tuner. The mixture reading went through the roof and wouldn't settle. I ended up going to the vw main dealers for a genuine filter. The difference was amazing!

Comment

Sun tuner.......that takes me back to the early 80's.........I still have a Sun timing light and dwell metre. None of this new fangled OBD and laps tops then. I'll get me coat.

Comment

Originally posted by S49 View Post
                        Sun tuner.......that takes me back to the early 80's.........I still have a Sun timing light and dwell metre. None of this new fangled OBD and laps tops then. I'll get me coat.
                        Yes I was an apprentice at the time, early 80's. Seems like yesterday......

Comment

That's it, doesn't time fly. Mixture,timing,dwell,fast idle all adjustable no lambda sensors and what nots then.

Comment

Originally posted by S49 View Post
                            That's it, doesn't time fly. Mixture,timing,dwell,fast idle all adjustable no lambda sensors and what nots then.
                            I still love messing with my feeler gauges setting plugs AND points!! And the knowledge that if your engine started running rough it was likely the condenser!!!!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Just T4s

Comment

Originally posted by Greeny gtc View Post
                              I still love messing with my feeler gauges setting plugs AND points!! And the knowledge that if your engine started running rough it was likely the condenser!!!!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Just T4s
                              Happy days. Often though still it's the basics that go wrong. It's easy to get blinded by the electronic gubbins

Comment

Update.
                                Still not happy. Flooring it still means black smoke and I don't know where my previous optimistic comments about get up and go came from. I even tried it briefly without the air filter. That's marked Crosland by the way. Any good? Trundles along quite happily and cleanly but flooring it in 2nd or 3rd from 10 to 35 mph creates the black cloud. No idea what it does at 50 + as my local roads don't allow that and I don't feel confident to go miles away to reach a DC.
                                Watery fuel?
                                What sort of additives as mentioned?
                                Fed up now.

Comment

Working...
                                X