Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    V&J T4's Avatar Now you're learning (Copper)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowrider View Post
    Iím looking forward to this! What bhp are you hoping for?

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
    Well the van is meant to be my sensible daily driver, but considering the V70 lump comes with the V70 injectors there's already a performance gain over the standard 102 injectors, but they really need a remap to suit.
    My van was already mapped when I got it (turns out badly to try and cover up the timing issue) and I've already upset a T5 driver, but the black smoke says it definitely needs a remap lol.

mick1070's Avatar Privileged
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by S49 View Post
    Could be a straight swap. When I worked for a Volvo agent the 740 and 940 diesels were the vdub 5 cylinder. When I went on the course they said if asked don't deny its vdub as its stamped all over the thing.
    Well you learn something every day, as always many thanks.

mick1070's Avatar Privileged
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by V&J T4 View Post
    Thanks everyone It was indeed a bit gutting and not a great start to T4 ownership and yes, we spent most of our conversion budget on getting it back on the road but it's given us a solid base to continue with.

The V70 block was built by VW for Volvo and is all but the same bar a few little differences - the coolant outlet on the core plug is one cylinder over (just needed to extend the pipe to reach it) and some of the thread sizes in the block are different for various things (sensors mainly). But other than that, just swap the ancillaries and loom over and away you go.
    When I looked for a T4 engine, I was seeing prices of £1000+ for unknown mileage engines, I got a complete rear ended 100k mile V70 for less than half that. No brainer really!

Makes complete sense, as you say its a no brainer, S49 explained they are all basically VW made, every day is a school day for me on here.

regcheeseman's Avatar Privileged
    Thanks
    Well the van is meant to be my sensible daily driver, but considering the V70 lump comes with the V70 injectors there's already a performance gain over the standard 102 injectors, but they really need a remap to suit.
    My van was already mapped when I got it (turns out badly to try and cover up the timing issue) and I've already upset a T5 driver, but the black smoke says it definitely needs a remap lol.

There's someone on here who may be able to help.

I'm running a V70 turbo on a T4 motor using his maps and it flies - or it did until I killed the clutch. I knew the clutch was dying, doubling the power it had to deal with did it no favours at all.

Nice van btw, when you gonna get it painted?

Activ8's Avatar Privileged
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,895 Times in 1,599 Posts
    The V70 block was built by VW for Volvo and is all but the same bar a few little differences - the coolant outlet on the core plug is one cylinder over (just needed to extend the pipe to reach it) and some of the thread sizes in the block are different for various things (sensors mainly). But other than that, just swap the ancillaries and loom over and away you go.
    Did you fit the Volvo gearbox and clutch as you had the complete car to play with?

T4Timmy's Avatar You obviously just chat rubbish (Silver)
    Thanks
    Looking forward to this thread. I've been thinking of going down the V70 route as my gearbox grinds into third and annoys the hell out of me but I'm not paying the stupid prices asked for T4s boxes!

Sent from my G8141 using Just T4s

S49's Avatar Privileged
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,554 Times in 2,180 Posts
    Not sure whether the gearbox would be a straight swap, will it have the extension shaft for the right hand shaft?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Activ8 View Post
    Did you fit the Volvo gearbox and clutch as you had the complete car to play with?
    I was told that the Volvo gearbox would not work in the T4, so kept the VW box and clutch. Just needed to swap the sump as the T4 box won't bolt up to the Volvo sump.
    I sold the Volvo gearbox (and leather interior) which basically covered the cost of the engine!
    I've still got the turbo which I'm thinking of selling, but it may make its way on to my van yet lol

Activ8's Avatar Privileged
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,895 Times in 1,599 Posts
    I was told that the Volvo gearbox would not work in the T4, so kept the VW box and clutch. Just needed to swap the sump as the T4 box won't bolt up to the Volvo sump.
    I sold the Volvo gearbox (and leather interior) which basically covered the cost of the engine!
    I've still got the turbo which I'm thinking of selling, but it may make its way on to my van yet lol

We're you able to keep the Volvos larger flywheel and upgrade the clutch?

Sent from my SM-G901F using Just T4s

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Activ8 View Post
    We're you able to keep the Volvos larger flywheel and upgrade the clutch?

Sent from my SM-G901F using Just T4s
    I didn't look into using the Volvo flywheel/clutch, I kept the the standard ACV stuff as I'd already bought a new kit.

I don't know if the Volvo flywheel/clutch will work with the VW gearbox in terms of size or if the number of splines match between the VW gearbox shaft and Volvo friction plate. Unfortunately I needed the van back on the road asap, so just had to go with what I knew would work - one of the reasons I kept the VW turbo and didn't fit the V70 turbo.