• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very nice. Like this one a lot
    Me cago en la madre que te pariĆ³!

Comment

• Originally posted by sbrme View Post
      Started on the split charge kit. Slowly getting there. Trying to keep as tidy as possible so need some cable wrap and ill run in all the fuse wires then fit my switches, voltmeter, lights etc
      Picked up a 80ah gel battery. Will fit solar for trickle charging when stationary/camped up.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Just T4s
      Holy fuck! Where do I start.

Do you carry a fire extinguisher?

Do like the furniture though - nice job

Comment

• What Reg is saying in his usual subtle way is your lugs aren't up to the job and won't handle the current go bigger at every point and get a proper crimp tool and preferably soldier the joints. I dont think your relay is voltage sensing so you will possibly end up with 2 flat batterys as when the leasure battery is dead it can draw from the ignition battery. This isn't an issue in itself but you would need to keep an eye on your battery state.

Not criticism but want you to be safe.

Comment

• The feed wire aint up to the job, although it appears to be fused twice?

The terminals are bent and twisted - now prone to crack and fail.

I hate preinsulated terminals but they appear to be properly crimped which is fine.

The install is generally untidy never a god sign of reliability.

The hole in the bulkhead grommet is another pet hate

Sorry to pick fault - I've seen a lot worse.

Be wary of the small dash solar panels - in less than excellent light they can actually drain the battery.

Comment

• Ok.. so criticise away [emoji16] how many fucks given haha. Firstly it's bought as a kit from simply split charge who supply loads. Secondly I've only gone for a 100amp switched relay. Old school that does NOT drain your car battery unless obviously your battery is fucked in which case you wont start the bastard [emoji23] oh but wait i have a fully charged leisure battery if needed. 3rd professional crimps used. The main battery wire is fused at either end as noticed id rather it blow than melt the cable.
            All wire is neat except the last bit from fuses and to my sub as the cable tidy isnt big enough so got to get some for that. At least i have run the cable through bulk head grommit not just through drilled hole. The switch wire from alternator has been run in with factory loom. The wire where you say is looped is one turn and tidy does not affect it at all. I've not coiled it several times to create my own current transformer!!! In think you will also find that the lugs are rated to the cable.
            I will be fitting a small solar panel and adapt.to trickle charge the battery when parked up so the pull in battery is never to loaded from being drained.
            Battery is a 12v 80ah gel so no gas either.
            Thanks for your input though as always haha

Last edited by sbrme; 16 April 2018, 07:44 AM.

Comment

• Quite like new panel and led lights are well bright. Far brighter than me [emoji23]

Comment

Ok.. so criticise away [emoji16] how many fucks given haha. Firstly it's bought as a kit from simply split charge who supply loads. Secondly I've only gone for a 100amp switched relay. Old school that does NOT drain your car battery unless obviously your battery is fucked in which case you wont start the bastard [emoji23] oh but wait i have a fully charged leisure battery if needed. 3rd professional crimps used. The main battery wire is fused at either end as noticed id rather it blow than melt the cable.
                All wire is neat except the last bit from fuses and to my sub as the cable tidy isnt big enough so got to get some for that. At least i have run the cable through bulk head grommit not just through drilled hole. The switch wire from alternator has been run in with factory loom. The wire where you say is looped is one turn and tidy does not affect it at all. I've not coiled it several times to create my own current transformer!!! In think you will also find that the lugs are rated to the cable.
                I will be fitting a small solar panel and adapt.to trickle charge the battery when parked up so the pull in battery is never to loaded from being drained.
                Battery is a 12v 80ah gel so no gas either.
                Thanks for your input though as always haha

My point for the relay stands. What happens when your gel battery is flat? It scavenges from the ignition battery hence the use of voltage sensing so when the voltage drops below a certain level it cuts the connection so you can still start the engine.
                As for the lugs please just keep an eye on them for temperature.
                I was an industrial electrician for over 10 years and fitted thousands if them in alsorts of sizes and in alsorts of situations and it's always a case of over spec.

Comment

• Originally posted by Greeny gtc View Post
                  My point for the relay stands. What happens when your gel battery is flat? It scavenges from the ignition battery hence the use of voltage sensing so when the voltage drops below a certain level it cuts the connection so you can still start the engine.
                  As for the lugs please just keep an eye on them for temperature.
                  I was an industrial electrician for over 10 years and fitted thousands if them in alsorts of sizes and in alsorts of situations and it's always a case of over spec.

The leisure battery will on charge at tue same time as the main battery. It will not draw when flat because the relay is open N/O contact off load. A voltage sensing relay only wprks when it see's around 13v from the alternator so no different. It would still charge the leisure battery as the connection to a voltage sensing relay is supplied from your main battery. As soon as it see's the alternator voltage it will close the contact. I've also been a wireman and understand your comnents.
                  The only difference in relays is less wiring.
                  Dare i say it but i work in the industry. Haha admittedly im not a auto electrician but I personally don't see an issue i did check ratings, voltage drops etc. I only have a run of about 3m if that.
                  Can't beat banter or criticism if valid. I'm nearly 50 i can take it and do take advice. Pics probably dont go justice as not 100% complete.

Comment

The leisure battery will on charge at tue same time as the main battery. It will not draw when flat because the relay is open N/O contact off load. A voltage sensing relay only wprks when it see's around 13v from the alternator so no different. It would still charge the leisure battery as the connection to a voltage sensing relay is supplied from your main battery. As soon as it see's the alternator voltage it will close the contact. I've also been a wireman and understand your comnents.
                    The only difference in relays is less wiring.
                    Dare i say it but i work in the industry. Haha admittedly im not a auto electrician but I personally don't see an issue i did check ratings, voltage drops etc. I only have a run of about 3m if that.
                    Can't beat banter or criticism if valid. I'm nearly 50 i can take it and do take advice. Pics probably dont go justice as not 100% complete.

Will have all you have said.
                    I still stand on the relay thing having observed mine working, otherwise what's the point in them? In addition if the leasure battery is low and the ignition battery and alternator are being used (to capacity) doing their duty the sensing will cut supply enabling the vehicle to work without issue.
                    Dc is very different to a.c. but the main thing is if your happy and all connections are tight and have a proper connection baring issues all is fine.

Last edited by Greeny gtc; 16 April 2018, 08:49 AM.

Comment

• Sod electrics Iā€™m loving the wood work!! Currently scavenging old wood around work to start kitting the back of out van. Great work sir

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

Comment

Will have all you have said.
                        I still stand on the relay thing having observed mine working, otherwise what's the point in them?
                        Dc is very different to a.c. but the main thing is if your happy and all connections are tight and have a proper connection baring issues all is fine.

As say simplicity of fitting is main reason id say. The bit about charging is more a sales pitch probably. Id of thought it would need to be fitted in parellel to battery to detect the main battery voltage being to low first. Still struggle with how it would change as alternator would bang out switch voltage but i could well be wrong [emoji16]

Comment

As say simplicity of fitting is main reason id say. The bit about charging is more a sales pitch probably. Id of thought it would need to be fitted in parellel to battery to detect the main battery voltage being to low first. Still struggle with how it would change as alternator would bang out switch voltage but i could well be wrong [emoji16]

It's 1 in 1 out and a ground on the sensing. I did loads of research into who what when where etc for mine and I found there was only one option. Take a look at travelvolts website there are brilliant diagrams and writeups on there relating to the why's and where fors. (Sorry to all for directing someone to the other sites fave go to guy)

Comment

It's 1 in 1 out and a ground on the sensing. I did loads of research into who what when where etc for mine and I found there was only one option. Take a look at travelvolts website there are brilliant diagrams and writeups on there relating to the why's and where fors. (Sorry to all for directing someone to the other sites fave go to guy)

Cheers..I did read fare amount as most say 140amp as well but as long as I'm not kicking arse out of battery it will be fine hence only the 80ah battery for now.

Comment

Cheers..I did read fare amount as most say 140amp as well but as long as I'm not kicking arse out of battery it will be fine hence only the 80ah battery for now.

As you say if it suits your needs then it's a done job off the list.
                              And I really like the style of your interior.

Comment

• Bit of blow torch fun on the latest cupboard

Comment

Working...
                                X