One day ill have a camper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
    Good work bud. I had a sycamore tree growing in my inner arch garden, looks like your weren't too far away from that.

Why is that plod splodged in there - it shouldn't be.

That panel gap on the arch repair is awful - it'll always draw your eye. Or was it just a really poor replica panel?

Get some bilt hamber electrox or some epoxy primer on the repaired areas bud, you don't want the rot getting back in.

oh and don't take this as negative - it's just my way of constructive criticism. Sure, you can come on forums and people can blow smoke up your arse and tell you how great you are doing (if you want that, try the other T4 forum)
    What do you mean by plod? Also if you mean the panel gap between the front wing it's not fixed in place as still working on both sides just rested to keep rain off inner wing. For the record constructive critism welcome. All im doing is saving my van I'm no professional and it will never ever be a show piece as it was way to far gone. It would require a rebuild from chassis up. The vehicle owes me 2k so I'm not going to scrap it 😁 We all start somewhere. Id like to of started with a new van and driven it around instead ha ha

Sent from my SM-G930F using Just T4s

Comment

More rot on the passenger side and still more to do! Had to fabricate inner sill, repair the inner arches same as drivers side.Bit of a pig getting lower arch panel on but hopefully getting there.Click image for larger version

Name:	20170405_122657.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	258943Click image for larger version

Name:	20170405_130551.jpg
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	258944Click image for larger version

Name:	20170405_155657.jpg
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	258945

Comment

Originally posted by sbrme View Post
        What do you mean by plod? Also if you mean the panel gap between the front wing it's not fixed in place as still working on both sides just rested to keep rain off inner wing. For the record constructive critism welcome. All im doing is saving my van I'm no professional and it will never ever be a show piece as it was way to far gone. It would require a rebuild from chassis up. The vehicle owes me 2k so I'm not going to scrap it �� We all start somewhere. Id like to of started with a new van and driven it around instead ha ha

Totally agree, we do have to start somewhere and buying a minter would be nice but we dont all have that option - it's great to see someone getting stuck in.

Plod is the filler - it'll crack and rust will creep back in. You should use seam sealer, as little as possible and then a good primer (hence the bilt hamber/epoxy advice)

It could be a show piece, look at some of the splittys that have been rescued from far worse.

I did mean the panel gap on the wing, but if it's not finished yet - fair enough.

It's fantastic to see someone actually doing the work themselves rather than writing cheques, I'm no pro either and always learning - just wish that with some of the stuff I've done previously, people had pulled me up and and offered advice rather than a blase 'that looks ace' type comment!

now crack on - I love the progress

Comment

Fair dos thought I had some welding to do! Looks like most T4s suffer in the same places. Decent pics for me to use as a guid. Nice one!

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

Comment

It's a good thing you're doing Sbrme, I have trouble fitting carpet in mine so keep up the good work. The more T4's saved from the scrappy, the better [emoji41]

Comment

Just spent £1000 on welding on mine and there's still plenty of it left to do. I'm gonna have to learn me how to weld.

Comment

Originally posted by Burgmeister View Post
                Just spent £1000 on welding on mine and there's still plenty of it left to do. I'm gonna have to learn me how to weld.
                Hi Burgmeister,

What did you have done pal?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Just T4s
                Last edited by Cpwood32; 6 April 2017, 03:00 PM.

Comment

So last of the patches have been welded. Now time for the clean up and make good for paint. It was quite nice to put the welder away Then apply a little germaline to the odd burn or two 😂👍

Comment

Originally posted by Cpwood32 View Post
                    Hi Burgmeister,

What did you have done pal?

Basically, a whole new front end! There was more hole than metal under the bonnet. Two new outriggers, new cross member, Inner wheel arches etc. 40-odd hours of labour. Looks really nice under there but I've still got to get new front wings, front wing/sill panels (both sides), rear wheel arch repair panels and front windscreen surround to sort.

Comment

Basically, a whole new front end! There was more hole than metal under the bonnet. Two new outriggers, new cross member, Inner wheel arches etc. 40-odd hours of labour. Looks really nice under there but I've still got to get new front wings, front wing/sill panels (both sides), rear wheel arch repair panels and front windscreen surround to sort.
                      Argh ok, Im getting lower arches and sill both side and passenger step down for £800 and wanted to check that was about the right price. Cheers

Comment

I missed this comment. Yea most garages hate taking on welding jobs hence the cost as labour intensive and never really know how much work involved till start.

Comment

So the I've finished welding didn't last. I found a hole then removed the tar in floor for a bigger hole now done hopefully. Even had me toast and cupa break to celebrate sat in the back ha ha Click image for larger version

Name:	20170407_192834.jpg
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	258959Click image for larger version

Name:	20170407_115038.jpg
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	258960Click image for larger version

Name:	20170407_121412.jpg
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	258961Click image for larger version

Name:	20170407_124534.jpg
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	258962Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170407_132620_599.jpg
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	258963

Comment

Fair play mate keep up the good work.

Comment

There you go sbrme, looks good enough to go and sit by the coast and enjoy your sandwiches. Well done.

Comment

So first base coat and now more block to do as the replacement arches have a fare few ripples when they have pressed them. Oh and having to keep taking doors off and put back on each time is a killer. Wish i had my own storage unit. Click image for larger version

Name:	20170408_162118.jpg
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	258970Click image for larger version

Name:	20170408_181607.jpg
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	258971

Comment

Working...
                                X