Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.4turbo or 2.5mtdi or 2.5tdi swap

Hi fellas. Great forum.
    My bro just got himself a reimo t4 in good nick.
    It’s a 94 or a 95. Not sure off top of my head.
    Anyway it’s a 2.4d.
    Not huge mileage and pretty well serviced.

Thing is. He recently picked up a 2.5tdi (102bhp) donor van for small change. Actually saved it from the crusher.

So we were thinking of

A. robbing the 2.5tdi turbo and intercooler bits and pieces and bolting them onto the 2.4 lump.

B. putting the 2.5 lump in and making it’s pump to run mtdi. Or indeed modifying the 2.4 pump to suit the 2.5 lump.

C. converting the whole thing to accept the full 2.5tdi with ECU with throttle and immob. the works. Whole engine loom transplant etc.

If you guys had the choice. Which of the above options would you go for. ?

Bear in mind, we’ll do it ourselves but we are not awfully keen on electrics and I’m especially not keen on the vw tdi reliance on n75 valves and maf’s and map sensors and throttle pots. etc.

Gear box wise, I’d need adivice as to which would be better to add a more mpg friendly 5th gear to. The 2.5 gearbox or the .’2.4.

Thanks in advance.
    Dan.

Well, good luck. You're asking in the right place though, so you have that on your side.
    Me cago en la madre que te parió!

Comment

I'd go for" turboing" the 2.4 but I seem to be allergic to ECU's.

Comment

Yep I'd rather go for non ecu, too many gremlins for my liking, just my personal choice tho [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Just T4s

Comment

The better solution is surely to sell the vans and parts on this forum - cheaply - & buy a T5? Better still give them away knowing your souls will be forever cleansed? Eh, what.... just thought it was worth a try... There's lost souls out there guys!

Sent from my SM-G901F using Just T4s

Comment

If it was me, I'd swap the lot - no brainer really.

Did you have lego as a kid - its much the same.

There's actually less work involved in the full swap .

Unbolt, take pictures, lots of pictures, get a load of freezer bags, label assemblies as you go.

label the loom as you remove it, the fusebox end is all colour coded, so easy

Just swap all the bits over, at least you have all the bits.

Comment

The turbo'ed 2.4 will be underpowered and fragile

The mtdi will always be a compromise and you cannot make the TDI pump into an mtdi one - you can make the ID pump into a mtdi one, or even better hybrid the two.

But the TDI will ultimately be the better van and will be more saleable should the time come

Comment

Option C all the way. They're so simple there's really no reason not to just swap the whole lot in. Mtdi is just a bodge when you've got a complete donor available

Comment

Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
                  The turbo'ed 2.4 will be underpowered and fragile

The mtdi will always be a compromise and you cannot make the TDI pump into an mtdi one - you can make the ID pump into a mtdi one, or even better hybrid the two.

But the TDI will ultimately be the better van and will be more saleable should the time come
                  What do you mean by fragile reg? I’ve heard they are bullet proof but I have held off doing it as I am worried it could cause problems

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

Comment

Right, I'm going to offer a more serious answer...

My plan would be to end up with the ACV 102bhp AND the gear box, hubs, brakes as much as I could transfer over but the engine in an upgraded form.
                    Upgraded turbo, manifolds, IC, injectors, DP, as its quicker to fit out of the van.
                    Break the rest of the ACV van for spares and sell on this forum.

But first upgrade and document the 2.4d with the surplus ACV parts, turbo, manifold, IC, manual boost controller (8-10psi), get it running, video then sell this engine and gearbox.

Decisions, decisions, - Best of luck!

Comment

2.4d turbod is equally as good to drive as my mapped 2.5tdi, I would base it all on service and mileage of the engines.

If the tdi is a good lowish mileage and serviced one then I’d swap as they are a little more refined and easier to upgrade.

If it’s a high miler dog and the 2.4d is good the id use all the bits and turbo it. You can always keep the block and strip it down and rebuild then sell the 2.4d turbod on.

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

Comment

Or you could restore the one you saved from the crusher and start a fleet.

Comment

HaHa.
                          A fleet.
                          Don't talk to me.

He already has a lwb tintop caravelle homebrew converted camper. 2.4d. No mechanical mods.
                          The Reimo swb 2.4d.
                          The 2.5tdi (102bbp) lwb panel van.

And I am converting a caravelle twin slider 2.5tdi (88bhp) to become my daily driver cheaper tax camper.

Maybe I should knock him over the head and take all the toys.
                          And build some monster t4 triple engined hybrid juggernaut with a pop up roof. HaHa.

In all seriousness guys. Many Thanks for all the replies.
                          I guess the full tdi with a better 5th gear and small remap and upgraded injectors would be more sensible despite my hatred for all things electronic.

You see I've just converted my '66 splitty to the dirty derv using a 1.9mtdi afn with flipped Passat gearbox.
                          Land Rover 300tdi pump and a pulley and wastegate turbo from a mk4 golf.
                          Yes. Bodgery is my middle name.

Diesel bob quoted me 500 quid ex vat to make the 2.5tdi pump into a 'one wire' jobby.
                          You're probably right @regcheese but I don't know enough to disagree with you either as I never got close enough to one of these 5 cylinder pumps that runs the other direction.

Full tdi it's looking like.

He'll have enough spare old school stuff left over that's for sure.

Thanks again fellas.
                          Dan.

Comment

Sounds like your busy. cant have enough vdubs, we have four. Would love a "saved from the crusher" T4.

Comment

Originally posted by splitbusvanatic View Post
                              HaHa.
                              A fleet.
                              Don't talk to me.

He already has a lwb tintop caravelle homebrew converted camper. 2.4d. No mechanical mods.
                              The Reimo swb 2.4d.
                              The 2.5tdi (102bbp) lwb panel van.

And I am converting a caravelle twin slider 2.5tdi (88bhp) to become my daily driver cheaper tax camper.

Maybe I should knock him over the head and take all the toys.
                              And build some monster t4 triple engined hybrid juggernaut with a pop up roof. HaHa.

In all seriousness guys. Many Thanks for all the replies.
                              I guess the full tdi with a better 5th gear and small remap and upgraded injectors would be more sensible despite my hatred for all things electronic.

You see I've just converted my '66 splitty to the dirty derv using a 1.9mtdi afn with flipped Passat gearbox.
                              Land Rover 300tdi pump and a pulley and wastegate turbo from a mk4 golf.
                              Yes. Bodgery is my middle name.

Diesel bob quoted me 500 quid ex vat to make the 2.5tdi pump into a 'one wire' jobby.
                              You're probably right @regcheese but I don't know enough to disagree with you either as I never got close enough to one of these 5 cylinder pumps that runs the other direction.

Full tdi it's looking like.

He'll have enough spare old school stuff left over that's for sure.

Thanks again fellas.
                              Dan.
                              Got any pictures of the splitty?

Comment

Working...
                              X