Strip down and restoration...........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did a few bits on the van today.
    Fitted the old bed shelf in, looks crap but it'll serve the purpose for a trip away until the new one is built.
    Also fitted the mk3 delay courtesy and map light. Also cut and fitted into the caravelle slider cover the light which also controls the leds Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20181110-WA0002.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	196.6 KB
ID:	265989

Comment

• And of course the most important addition

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20181110-WA0007.jpg
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	265993
      Last edited by UncleTravellingMatt; 12 November 2018, 08:46 PM.

Comment

• Bit of an update as it appears I've done nothing, but we have been using it more than working on it!!!

finished the rear bed unit which features barn doors on the back and then a flip top which means we can lift it when we want to read in bed.
        (pics to follow as I cant find them)

Vent thingy de-mossed and fitted with some stainless filtration mesh from the engineers stores...……..

Name:	Vent.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	267760

Then fitted the swivel seat on the drivers side, need to sort proper sized bolts etc but as a trial fit it went well. Sits a little higher but not entirely weird, will see how we get on with it but think it'll stay...…

Name:	Seat.jpg
Size:	203.0 KB
ID:	267761

Also fitted some little lights for that romantic feeling, not very intrusive and can hardly see them when they aren't on, they are battery operated and last for ages so a good cheap option.
        They have the hard wire between each so just tucked the wire in behind and left the light buld showing.
        Makes the missus happy, although she is talking about bunting!!!
        Want to keep it looking fairly factory...…..

Name:	lights.jpg
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	267762

Comment

• Looking good [emoji106]

Sent from my JSN-L21 using Just T4s

Comment

• Intercooler fitted today. Click image for larger version

Name:	20190817_171450_resized.jpg
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	268020. Needs another bolt in the bottom bracket

Then replaced the cab carpet with astro turf which ties in with the cow print roof lining in the cab

Name:	20190817_171404_resized.jpg
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	268021

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	20200626_174915_resized.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	301.8 KB
ID:	303085Carrying on with tidying up the cab area to match the rear, intention was just to whip my door cards off and give them a good clean, but even after scrubbing with elbow grease and sugar soap they still looked really grubby so I thought I'd try the cherry blossom malarky.
              Intention is to cover the top half with grey 3 way stretch to match in with the rear panels.
              Pictures progress through each coating, grey 3 way stretch to follow...

Comment

• Coat 2Click image for larger version

Name:	20200626_180901_resized.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	228.5 KB
ID:	303087

Comment

• Through to 5th coat although still needs another..... Seems pretty durable which I am surprised about but happy with!!!

Name:	20200626_200659_resized.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	264.2 KB
ID:	303090

Comment

• Aye up Matt. Hope you’re well? Good to see you’re thread with some more build activity again.
                    frenchy.

Comment

• Was going to cover the top half in the grey stretch fabric but think it'll be too much, not 100% sure as yet but once I've trial fitted them with the new handles, homemade winders and covered door pulls I'll make my mind up, with the grey on the top it might be too much.
                      This is 6 coats of the infamous cherry blossom, must admit I was skeptical but covers really well, tried scratching it off and it doesn't move or mark so we'll see how it lasts

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200627_163028_resized.jpg Views:	0 Size:	211.7 KB ID:	303191

Comment

• I was sceptical too as a dyed in the wool hater of the scenetastic 'cheery bloosom' but that looks great with the trimmed pocket. I think you are right, a trimmed top half would be too much, and you have the issue of trying to neatly finish the border between the two materials.

Well done, lets see how it holds up....

Comment

• Cheers Reg, the cards really were winding me up, hated how they seemed to have faded over the years and no matter what I did never came up as well as I wanted. I was always happy with the factory grey and if I could have cleaned them to my liking would have left as was. Shame you can't get grey cherry blossom!
                          Know what you mean about the scene blossoming of everything in sight but I'm really impressed, was skeptical and seriously thought I'd be looking on eBay for replacements by now!

Comment

• Originally posted by UncleTravellingMatt View Post
                            Cheers Reg, the cards really were winding me up, hated how they seemed to have faded over the years and no matter what I did never came up as well as I wanted. I was always happy with the factory grey and if I could have cleaned them to my liking would have left as was. Shame you can't get grey cherry blossom!
                            Know what you mean about the scene blossoming of everything in sight but I'm really impressed, was skeptical and seriously thought I'd be looking on eBay for replacements by now!
                            It looks like a cracking job Matt, absolutely transforming - I had to look if there's grey and there is ....

Name:	VW_T4_CherryBlossom_Grey.png
Views:	228
Size:	291.3 KB
ID:	303202

Comment

• Not sure if that's the same type stuff Rob, the stuff that everyone seems to use is a liquid wax thing, and has to be cherry blossom apparently, kiwi etc doesn't work. Not my words only what I've read.
                              This stuff.. https://www.yorkshiretrading.com/pro...SABEgLnc_D_BwE

Went for a drive in the van today to woolacombe after I popped them on, still got a couple bits to fit back but looks ok.
                              Trouble is makes the dash look crap now!
                              Click image for larger version  Name:	20200628_165907_resized.jpg Views:	0 Size:	236.1 KB ID:	303250
                              Last edited by UncleTravellingMatt; 28 June 2020, 08:16 PM.

Comment

• They do look great Matt. Yeh I thought it was a liquid wax but Ill give the polish/shoe cream a go on my lower door trims none-the-less. Cracking job on the door pocket covering too....looks like a pro job there Matt.

Comment

Working...
                                X