Big Blue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They managed to sort it with a little gentle grinder action [emoji23]

His words “we’ve done it but it was a right bitch”.

Exactly why some things are worth paying someone else [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

Comment

• One bastard of a part removed[emoji736]

Tom

Comment

• Bloody hell that broke fast! Guess that it moves about abit while driving! Good job its off now! Useless bit of junk now!

Comment

• Big Blue

Shouldn’t have spoken too soon- turbo isn’t working. Was hoping it just wasn’t plugged in at the intercooler but it was. Will have to have a rummage in the morning! [emoji848]

It worked driving it in anyway!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sirfbum View Post
            Shouldn’t have spoken too soon- turbo isn’t working. Was hoping it just wasn’t plugged in at the intercooler but it was. Will have to have a rummage in the morning! [emoji848]

It worked driving it in anyway!!

Have they unplugged the egr valve itself from the loom?
            I don't know 2.5's very well but I suspect there is something that should remain plugged in so that it doesn't have a hissy fit and drop into limp mode... 🤔

Like this maybe?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Just T4s
            Last edited by Adventure Van; 8 December 2017, 07:17 PM.
            '00 1.9TDI LWB, '87 Mk2 Golf 16v

Wheel or tyre question? Just ask, it's what i do!

Comment

• Originally posted by Adventure Van View Post
              Have they unplugged the egr valve itself from the loom?
              I don't know 2.5's very well but I suspect there is something that should remain plugged in so that it doesn't have a hissy fit and drop into limp mode... [emoji848]

Like this maybe?

It doesn’t have an EGR valve sir- I removed all that gubbings a few weeks back, including the vac hoses and bit you’ve circled.

All they did today was remove that pipe which snapped- which I should have removed when i did the rest but couldn’t get the nuts off.

I reckon theyve just refitted something incorrectly as they had to remove a few bits including intercooler to get at the nuts properly. I’ll just strip it all down again and check tomorrow. Apart from no turbo it drives fine- no more gas in the cab!!!!

Tom

Comment

• Just a thought mate... Don't know your engine - but the AHU/1Z used in the TDI conversions when removing the egr they say it's best to leave the circled bit (N18 anyone?) plugged in.
                Sorry I can't be of any help, I hope you can sort it, nothing more frustrating than fixing one thing for another to break!

Comment

Just a thought mate... Don't know your engine - but the AHU/1Z used in the TDI conversions when removing the egr they say it's best to leave the circled bit (N18 anyone?) plugged in.
                  Sorry I can't be of any help, I hope you can sort it, nothing more frustrating than fixing one thing for another to break!

Hmmm... maybe. I do need to get the EGR deleted from the ECU. May help.

Tom

Comment

Hmmm... maybe. I do need to get the EGR deleted from the ECU. May help.

Tom
                    I've read that yes, but then if it was working before then you shouldn't need to?

Comment

• Big Blue

Originally posted by Adventure Van View Post
                      I've read that yes, but then if it was working before then you shouldn't need to?

Yep. That’s what I thought too. Definitely worked until the flexy EGR pipe split- wouldn’t have thought that would impact the turbo?

Tom
                      Last edited by Sirfbum; 8 December 2017, 08:03 PM.

Comment

Yep. That’s what I thought too. Definitely worked until the flexy EGR pipe split- wouldn’t have thought that would impact the turbo?

Tom
                        I doubt it...
                        Flexy pipe only split due to pressure building up inside it from crankcase fumes - shouldn't have impacted on turbo components.

Comment

I doubt it...
                          Flexy pipe only split due to pressure building up inside it from crankcase fumes - shouldn't have impacted on turbo components.

It only split because it was only attached at one end - so kind of shook itself in half. But yes, can’t see it having any impact on turbo- I think most likely that something hasn’t been plumbed back together properly.

Tom

Comment

So turns out it’s the old egr pipe has cracked where I left it in place but capped off - the nuts are rusted solid so couldn’t take it off even after a clean up and penetrating oil etc- one of fairly rounded off too for good measure.

Knew it would split when left but didn’t expect it so fast! So now need to figure out how to get it off and then fit the blanking plate- it’s a tight space to work in too!

A good soak with Plus Gas, not WD40, if the nuts are rounding off tap on a good quality hex socket not bi hex, then work back and forth once you have moved it. Use as big a square drive set as you can get at it with.

Comment

• POWEEEEEEEEEEEEEER!!!!!!

Figured out the turbo problem- it was a snapped wire on the connector that leads to whatever the vaccum valve is that feeds the actuator. Circled below:

Because it snapped so close to the connector, I’ve removed this and crimped on spade connectors (electricians look away now!).

Put the intercooler back together (removed it all to check the pipe work and lines) and went for a little test drive. Back to pulling uphill like a train![emoji16][emoji16][emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

All insulation taped and tidied up now.

This has seriously been one of the most satisfying self fixes I’ve ever done - had such a grin on my face when the turbo kicked in up a massive hill on the test drive. Hate to think how much it would have cost if I’d taken it into a garage and said “my turbo isn’t working”!!!

Oh, and while I was there took a little photo of the blanking plate that is now in place instead of that snapped Flexi pipe.

Tom

Comment

• Tidy, always nice when you find the problem. Don't let reg see those crimp connecters

Comment

Working...
                                X