The weekend mechanic ......... working under your van safely

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TURK View Post
    Yeah, wood Reg ...... not marsh mellows !!!

Wood has been used in the construction of bridges and buildings for 100's of years, some of which are still standing ! You don't have to be a structural engineer to know just how solid wood is, you just need to think like one. Railway sleepers are made of wood, they're good enough for entire trains to travel at high speeds along them. Go to any lumber yard, and what are the tonnes of lumber sitting on ? 2 x 4's !

I've heard in the past that axle stands have fallen over, but never have I heard of 'cribbing blocks' falling over.

You of course you're entitled to your opinion ......... but having said that, you'd rather risk sitting a two tonne vehicle on concrete ! Don't tell me ......... breeze blocks ?
    Concrete cracks ! I know which one I prefer, and it certainly ain't poxy axle stands, nor concrete blocks.

Each to his own aye !

TURK
    Heh hee!

Those wooden bridges...the ones that have collapsed.... replaced with what? Ah yes Concrete and steel.

I use steel axle stands as my main support, the concrete blocks are merely an insurance option tucked under the wheels.

Structural engineers? Best ask them what mode concrete is superior in, think you'll find it's compression

Oh and yes I use wood as well - often to spread a load across a chassis, to pick up on two structural strong points or to protect a vulnerable component (like a bell housing) from a single point load

I'm sure your wood jenga blocks are absolutely fine for the job, more important is location you choose for support and the work area in general. (i.e a flat surface where axle stands cant topple)

Regardless of what option you chose people - just be safe.

Comment

That's a good idea, they use wood to hold boats up where I work and most boat yards

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

Comment

The weekend mechanic ......... working under your van safely

It's me old mans Ramps I go for! chock the other end and away I go.

I wonder if he's noticed I pinched them yet [emoji848]
        Sent from my landline [emoji338]

Comment

I scare myself going up ramps, had a set of those dodgy metal ones - they'd either skid away, I'd be off the side, or burn the clutch out trying to get up them without shooting off the end.

Those wood ones look like a better option, wider, taller and with a smooth ramp instead of a mini metal ladder.

Could you turn them upside down and fill them with concrete for extra safety - your dad would never be able to take them back then

Comment

Got some beefy ones but they weigh a ton

sent from over there

Comment

Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
              I scare myself going up ramps, had a set of those dodgy metal ones - they'd either skid away, I'd be off the side, or burn the clutch out trying to get up them without shooting off the end.
              I spat a landrover off some of those metal ramps, there was a lot of lash in the transmission so as I let the clutch out it jerked and fired the ramps out under the vehicle, ripped both sills off.

Comment

Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post

Those wood ones look like a better option, wider, taller and with a smooth ramp instead of a mini metal ladder.

Could you turn them upside down and fill them with concrete for extra safety - your dad would never be able to take them back then
                I'd have to decide where I work on the van for the rest of my life too

The only mod I'd make to these is screwing a stopper block to the end of them in case I was to run over the back, that'd be a bad day up the barn!

Comment

Never had any trouble with ratchet type axle stands, use them a lot as i only have a single bay workshop so its one on the lift waiting for parts and on with the next on the stands.

Comment

Working...
                  X