Builders Van to Camper- well that's the plan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Builders Van to Camper- well that's the plan

I've finally got started on the T4 - still lots of stuff to decide, but so far everything in the back is stripped out, fitted cruise control, started to insulate and today had 2 side windows fitted by Unique Campers in St Neots. Nice guy and he's done a great job. Here is a piccie:

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_4579.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	269621

Makes me jump when I drive it, I'm not used to seeing stuff behind me!

Need to get that height down a bit!

Martin

OK - not sure how much interest there is, especially as it is the same old stuff you've read before....! But here is an update on work so far.

Cruise control added - If anyone interested, I'll do a write up on this.

Name:	tonka-7.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	257476

Panels and wheel arches flash-banded:

Name:	tonka-10.jpg
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	257477

Thermowrapped:

Name:	tonka-13.jpg
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	257478

And "Celotexed":

Name:	tonka-14.jpg
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	257479

This has now been done for all the panels. I decided not to bother trying to stuff insulation in the voids - I cannot see that it will gain that much, and hopefully the work done will help with temperature control and reduce noise.

Ordered carpet sample from Mega Van Mats to choose a colour!

Onto the floor next.

Comment

Defo on the cruise write up...

Sent from my SM-P550 using Tapatalk

Comment

Work continues - all the usual stuff happening. Lifted the ply floor to check everything okay, and give a good clean. Ply re-laid, and then sealed with SBR - much much better than PVA. Managed to do a deal with a local flooring company to buy up some surplus stock, so have got some Karndean Da Vince tiles to go down - these are really heavy duty vinyl tiles so should wok a treat. Pictures of the flooring soon.

Then installed the split charger kit and leisure battery from travelvolts. Here it is almost finished - some tidying up needed:

Name:	vwt4-50.jpg
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	257501

And I've started work on a front console and rear overhead console:

Name:	vwt4-51.jpg
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	257502Click image for larger version

Name:	vwt4-52.jpg
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	257503
        Last edited by tesan-man; 19 May 2016, 11:45 PM.

Comment

Flooring and carpet lining

Managed to get hold of some very good quality Karndean vinyl tiles at a very low price, so started to prep the floor and lay the tiles. I laid thermowrap under the ply floor and then sealed the refitted floor ply with SBR - this is a much better option than PVA as it is water resistant (PVA will disssolve if immersed).

Name:	vwt4-42.jpg
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	257508

I forgot to take any photos of just the flooring, so here is a shot post carpeting and with electrics started to be installed

Name:	vwt4-103.jpg
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	257509

I've done some more on the cab console - I'm not sure about the carpet around the satnav at the mo - may change this to vinyl later. The switch is for the radio - I am planning to run it from the leisure battery

Name:	vwt4-102.jpg
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	257510

And also installed the overhead console frame

Name:	vwt4-101.jpg
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	257511

Comment

that's good I like to see work in progress, keep the pictures coming.The centre bar looks interesting #I assume that's to build a feature.

Comment

Next step

In answer to Dave - the overhead centre bit is just to house lights and speakers.

So wiring for that completed.

Name:	vwt4-110.jpg
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	257513

Then roof insulated

Name:	vwt4-111.jpg
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	257514

Then ceiling panels made - the original panels have been cut down and carpeted. Only two shown in picture below. They are held in place using MVM longer hidden panel clips, plus will be a new centre support bar.

Fitted the panels with some small LED downlights I picked up cheaply as an "end-of-line" at Maplins.

Name:	vwt4-112.jpg
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	257515

Yesterday, up to see Dave at Cannons Forge in Worksop for 3/4 R&R bed. Looks like a great piece of kit to me, fitted in 20 minutes. It is trimmed in Black/Grey "Mercedes" fabric.

Name:	vwt4-113.jpg
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	257516

Name:	vwt4-114.jpg
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	257517

Whilst there, saw a couple of seats that Dave has waiting for a customer - standard VW seats trimmed in black vinyl and the Merc fabric. Hey ho - I've ordered a seat re-trim for August so my currently tired looking front seats will match the new bed....

Comment

Great thread, keep us posted.

Comment

Update

Bit of catching up to do - made good progress on the van in the last couple of weeks. Completed the roof lining by making up a couple more panels and a filler - you'll see what I mean by hat in the photos....

The "centre overhead bit" is to house lights and speakers. I wanted some flexi-lights to use for reading in bed(!), and had seen some on a camper website that were mega expensive. So whilst at Ikea getting the main LED lights, I spotted these clamp on LED flexis:

Name:	ikea-lamp.jpg
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	257545

They are called Jansjo and cost a tenner each. I split the clamp by driling out the hinge pin, and then cut the plastic base down a bit, as you can see below:

Name:	flex-light-2.jpg
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	257546

Made up a panel, cut slots to allow the lights to fit in place and then fixed then using some M3 csnk screws and nuts. Filled the slots as below:

Name:	flex-light-3.jpg
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	257547

And then carpeted!

Name:	flex-light-4.jpg
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	257548

The only issue is they are 7volts so I had to buy a cheap adjustable power supply (Couple of quid off ebay...), as show here:

Name:	flex-light-6.jpg
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	257549

I made up a couple of speaker / light panels:

Name:	overhead-1.jpg
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	257550

The lights I have used are the Ikea Dioder LEDs - I hacked the back about a bit as the connectors come out the side and I did not want the connector to show. Basically cut away the socket surrond and careful stood upright and fixed with hot glue gun:

Name:	overhead-2.jpg
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	257552

Then made up a couple more panels and covered in vinyl, for switches for the lights and individual switches for the reading lights. Here it is complete (photo doesn't show the very front panel / speaker).

Name:	overhead-3.jpg
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	257553

The centre button in the photo operates the central locking. The speakers are linked to the main radio - more on that later.

Then installed some Van-X premium curtains, and we were off for our first weekend away in the van!

Name:	curtains-3.jpg
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	257554Click image for larger version

Name:	camping-1.jpg
ID:	257555

More on the next phase later......

Comment

More updates

I decided I didn't want gas on board at this stage, and so on recommendation from a friend, looked at the Origo 3000 spirit hob. It is designed primarily for use on boats, but found it had good reviews on various sites from van campers. It was a good price on Amazon, so bought one. It uses odourless fuel - bio-ethenol. We used it on our camping trip and were very pleased with the results. The flame / heat is reasonably controllable.

So, then needed somewhere to house it - I don't like the idea of cooking inside the van - too many lingering smells,so a rear pullout arrangement was the order of the day. I designed a unit using sketchup 3D to prove the concept, and then put those woodworking skills and tools to work! I am waiting on a stainless steel panel to go behind the hob , but in the meantime here is the result:

Name:	cooker-2.jpg
ID:	257556Click image for larger version

Name:	cooker-3.jpg
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	257557Click image for larger version

Name:	cooker-4.jpg
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	257558Click image for larger version

Name:	cooker-5.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	257559

And this last pictures gives some clues about the build:

Name:	cooker-1.jpg
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	257560

Comment

Fitted some Dubflecta Wind Deflectors - they work a treat!

Name:	dubflecta-2.jpg
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	257563

And DAB radio. I went for a roof top aerial from dubonwheels.com - installed and accessed through the cab interior light.

Name:	aerial-2.jpg
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	257564

It works a treat. I modified the wiring so that the radio operates from the leisure battery so no worries about using it when parked up.

Comment

More photos

A couple of photos - one showing progress. The first is the new DAB radio and homemade centre console. I showed it earlier in the thread with carpet on the fascia - but really didn't like it so re-covered it in vinyl. It houses the satnav, radio switch and USB/audio connections for the radio.

Name:	van-1.jpg
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	257573

Second photo is a bit random - but this American Long Eared Owl lives at the campsite near Grafham Water, where we stayed for a night last week - amazing!

Name:	van-2.jpg
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	257574

Comment

Graham water is a great site, just up the road from me. Where were you going to stay there.

Comment

Hi Dave

"Graham water is a great site, just up the road from me. Where were you going to stay there."

Bizarrely Grafham Water is just up the road from me - I'm just west of Cambridge - we fancied an evening away to finish testing the van but didn't want to go far, so stayed at the site in Grafham itself.

Cheers

Martin

Comment

Furniture

So, onto building furniture. I have been thinking about various options, such as using kitchen units (too heavy), furniture kits (too pricey), etc. So in the end decided to build my own.

They are built from decent 12mm ply, and are surprisingly light yet sturdy. Design / dimensions mostly worked out as a I went along. The photos pretty much explain the process.

The basic "lower" cabinet - everything screwed and glued!:

Name:	furniture-1.jpg
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	257585

Now with door cutouts:

Name:	furniture-3.jpg
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	257586

The "tall" cabinet - already primed:

Name:	furniture-5.jpg
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	257587

The lower unit painted in Satinwood

Name:	furniture-6.jpg
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	257588

Both units nearing completion

Name:	furniture-7.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	257589

I decided to make my own doors as well; -these are covered in vinyl and actually work pretty well. The doors are held closed using rare earth magnets:

Name:	furniture-4.jpg
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	257590

Purchased the tambour door from Mega Van Mats. Here are the units fitted:

Name:	furniture-100.jpg
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	257591

The lower panel is removable for access to the consumer unit, etc.

Name:	furniture-103.jpg
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	257592

The "worktop" is actually an Ikea door cut down to fit. I used another door, plus a fixing rail kit and leg from MVM for the table:

Name:	furniture-102.jpg
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	257593

Comment

Working...
                              X