Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bully - SWB 2.5 TDI - Build Thread

Eh up forum readers

For Bully's posterity and your general amusement (and possibly the occasional piece of sage wisdom ), here starts his build thread. Mechanically well looked after and some basic modifications already. Headlight loom, pedal box reinforcement, EGR blank, decent sound system, leisure battery, etc.

A bit of a mishap on the way to Snowden last year [a tale I'll likely share one day] sees him off the road for a bit. Time to open him up and see what his insidey parts look like.

Without further ado...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bully_Front.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	270647

Name:	Bully_Rear.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	270648

Name:	Bully_Cab.jpg
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	270649

Name:	Bully_Dash.jpg
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	270650

Name:	Bully_InsideRear.jpg
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	270651

Love it looks low what you running for springs

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Just T4s

Comment

Unknown to be honest. Lowered under previous owner. Dropped about 30/40mm all round.
      Look like the budget green lowering springs available at Transporters R Us - LINK

Shocks are in good shape and I seem to recall some paperwork suggesting he'd installed the Bilstein kit - LINK

Much nicer ride once I removed the heinous 17 inch alloy wheels.

Comment

Share your tail

sent from a t6 (As if am not that sad)

Comment

Nice looking van mate, I think we need to know what happened to it 😉

Sell my T4 ? I'd rather stick wasps up my butt !!!

Comment

Seconded. You can't tell us half a story.
            Me cago en la madre que te parió!

Comment

share away please 😊

On the seventh day there was the t4

Comment

Am going make a guess, timing belt snap.

sent from a t6 (As if am not that sad)

Comment

You appear to have twisted my arm

It's Christmas day. We're packing the van for a week away. Plan was to get a few days climbing the Roaches in the Peaks then over to Snowden for a summit attempt. Followed by a lazy drive back to Bristol via stops in mid Wales.

Arrived in the Peaks to some seriously blustery conditions. Fookin' hooning in fact. Got half a day bouldering the sheltered sections but the novelty wore off fast. Climbing the higher tiers looked very spicy. As the wind gently rocked us to sleep that night, we decided we'd try the Snowden summit early. Weather window looked much more favourable two days on.

We packed up knowing we had all day to cover the 130 miles to Snowdonia. The rain came and went and we made a tactical roadside stop in a dry spot about lunchtime. While I was 'occupied', PMW (Present Mrs Weemac) had been rummaging around in the back. I jumped back in the van and pulled away, giving it some beans as we're on a full speed road. "Oh, the side door is opening" I thought before everything went into slow-motion and I realised why that wasn't going to end well.

The door was off the van and on the ground before I hit the brakes. Upon first inspection, I was convinced we'd got away with it. The window didn't smash, the runners looked good, and apart from the corner that hit the ground first, it was free of damage. We were pretty zen and laughed as we picked the door out of the road and offered if back up to the van.

Time to turn that smile upside down. It was so bowed outwards down the right hand edge that it didn't mate with the door catch and left huge gaps top and bottom. [NSPT4 (National Society for the Protection of T4s) enthusiasts look away now.] Given that we had to move on, I had no option but align the door as best I could and get the boot in to engage the door catch. No joy at all so I stopped kicking and lashed it on from the inside. This was not ideal, especially as we'd planned another four days' camping and I wasn't about to start hoofing the van on a campsite.

We pressed on and made it up Snowden the day after but it was a noisy drive courtesy of the new ventilation in the back and freezing at night. What I admitted to PMW later when she asked me "how can the door, just... y'know, come off?" was met with hysterics. While routinely messing with the van the week before, I'd cleaned and greased the lower runner and in the process, removed the stopper bolt. I'd not replaced it (insert laughter track here) so there was nothing to prevent it slipping off. She called me names.

We built a massive timber jig to bend the door back into shape, and made good progress. Finally got the catch to engage but it's still not mating the seals and wants to just burst off. Drove around for a bit but seems risky so Sorn'd in the new year until I could fix. It's now 4 months later and I'm just getting round to it among other things.

If you take things off your van, put them back on. Just saying.
                  Last edited by Weemac; 22 May 2017, 09:41 PM.

Comment

That's definitely a tail worth waiting for...Sounds like a nightmare. Glad it's fixed now for you though
                    Up there for thinking, down there for dancing.

Comment

Thanks for sharing it was worth waiting for

On the seventh day there was the t4

Comment

Bully - SWB 2.5 TDI - Build Thread

Brilliant, we should have a confessions of a t4 owner section [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
                        Last edited by ricrhys; 23 May 2017, 09:02 AM.

Comment

Lol a pain in the arse but funny how you tell the story 😂

Sell my T4 ? I'd rather stick wasps up my butt !!!

Comment

Bully - Cab floor

Popped outside this afternoon to free the battery charger I had fitted under the seat. One thing led to another until I became determined to strip the whole cab floor out. I was curious to see what I'd find. You hear stories of folks finding holes big enough for scaf' bars in the door steps, corrosion around the gear stick mount and a whole manner of other heinous problems.

I'd peeked under the doorstep covers, etc. when I bought Bully, so knew there was nothing serious hiding away under there. What I wasn't expecting was a near immaculate floor pan, doorsteps and sills. A thorough clean down leaves very little to do to prepare for the acoustic tiles and a bit of cable routing. I'll be going to work on the massive rubber floor mat and may even experiment with some Plasticote to send it back to black.

We all know smugness is not becoming, but after finding the rear floor pan more akin to a cheese grater, I'm pretty chuffing chuffed with myself.

Name:	CabFloor_BEFORE_CLEAN_2.jpg
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	259696

Name:	CabFloor_BEFORE_CLEAN_1.jpg
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	259697

Name:	CabFloor_AFTER_CLEAN_1.jpg
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	259698

Name:	CabFloor_AFTER_CLEAN_2.jpg
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	259699

Name:	NearsideDoorstep_AFTER_CLEAN.jpg
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	259700

Name:	OffsideDoorstep_AFTER_CLEAN.jpg
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	259701

Name:	RubberFloor_BEFORE.jpg
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	259702

Comment

Handbrake spring DIY repair

Name:	HandbrakeMod_BROKEN.jpg
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	261318
                              Oh dear...

Finally got a bit of time to check Bully over ahead of his MOT. Got him a fresh certificate with no advisories after replacing the rear brake hoses and fixing the broken handbrake release spring under the van. The plastic coupler had snapped leaving the spring dangling and redundant. This causes the handbrake to stick and quite loudly disengage as you move the van. No time to get an OEM part in so thought I'd try a bit of damn good engineering (B.O.D.G.E).

I used a recessed brake nut from a bicycle front brake. Just happens to be M6 threaded and matches the end of the front handbrake cable.
                              Also had a closed eye bolt, also M6 threaded. Think it was from the orange DIY shop - LINK

Both needed a bit of chopping down but, in theory, this was going to work. And it does in reality. They're not stainless parts so this is a by no means permenant but a good DIY fix for now. Might chop the bolt down a bit more so I can wind it further onto the cable.

Name:	HandbrakeMod_COMPONENTS.jpg
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	261319
                              What you'll need...

Name:	HandbrakeMod_ASSEMBLED.jpg
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	261320
                              Chopped up and assembled...

Name:	HandbrakeMod_FITTED.jpg
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	261321
                              Fitted...
                              Now I've looked at it all, I want to replace all cables, the spring and give all the iron a good clean and paint.
                              No need to get me through the MOT, though.

Last edited by Weemac; 30 June 2017, 10:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X