Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unwin low profile seat rails

Hi
    has anyone fitted unwin low profile seat rails on the floor of their van? We've got some to fit. The van floor has 9 mm ply at the mo, the rails are 12 mm deep so gonna get some 12mm ply to lay on the top and cut out a strip for the rails to drop into.
    Does anyone know if there is anywhere in the floor we need to avoid when drilling to bolt the rails in? we don't want any nasty surprises. We've got spreader plates too.
    Up there for thinking, down there for dancing.

what have you got under your ply floor?

the floor of a t4 is not flat, so you can't just lay longitudinal rails on it and bolt them down. you need something to level the rails out and stop them rocking side to side, and that something should be steel, so you can bolt through it and torque the bolts up.

ideally you need to uncover the floor so you can see where the chassis rails are, and drill through those as they are the strongest point. and seeing as you've got to get under the van to put the bolts and spreader plates on, the easiest way to find out which points to avoid when drilling is to get underneath and have a look.

obviously if you don't want to carry passengers in the back then you can just bodge it in any old how.
    my van - http://just-t4s.co.uk/showthread.php...02-800-special

Comment

Hi
      don't know what is under the existing ply, there was a rock n roll bed in there and we've taken that out and bought a platform bed instead.
      We can't get under the van to see anything, did find someone who will put the rails and floor in for us but wanted to try and save some money.
      We will be carrying passengers and i guess since there was a bed in before that was safe and strong i imagine the floor is securely fitted. We thought drilling through the chassis would be the best place just didn't want to hit any brake or fuel lines along the way.
      Thanks for the pointers. Was gonna take a look today but the weather is pants.

Comment

https://just-t4s.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1999

Sent from my D6503 using Just T4s

Comment

Thanks for the thread. Might pay someone to put them in for me. Just wanna get them in and make a start on something else.

Comment

Originally posted by Lubee View Post
            Thanks for the thread. Might pay someone to put them in for me. Just wanna get them in and make a start on something else.
            If you got the cash then go for it. Just make sure they use thick steel spreader plates underneath. Here's what I've done - Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0009.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	259582Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0012.JPG
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	259583Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0013.JPG
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	259584

Comment

Hi 888 special, thanks for the pics. The new pre cut ply arrived today just laid it in to check the fit it's ok and saved loads of messing around. Underneath it looks like most things are out of the way and there is space to drill holes, think we gonna try fitting them ourselves probably at the weekend. There are a couple of holes already there from when the rock n roll bed was in so we gonna follow the line down from those.

Comment

Dont over tighten other wise this will cause the rail to pull down on bolting points making clamping in seats a pain in the ass

Sent from my SM-A520F using Just T4s

Comment

Ok thanks for the warning. Hope we can get it right

Comment

Yeh also I found that when using the small square spreader plate, when tightening them up if you go too far it does warp the floor (pulled upwards) so it's best to use big squares or the long steel strips like in my photos. I didn't have a clue what I was doing at first but read loads on this forum and got lots of great advice. Took my time but now it's in I know I don't have to revisit it. (until I change to rock n roll) 😁

Comment

We bought some spreader plates they're 14mm (5.5 inches) and 70mm bolts with big washers so fingers crossed they'll work ok. Thanks again everyone for your help don't think we would have tried ourselves without it. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170518_215811.jpg
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	259602
                      bolts so hope

Comment

We are laying 12mm ply on top of the existing 9mm ply so we have the depth for the rails but can't decide whether to leave the old carpet down so it's sandwiched between the 2 sheets for insulation or take it up and put foil bubble insulation between the 2 instead. The 9mm ply was in the van when we got it and is rivited down i don't think there is any insulation under it so thought better to put something there. Anyone got any thoughts on this?

Comment

Originally posted by Lubee View Post
                          We are laying 12mm ply on top of the existing 9mm ply so we have the depth for the rails but can't decide whether to leave the old carpet down so it's sandwiched between the 2 sheets for insulation or take it up and put foil bubble insulation between the 2 instead. The 9mm ply was in the van when we got it and is rivited down i don't think there is any insulation under it so thought better to put something there. Anyone got any thoughts on this?
                          Leaving the carpet may not be a good idea in case water gets in it will go rotten?
                          After bolting my seat rails/frame I have laid 20mm thick wood batons across the width of the van floor which I am then laying the bubble foil sheet in between then I am re-laying the 12mm ply that was in there when I got it.

I bought the foil today and the laying instructions state not to pack it in but staple it so it's suspended between batons so that there is airflow (I'm assuming it's also in case of water getting in). Like you have said I too thought I could pack out the cavity and Sandwich it in. I may still do that but have to be 100% sure it's stay dry.

Comment

Don't think water will get in between the 2 layers of ply to rot the carpet. Gonna put bitumen or something under the van when the tracks are bolted in to stop water from the road corroding the spreader plates and bolts.

Comment

Can any water get to it from above in the event of spillage or leakage? Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

Comment

Working...
                              X