my beloved X reg T4 Kombi Transporter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my beloved X reg T4 Kombi Transporter

First, hello to the forum, I am hoping you will be able to help with my question.
    Last week my beloved X reg T4 Kombi Transporter (her name was Fanny) was deemed a right off following a collision. She took the force side on, driver’s side, the other car hitting the area around the front wheel, the front axle was badly damaged, she proved to be a tank, saving us from serious injury. Collecting our belongings the following day from the recovery yard was a difficult and sad day, but we all survived the accident with just cuts and bruises so lots to be thankful for.
    Fanny had been with us for nine years, before that she had had two owners. She has proved to be reliable, just over 130000 miles on the clock, a great family ‘bus’ and useful van when needed. The back seats were removable, she could seat 9 max, (I still have the removable seats) windows all round, 4 doors, (slide door to side), and not sure what she is officially called, minibus, van, transporter kombi, window van?
    She had the odd small scratch and shallow dent, a little rust around the fuel cap (fuel cap ?) and seemed to need her fan belt changing every couple of years, as it squealed a lot, especially in cold wet weather. Most often passing her MOT with flying colours, with maybe the odd advisory. I was hoping to keep her running for the rest of her life. It’s been a week and I miss her.
    Presently I am awaiting the right off payment from my insurance company and I am worried that they won’t understand her true worth and the cost of replacing her. For some help/ammo I am asking you for some tips to pull together some evidence of Fanny’s value, I am not greedy or unrealistic, just unsure what might be fair. There are so many price variations; I am confused as to where she fits.
    I am obviously hoping to replace her is I possibly can.
    Thank you in advance.

Hello welcome and your story is so sad.
    Why have the insurance written her off? Reason I ask is if it's due to cost to repair then you may be able to buy her back and repair with the money from pay out.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Just T4s

Comment

Was going to suggest that. A client of mind had his Rover written off, i suggested this but they seemed to put up lots of barriers to make it awkward.......insuranr company are bandits

Comment

Originally posted by S49 View Post
        Was going to suggest that. A client of mind had his Rover written off, i suggested this but they seemed to put up lots of barriers to make it awkward.......insuranr company are bandits
        It does depend on the wording of the policy. Both my policys have buy back (it's a stipulation i have. Even if it's just for the unaccountable parts)

Comment

There's a ton of evidence supporting both sides of the financial argument and therein lies your problem.

Find an identical van or vans with your same mileage and spec & where it falls short price up the components and fitting. It's a steep mountain to climb as your battling the " guides ". Agreed value is the way to go in future but buy back & rebuild should be your main focus.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Just T4s

Comment

If for any reason they wouldn’t let you buy the van back are you still allowed the contents, ie r&r bed, cabinets lights etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

Comment

this would be great, but I don't feel I have the expertise or contacts to undertake a commitment like this, also no off road parking to store and assess the possible cost. I will ask the insurers about this option as I would be interested to know what their policy is. I have yet to reply to their offer of £3400. Thank you for your reply.

Comment

Thank you for your help.
                I have the removable seats, not drivers or front passenger ,so the van was pretty much empty.

Comment

I had not come across agreed value before this, certainly something to consider in the future. Buy back and rebuild would be my dream, but I think the cost would be to great for me. I will take you advice to find similar as a comparison. many thanks

Comment

Hi, mine was written off just after I had her. I got rear-ended and the other person admitted liability. X reg Ex-AA 2.5tdi. Was valued at £4500 by insurance company and I bought her back for under £800 and spent about £100 repairing the minimal damage. Sounds a lot less damage than yours though so probably no help to you.

Sent from my G8141 using Just T4s

Comment

Originally posted by THEFAITHFULFAN View Post
                      I had not come across agreed value before this, certainly something to consider in the future. Buy back and rebuild would be my dream, but I think the cost would be to great for me. I will take you advice to find similar as a comparison. many thanks
                      Who are you insured with? Also got to remember it wasn't your fault.... so your insurer is obliged to argue your case - just need to put a case together.... got any pics before the accident? My mate has just traded his swb conversion against a T4 chassis motor home for £16k (about what he paid to build it) so don't under estimate the market. Follow a couple on ebay and bid them up taking screenshots [emoji6] 5k-7k can be achieved (mileage,colour,spec etc.) I think £3400 is at the bottom end.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Just T4s

Comment

Originally posted by THEFAITHFULFAN View Post
                        It's always worth an ask.

Comment

If any conciliation I was involved in a similar low speed accident where a third party drove into my passenger side front wheel on my combi last year. Not my fault. Externally damage was barely noticeable as there was only a thumb print size dent on wheel arch. All damage was underneath, steering suspension drive shafts, track rods the list went on. Insurance assessed value at £3500 and cost of repairs at £3750 so said was uneconomical to repair. I then struggled to find a similar milage and condition replacement. I didn't ask about buying it back as I am not in a position to be without transport or have time space etc to put it right. They did however increase payment to the value of the cost of repairs plus out if pocket expenses. If I had had more time I would have contested further and provoded evidence to try and increase payout as had to bare cost of setting up replacement van to my work requirements. Good luck

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by gavcampbell45 View Post
                            If any conciliation I was involved in a similar low speed accident where a third party drove into my passenger side front wheel on my combi last year. Not my fault. Externally damage was barely noticeable as there was only a thumb print size dent on wheel arch. All damage was underneath, steering suspension drive shafts, track rods the list went on. Insurance assessed value at £3500 and cost of repairs at £3750 so said was uneconomical to repair. I then struggled to find a similar milage and condition replacement. I didn't ask about buying it back as I am not in a position to be without transport or have time space etc to put it right. They did however increase payment to the value of the cost of repairs plus out if pocket expenses. If I had had more time I would have contested further and provoded evidence to try and increase payout as had to bare cost of setting up replacement van to my work requirements. Good luck

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
                            Years ago, I had a car stolen and never recovered. It was a "grey" Japanese import, so it was difficult to put an official value on it. It was in very good condition with very low mileage, despite being 14 years old, and I knew it was worth £5k. The insurance company sent me a cheque for £2.5k, so I went on the Auto trader website, and printed off about 10 adverts of similar vehicles in similar condition and mileage to mine all priced at around £5k. I sent these back to the insurance company, together with the original cheque for £2.5k. About a week later, they sent me a cheque for the £5k, minus my excess. So whatever happens, don't just accept their first offer.

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Just T4s mobile app

Comment

Thank you, you advice is very helpful, I will definitely try to find similar models to mine as I really believe she is worth more than what has been offered.
                              kind regards

Comment

Working...
                              X