Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The van with no name

Hi to all.

Thinking its time to start a build thread.

From the off this will be a long, spread out journey, so please don't expect a vast amount of input on a daily basis, but its my intention to update when new content is available.

I bought my van a 800 special 1.9TD last September, locally, which makes a change. The wheels were the only non genuine items on the van, which truthfully i did initially like at first which probably helped in misting up my head when looking at the van, that fuzzy feeling you get when you feel its the right one for you and all judgement is just one thick cloud of naivity, as you believe all that the seller is telling you, in that there are no issues whatsoever!! It wasn't till i had made the purchase that i found 2 of the wheels had been welded and they were in worse condition than i anticipated.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_2bfb.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	199.6 KB
ID:	272191

Name:	fullsizeoutput_2bfa.jpg
Size:	197.0 KB
ID:	272192

Need to work out how to reduce picture size at this point, so please bare with me.

Anyway van was bought and driven home. Did the usual full service, cam belt change etc and coincidentally from then it seemed to run worse, smoking, burning oil, anyway, turns out turbo was goosed, great, more expense, there quite often is a reason why people sell their vehicles on and it isn't always due to an upgrade, the upgrade is due to the problems with their existing vehicle. Anyway, my problem now i guess!! So recon turbo fitted, vacuum pipes swapped and it does run, better than it ever did since my ownership. However, 1 morning the battery was dead, oh crap, garage said battery was goosed, ok new battery then, few days later that battery was dead.... oh for goodness sake i thought. Anyway bought a circuit tester, turns out fuse 19 had a 1.3A draw, hence killing the battery. Was linked to the rad fans/run on or the auxiliary pump, bought new pump, reduced the draw, but still quite high at half an amp. As soon as fuse put back in, the new pump started but didn't switch off, Anyway took the connector off the 2 pin sensor at the front/bottom of the engine, voila the pump stopped, so new sensor bought and fit, however......... lol the crappy little, flimsy, 20 yr old wires on the connector, 1 decided to break off the connector, so that is in the process of being fixed.

That's pretty much where I'm at.

I have fit the obligatory gear stick extension and new knob! 1 piece cab mat, upgrade stereo with dash speakers and underseat sub, which is in fact located up behind towards the glove compartment and I've just had an alarm/immobiliser fitted.

I do have a couple more pics, but they won't upload as i believe they are too big, but will work on it.

My intention is to convert to a camper on a bit of a budget as per the start of this thread i have spent more money than i hoped from the off, which i am fully aware is par the coarse while being a T4 owner.

Freshly tinted rear window as of yesterday.

Name:	31494644_10214403273248747_8432045235448292704_n.jpg
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	272193

Looks like a nice van. Welcome

Comment

Hello, welcome. Clean van you have there. As for budget interiors, mine stands me at less than 200 euros so it can be done.
      Me cago en la madre que te pariĆ³!

Comment

Hi, despite your turbo and battery issues still looks a nice solid starting point. Trimmed our rear out with 90 quids worth of 4 way, so costs can be kept down.

Comment

Nice looking van, welcome to team white
          Life's Better at the Beach

Comment

Hi and welcome nice van and loke the wheels

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Just T4s

Comment

Nice van. Looks good

Sent from my D6503 using Just T4s

Comment

Looks like it's a load better than you made out!
                Looking forward to this thread.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Just T4s

Comment

You have a great van and foundation for a long term relationship . Unfortunately T4 Purchase & Ownership will always be coupled with gremlins, aging and maintence. It's a learning curve and education but the ownership benefits outweigh the negatives. Keep up the good work and enjoy the journey with us.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Just T4s

Comment

Well said a8. Also, if you want help naming him let us know and we will all chip in with suggestions. No "Vanny McVanface" ones either, please guys.
                    Me cago en la madre que te pariĆ³!

Comment

Tidy T4!

Comment

How's about ABeL? [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G901F using Just T4s

Comment

Despite the mechanical gremlins ,the van looks a good one .

Comment

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. The van in the 1st 2 pics, does look nice and clean, another positive from the seller, i have noticed though in the space of 6 months, especially the passenger side quite a few rust spots coming through, so wondering if it was made over that way to encourage the sale. I suppose everyone experiences these things and looks to blame the seller, but what can you do, its my problem now. I did semi convert a different non Vag van last year but ended up being rotten beyond repair - bet you can't guess what it was?! lol. I did manage to keep quite a few bits from that conversion, so hopefully it shouldn't be too bad to fully convert the new one. I intend to get something every month to complete the transformation.
                            With regards to a name, I am open to ideas, I recently thought about Snoopy, but not sure, I'm also undecided whether its male or female (what am i typing here) its a van for goodness sake lol

Comment

Welcome mate, it'll be smart once you get the niggles sorted, already looks tidy [emoji106]

Sell my T4 !!! I'd rather stick wasps up my butt.

Comment

Working...
                              X