Advice on changing glow plugs AJT engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on changing glow plugs AJT engine

Hi all, I’m after some advice on changing the glow plugs on an AJT engine ? Any suggestions, remove grill , remove Rad and then go from there ?

Short nose or long nose van?

Basically, get access, change plugs. Easy

Some people do it on a warm engine, I tend to apply a bit of tightening torque before trying to loosen them.

Why are you changing them?

Comment

Put the rad in the service position and its no problem.

Comment

Yes rad in service position. A nice bit of spare leak off pipe is handy for getting the new ones in. Pushed over the end of the pkug it grips it enough for you to get a few turns on it in the hole then pull off and tighten as normal.
        Out of interest you sure the old ones are dud?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Just T4s

Comment

It’s a short nose van , it takes 3 or 4 turns too start , garage diagnosed temp sensor ( which I’ve changed ) and glow plugs .
          When it’s warm it starts on the button

Comment

Ahhh now i remember. So you bought the van after then. Tidy darts.

Comment

Diagnosed glow plugs or just guessing?

fuse gone?

are they getting a supply?

What are your leakdown pipes like - they cause the same problem, by far the most common fault I see, cost a few £ and a few minutes to fix

The reason I ask if it was a short nose - because there's no service mode on the long nose so didn't want to assume.

Comment

Check leak off pipes first, recently did them on mine as it become hard to start after sitting. After a long journey you'd also get a wiff of hot diesel coming from the the grill too.
                A month ago she became hard to start again.... then I noticed the smell of fuel from the side, looked under and saw it was the 'T' I put in the fuel line for the heater was leaking.

Very sensitive to fuel line issues these engines.
                1999 2.5 TDI

Comment

Originally posted by DubDick View Post
                  Certainly are, I'd say 90% of the faults I see are related to air being drawn into the pump one way or another, leakdown pipes are no 1 cause.

VW fitted a clear section in the fuel line solely to allow easy inspection for bubbles present in the fuel flow

Comment

Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
                    Certainly are, I'd say 90% of the faults I see are related to air being drawn into the pump one way or another, leakdown pipes are no 1 cause.

VW fitted a clear section in the fuel line solely to allow easy inspection for bubbles present in the fuel flow
                    Thanks I’ll try and have a look too see if I can see the clear pipe

Originally posted by DubDick View Post
                    Check leak off pipes first, recently did them on mine as it become hard to start after sitting. After a long journey you'd also get a wiff of hot diesel coming from the the grill too.
                    A month ago she became hard to start again.... then I noticed the smell of fuel from the side, looked under and saw it was the 'T' I put in the fuel line for the heater was leaking.

There’s no smell of diesel ,I’ll have too look for leaks .

Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
                    Diagnosed glow plugs or just guessing?

fuse gone?

are they getting a supply?

What are your leakdown pipes like - they cause the same problem, by far the most common fault I see, cost a few £ and a few minutes to fix

The reason I ask if it was a short nose - because there's no service mode on the long nose so didn't want to assume.
                    The glow plug light comes on with ign and then goes out ,would I still need to check fuse , also if I change the leak down pipes would I need to bleed the system after ? Are the leak down pipes anything special or just fuel pipes ?

Originally posted by Hoopdub View Post
                    Ahhh now i remember. So you bought the van after then. Tidy darts.

Yes mate , I made an offer I was comfortable with and ended up buying the van , I want it mechanically sound before I start spending on the interior/exterior, lowering etc .
                    Last edited by Fruitbat; 15 March 2018, 08:34 PM.

Comment

Most motor factors stock lengths of leak off pipe. Just small fuel hose really. Change em and wind over till it goes if it don't just fire up.

Comment

So what happens to said tubes?
                        Me cago en la madre que te parió!

Comment

They perish with age. Much like me.

Comment

Vid of said clear pipe regcheeseman mentioned. The pipe isnt clear as in window clear, well mine isnt, its discoloured over time and now sports a sexy hue of shitty brown. Not the best vid as i was on me own, the pipe had no fuel in it before i started the vid and the van failed to start twice before it started on the third try, i then ran round and tried to capture the bubbles flowing in the pipe with the fuel. You can just make them out.

https://youtu.be/ZWHrDqQTtp4

Comment

I’ll try and do them on the weekend if I can get some pipe , anyone know the bore size , van starts on the button when warm though .

Comment

Working...
                              X