Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Longish lay off now black smoke

Hi
    Sorry to make my first post a quest for advice. My 1.9 T4 hasn't been stared since just after Christmas until today. It started perfectly and ticked over as it should. Pulling off seemed a touch sluggish but it was downhill on a slow lane so I didn't notice for a mile that it had little go. Flooring the pedal just gave black smoke and maybe a bit of a rattle like you get when giving hard throttle 2 or 3 gear to high.
    Later experimentation, after letting it warm up nicely, produces much the same. Its missing when you give it much more than half throttle.
    All was fine when it was last used. To me it all points to that nasty cold weather causing problems but as I know nowt about diesels it might not be. if it was a single cylinder 2 stoke engine I'd say a blocked main jet or stale petrol.
    Any ideas?
    many thanks

Hi, don't be sorry. Fire away. Is the EGR still on it? Diesel doesn't go stall like petrol. If you EGR stuck open it would smoke and wouldn't have a lot of go. Those are my first thoughts.

Comment

Hello and welcome, is all still ok or do you still have issues from cold?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Just T4s

Comment

Make sure your brakes are freed off... fit a new air filter then chuck some fresh diesel in with a cetane & cleaning additive, then take it for a thrash...

Sent from my SM-G901F using Just T4s
        Last edited by Activ8; 13 March 2018, 10:40 PM.

Comment

Needs an Italian tune up. Mine gets like that when it pootles round Gib, all short journeys. Find a bill and gun it. The additives will help too.
          Me cago en la madre que te parió!

Comment

Welcome!! Italian tune up plus some unicorn piss!

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
            Slowly slowly catchy monkey!

Comment

Cheers. Its doing it sitting still! Revving the balls off it create so much smoke I can't see the end of the bonnet! Maybe its getting better. Funnily enough I gave it one hard rev and it was dead clear. Not a whiff of smoke. Next time clouds.
              As far as I know the EGR is still there. Never really looked to be honest. Its too civilised to be something to think about. My Isuzu engine Land Rover is where my attention goes. I'll have look for some additive and see if I can drain the virtually full tank to stick some fresh stuff in. The wife's idea is to keep all vehicles full "just in case".
              Worth cleaning a fuel filter?

Any benefits to ditching the EGR?

Comment

Black smoke? [emoji848] Too much fuel, or in other words not enough air.

Try cleaning out the air box, making sure it's not full of leaves or shit. [emoji106]

Bear in mind that the 1.9TD is a fairly simple engine, no ECU controlling fuelling, no MAF sensors or crap like that - simple basic stuff.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Just T4s
                '00 1.9TDI LWB, '87 Mk2 Golf 16v

Wheel or tyre question? Just ask, it's what i do!

Comment

I would say egr stuck open abit

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Just T4s

Comment

Hi and welcome, all good tips there mate. Keep us updated.

Comment

Cheers and will do. How do I check EGR?

Comment

Make up aplate or buy one off fleabay and blank off. if the fault goes happy daze.

Comment

Checked air filter. Clean as a clean thing and service record says its about 500 miles old so just stood on the throttle until the fans kicked in (my clue to tell me its warm as the temp gauge isn't working. See incoming thread!). Did this a few times and it improved so went for a thrash. Gradually improved to the point that my hill to home that was 20mph in 2nd and no rear visibility is now 45 in 4th and a bit of smoke. As that's what my Jimny and Land Rover do I'm happy there. Still a bit hesitant when revving hard. May lok at EGR.
                          Any reason not to remove it any way? Any benefit?
                          Thanks for the help.

Comment

If you blank it, it will stop your inlet manifold filling up with sticky carbon gloop. Imagine a pipe from your arse to your mouth and you had to feed on that 30 percent of the time ........you wont run very well I wouldn't think.

Comment

Originally posted by S49 View Post
                              If you blank it, it will stop your inlet manifold filling up with sticky carbon gloop. Imagine a pipe from your arse to your mouth and you had to feed on that 30 percent of the time ........you wont run very well I wouldn't think.
                              Love the descriptive! But yup your right in the money.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Just T4s

Comment

Working...
                              X