Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cooling fans, temperature gauge and warning light...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooling fans, temperature gauge and warning light...

I have had a quick scan through the forum and found bits and pieces but not sure if I have found the right information.

Firstly, temp gauge doesn't work. Pretty 'normal' as far as I understand it. But now have a red warning light blinking intermittently at me. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. Mostly it does.

Oil and water are no issues but I was wondering about the cooling fans. I haven't 'heard' them running and wonder when they should kick in? Is it when the engine is hot enough and the thermostat opens? Also, was looking at the fans and there are 'pieces' missing on the plastic cover. None seem to be in the fan housing itself. Is that an issue?

Is there a way to turning the fans 'on' to check they do actually work?

Had a heavy drive yesterday, lots of climbing, so would have thought if there were an 'issue' it would have shown itself there.

Just want to make sure I don't have any cooling issues with summer fast approaching!

Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by T4-Portugal View Post
    I have had a quick scan through the forum and found bits and pieces but not sure if I have found the right information.

Firstly, temp gauge doesn't work. Pretty 'normal' as far as I understand it. But now have a red warning light blinking intermittently at me. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. Mostly it does.

Oil and water are no issues but I was wondering about the cooling fans. I haven't 'heard' them running and wonder when they should kick in? Is it when the engine is hot enough and the thermostat opens? Also, was looking at the fans and there are 'pieces' missing on the plastic cover. None seem to be in the fan housing itself. Is that an issue?

Is there a way to turning the fans 'on' to check they do actually work?

Had a heavy drive yesterday, lots of climbing, so would have thought if there were an 'issue' it would have shown itself there.

Just want to make sure I don't have any cooling issues with summer fast approaching!

Thanks in advance.
    Mine kicks in spot on at 90 degrees, you could try fooling the sensor into thinking it’s above 90 see what happens?

Sent from my iPad using Just T4s

Comment

Take the wiring plug off the fan switch. There are 3 wires. With the engine running one should be 12v. Jump from 12v to one wire you will find fans come on low speed. Jump to other wire they come on high speed. If this isnt happening you will have a fault with either the large strip fuses. Relay control unit or fans themselves. If fans work fine testing but not with wiring plugged back in change the sensor. Fans should come on slow speed at 90 go off at 87 come on high speed at 93 go off 90.

Comment

Working...
      X